• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [BOOT ANIMATION] ICS by BlackDino (updated 1/3/12)

i wonder why this (or another HD boot animation) wasn't used to begin with.. nice work! i always liked the stock animation, just switched over from your LightFlow boot ani.

Because the HD pngs file size were huge. I had to do a lot of compressing and optimizing to get them down to a point where they wouldn't lag like crazy on boot. But I dunno why Google decided not to go through the same effort :rolleyes:

Anyway, to solve the lag on the first loop, I'm thinking of using the low-res images for the first loop then switching to high-res after that. No idea if that will actually work but it can't hurt to try.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Anyway, to solve the lag on the first loop, I'm thinking of using the low-res images for the first loop then switching to high-res after that. No idea if that will actually work but it can't hurt to try.

I'm guessing you'll just find out that it lags on the first round of low res images anyway. It appears to me (since the ENTIRE first round of high res images lags, and ONLY that round) that each frame is getting cached and that's why the second and subsequent rounds are fast.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing you'll just find out that it lags on the first round of low res images anyway. It appears to me (since the ENTIRE first round of high res images lags, and ONLY that round) that each frame is getting cached and that's why the second and subsequent rounds are fast.

So you're saying it would lag on the first round of low res and then the first round of the high res ones too? Makes sense.

Upvote 0
How exactly do I get this to work? I tried flashing in CWM multiple times and got an error "installation shorted". I'm running AOSP M2 and LeanKernel in case it makes any difference. TIA!

A few questions:

Are you doing it through Rom manager? If so try it the other way: drop the file on root of your virtual sdcard, reboot into recovery and flash.

You running stock CWM 5.5.0.4 right no modded cwm versions? If on a modded cwm (like touch or larger font) try the stock CWM.

Did ya check the Md5?

Upvote 0
A few questions:

Are you doing it through Rom manager? If so try it the other way: drop the file on root of your virtual sdcard, reboot into recovery and flash.

You running stock CWM 5.5.0.4 right no modded cwm versions? If on a modded cwm (like touch or larger font) try the stock CWM.

Did ya check the Md5?

Yeah I was trying through rom manager. Can you clarify what you mean by dropping it on root on the sdcard? Im not following. And yup running stock CWM

Upvote 0
Yeah I was trying through rom manager. Can you clarify what you mean by dropping it on root on the sdcard? Im not following. And yup running stock CWM

Sure :) hook your phone up to your PC, you should have a prompt or window open automatically, a window of your GN files (virtual sd card), drag and drop the dnld'd bootanimation zip file onto your virtual sd card (NOT inside another folder). Reboot into recovery either through rom manager or if the rom you run its advanced power menu and flash. Install zip from sdcard, choose zip, find it, confirm it. I assumed you are on Windows7 ?

Reactions: Namrak
Upvote 0
Sure :) hook your phone up to your PC, you should have a prompt or window open automatically, a window of your GN files (virtual sd card), drag and drop the dnld'd bootanimation zip file onto your virtual sd card (NOT inside another folder). Reboot into recovery either through rom manager or if the rom you run its advanced power menu and flash. Install zip from sdcard, choose zip, find it, confirm it. I assumed you are on Windows7 ?

Thanks for the details, just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly. It still won't work. I get the same error. Any other suggestions? I guess root explorer is a last resort...I dont really want to pay $4 for the app

Edit: I'm getting 60e0093fc2155159966cc560f7bf5031 for the md5

Edit again: Wow my md5 is wayyy different

Upvote 0
Thanks to jbdan for the help. Finally got it working!

Anyone else having trouble, make sure to download from the multiupload option (after clicking on the OP's link). Do NOT use zshare or any other such sites. Only use the "multiupload" link. If you do otherwise, you will get a file with a different md5 that cannot be flashed in CWM. The correct filename will be "Galaxy-Nexus-TheRoosevelt-Sharp-ICS-bootanimation-2". If you get a file with any name other than this it will not work AFAIK

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for this. It works, but even after 4, 5 boot up sequences, there are still some lags on the animation at the beginning. Is this normal?

Not sure if you were confused by my statement that the first time through will lag... What I mean is, on every boot, the first cycle through the animations will lag because it's caching them all in memory. It's just speculation on my part anyway, but I didn't mean that it will get better on the second boot. It just lags for the entire first animation cycle on every boot, and then the subsequent cycles are smooth.

Reactions: chamjin and jbdan
Upvote 0
Not sure if you were confused by my statement that the first time through will lag... What I mean is, on every boot, the first cycle through the animations will lag because it's caching them all in memory. It's just speculation on my part anyway, but I didn't mean that it will get better on the second boot. It just lags for the entire first animation cycle on every boot, and then the subsequent cycles are smooth.

OH... got it. Thanks. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones