• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] can someone post a link to the step by step instructions for flashing the 4.0.4 update??

i've been googling for 20 minutes and can no longer find those instructions. :mad:

i'm referring to the ones that show a non-tech person how to do it (the easiest way) from a totally stock nexus. i need the instructions to back up my phone too so i can go back to stock if need be.

thanx :D

Update an Unrooted Verizon Galaxy Nexus with a Locked Bootloader to 4.0.4/IMM30B - YouTube

Here's the OTA to Download: http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-mysid-IMM76K-from-ICL53F.12f767e7.zip

^that is the official 4.0.2 (IMM30B) to 4.0.4 (IMM76K) OTA incremental update.

Here's Menpodroid: http://cache.saurik.com/android/armeabi/mempodroid

Here's the Android SDK: Android SDK | Android Developers

It's a long video. Read the description and watch the whole thing. Basically, since the GNex doesn't let you update arbitrary files, you have to somehow get the OTA into /cache/update.zip. Problem is, you need root to do that. Mempodroid gives you temporary root access via adb (Android Developer Bridge, it's in the SDK).

In short, you use adb to push mempodroid to your device as well as the OTA renamed update.zip.
Then you use adb to start a shell session where you navigate to the mempodroid location, running it with the specific Hex codes for your device. This give you temporary root access through adb.
With this root access, you copy (the "cat" command) the update.zip to /cache.
From there, you're pretty much set, exiting root, deleting mempodroid if you want, and exiting shell.
Then you reboot into recovery and flash the update.

Upvote 0
If any non-root folk decide to go this route, I'd offer a few suggestions. When you goto the sdk site, there are 2 options to install. Use the zip option, not the installer. Download the sdk zip to your PC, then unzip the contents to the root of your C drive. Once that's done, go to the android-sdk-windows folder, and then launch the sdk manager. That'll open a log. Once it does it's thing close it out and then you should see all the available downloads for the sdk. Check only the Tools box. Leave everything else unchecked or it'll take forever and you'll end up with a bunch of stuff you don't need. That should give you adb/fastboot access provided you have the necessary drivers installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones