• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Bootloader Unlock on Verizon - Can You Clarify?

CTB6

Dec 17, 2010
Hi all. This weekend I crushed my current phone, so I'm looking at getting a Moto X (not the new, bigger one) and moving to Verizon. I've searched the web and found a lot of confusing statements about the Verizon version and rooting.

The Developer Edition can obviously be rooted, as its bootloader can be easily unlocked (or may be already). Can the regular Verizon edition also have this done? It looks like Verizon provides this service on their website, but without a phone ID, I can't actually check if you can finish the unlock process.

All I want to do is to root the phone so that I can block ads, use various apps that require root (backup, etc.), etc. I'm not looking to do custom ROMS or anything like that.

Is what I'm looking to do possible on the Verizon non-Developer version? Thanks very much for your help. I'd like to get the Moto X, but not if I have to put up with ads, etc. Thanks again.

Sorry for the late reply. As far as I know, there is no way to get an unlock code from Motorola or verizon for a stock Moto X. There is the Sunshine app by jcase which can unlock the moto x, but it must be able to get root to do so, and the 4.4.4 version cannot be rooted at this time, and I've read no rumors suggesting that a root vulnerability is imminent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones