[Verizon] Can't flash Clockwork touch recovery

Last Updated:

1. kool kat2

kool kat2 Well-Known Member

file named 'recovery.img' is in the platform-tools folder, where the fastboot file is

galaxy nexus is unlocked

in the correct directory

command im typing is : fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

response is: error: cannot load 'recovery.img'

reinstalled drivers

same issue

phone is recognized when i type adb devices and fastboot devices

about to punch computer:mad:

help?:eek:

Advertisement
  2. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

I just went the lazy route and paid the $2 through google play. I mean its a pretty swell job they did and I'm sure they deserve my $2

Sent using Tapatalk, the free one.
  3. kool kat2

i did that the first time too.... the problem is, this is my 3rd nexus and im not sure it will be my last..... does anyone know if the paid version of rom manager asks for the $2 as well?
  4. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

Is the file named recovery.img?

Sounds like it is named something different since fastbooot and adb are working. Remember, terminal needs exact file names for proper pushing of files. So, if the recovery image is named stupidrecoveryimagethatwontpush.img, then push that exact file name. Include the entire file directory. Example is: c:\sdk\platform-tools\exactnameofrecoveryimagefile.img

jmar
  5. kool kat2

yea its named recovery.img

one thing though, im using the shit+right click method to open the command window to the directory. would that have any impact? if so, where can i find the proper commands to go about doing it manually, i couldnt seem to find specific instructions for that, ive always just copied from the How-to's and dont know commands myself.

EDIT: nvm about the commands, it looks like i got it (when i finally decide to ask lol)

EDIT 2: if anyone doubts that Im doing what I say, I can try to take a video of what I'm doing. I've seen other threads when i googled that just end up saying they forgot to add the .img at the end so im lost.
  6. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

If I am not mistaken you must be in the directory and when you run the command fastboot flash recovery ~/platform-tools/recovery.img you have to type out the recovery file's directory. Also, have to ask. Is the phone booted to the bootloader?
    kool kat2 likes this.
  7. kool kat2

OK so it would be

Fastboot flash recovery "directory/here/recovery.img" ?

Also, yes, from a turned off phone I press the volume buttons and the power button and boot up to the screen with the Android undergoing surgery.
  8. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yeah just cd to the platform-tools directory if you weren't already there. You seemed to be there but just making sure. So kinda like this (if sdk were on root of c drive:

cd c:\
    cd android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

If that doesn't work, check the size of the recovery.img download. If it doesn't match, ditch it and re-obtain the file.
    kool kat2 likes this.
  9. iowabowtech

Guess I should have asked if you're using Win/Linux/Mac. Just noticed you are using forward slashes in your post above.
  10. kool kat2

Using windows. I'll try tonight and see what happens. I've downloaded the files several times too and get the same results. When I've been typing the commands I've been using back slashes.

I checked on the clockwork site and can't find a file size or md5. Any way to check that?
  11. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Yep! Several ways / options: http://androidforums.com/faqs/443074-md5-verification.html

Also, regarding flashing recoveries, FYI, my Android Root Toolkit app will flash two of the stock recoveries (4.0.1 and 4.0.2--I'll be adding 4.0.4 hopefully this weekend--been crazy busy at work) and four custom recoveries.

The app's free in the Market...cheers!
  12. iowabowtech

^^Great app, I use it regularly.

Another thought in the name of science though...are you using the supplied USB cable that came with the phone? If not, try it if possible or at least try a different cable if you can. I know you're getting positive results with the fastboot devices command but sometimes the hangup seems to be with data transfer. Some cables don't play well in that regard for whatever reason.
    scary alien and kool kat2 like this.
  13. kool kat2

Thanks for the tip scary alien. Now I'm back in business :D

As for the USB cable, I don't have one. I have a random cable that seems to lag when transferring files in general... I have a few others that I can try until I order another one. Hopefully one of those work and I find out I wasn't screwing something up lol.

Thanks for the help so far everyone and hopefully another cable works. If not, I may have to set everything up again but I imagine that would be unnecessary if my device is being recognized through adb and fadstboot, right?
    scary alien and iowabowtech like this.
  14. iowabowtech

Yeah you shouldn't have to set it up again. I'm putting my money on the cable especially since you've seen some issues with it in the past. Keep us updated, I'm curious to know if it solves the file transfer dilemma.
  15. tyguy829

tyguy829 Member

Im guessing you've figured it out by now, but when you download the recovery, it is named something like recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.2-toro.img right? Well, the .img doesn't show in windows explorer. so when you rename it to recovery.img, you are actually renaming it to recovery.img.img! So just rename it to "recovery" and the .img will stay tagged on the end, but just not show. Now just re-issue "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (make sure you are in the bootloader) and you should be golden.
    jbdan likes this.