Verizon case reviewTips

1. zenman

zenman Well-Known Member

I'm a phone dropper so I knew I had to get a case. I bought the black verizon silicone one to use temporarily until a seidio or other better quality case becomes available. They also had a bright blue one available but I thought the black looked a bit nicer. To be honest I pretty much loathe this thing. It's not as smooth as the Seidio case I used on my DINC, and the cut out around the power button makes it uncomfortable to push the button. Instead of a cut out for the volume knob, the case has it's own built in raised buttons. These make it much easier to use than the power button but I've accidentally adjusted the volume many times while trying to hit the power button. This has probably more to do with the phone's layout than the case itself.

All the other cut outs are properly placed but the one around the usb cover makes it even more difficult to open/close than it already is. I will likely be snipping that cover off but I like the fact it makes the phone water resistant so I'm still on the fence there.

I have to repeat how much I dislike the cut out around the power button, it's really lame.

Advertisement
    :
  2. climberman

climberman Well-Known Member

I bought the black case too......out of an abundance of caution....... and dislike it just as much....... I have been running without a case and love the thin feel and smooth round edges of the DNA.......

Surprisingly the bottom plastic clip covering the charging port does not seem to bother me as much as the reviewers observed and threads commenting on this. I am using my New Trent external charger and have not had any trouble opening or closing the plastic clip so far. I

I am also using the LG charging pad quite a bit too and am enjoying the convenience of not dealing with wires....... will need one for the office and home...... haven't heard the full amount charge alarm noise at the end that folks have spoken about.

Have to say I am so impressed with this phone so far
  3. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member

I work and carry my phone in a rough environment. There was not a case that I would pay for when I picked up my phone. I already knew Otterbox was out. I ordered one when I got home and am being very careful this week.
  4. TrueMetalGeek

TrueMetalGeek Well-Known Member

When I went into the Verizon store to get my new DNA activated (renewed on daughters line, activated on my UNLIMITED line) they had two styles of cases.

The soft ones that came in black or blue and the plastic one with the kick stand that slides into a belt clip.

I of course bought the manly hard plastic one that slides into the belt clip. :)

I had the same style on my Rezound so I am used to it.

I don't have a screen protector on and may try to not use one.
  5. WuBoy

WuBoy Well-Known Member

I like the way the phone looks too much to get a case if I actually get this phone. That said, I'd consider it if there is a decent looking case with a kickstand. It's the one feature of the Thunderbolt I'll actually miss.
  6. Skipdawg

Skipdawg Well-Known Member

So far my DNA is still going naked. :D
  7. zenman

zenman Well-Known Member

I just looked at a picture and the otterboxes have the raised button above the power button instead of a cutout. Good call.
  8. schwooba

schwooba Member

I agree. That's why I took a dremel to one side of the case by the power button. Works out good now since my finger can slip right into that new groove.
  9. TangledThorns

TangledThorns Well-Known Member

10. PatyCake

PatyCake Well-Known Member

I'm going to roll half naked, I need the zagg invisible shield.
  11. red arrow

red arrow Well-Known Member

Bottomless, nice!
    PatyCake likes this.
  12. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I swear by Zagg, hopefully they release it soon, I am so nervous I am going to scratch my screen, but too cheap and hate the VZW screen protectors to go that route. So far though the GG2 is holding up well. If I get a case it will be Seidio Active, debating that though, because the phone is so sleek and beautiful, I hate to cover it up...
  13. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!! Moderator

I said that with my Rezound and never ended up putting a screen protector on it and now it has tiny tiny marks on it. So this time I got a protector from verizon until I can get a good one from zagg when I get time.

BC
    AntimonyER likes this.
  14. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Great, thanks for doubling my anxiety ;) too bad, today zaggs are 50% off too.
  15. 211275

211275 Well-Known Member

I am probably going to get that soft gel case from Verizon, no screen protector though. The DNA has Gorilla Glass 2 on it. There are videos of people stabbing GG 2 screens with knives and cutting them with hacksaws and they don't scratch. If you can somehow scratch it while its in your pocket, you should get an award of some kind :p
  16. zenman

zenman Well-Known Member

One thing I left out of my review: The silicone case does not have a cutout for the rear notification light, but since the case is not completely opaque, the light can be seen, just not very brightly.

Also, I've heard sand can scratch gorilla glass 2. I'm using the verizon screen protector as well as the case and so far so good.