• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Changing Upgrade Policy NE2 and Early Upgrade

I'd wait for the vitriol until this is actually announced and not just rumored, though it seems like a pretty solid rumor. Anyway, the way that I will handle this from now on is just to switch to a one year contract. (That said, as far as I know, I have never upgraded to a new handset before the 20 month "new every 2" date anyway, and I've been a customer since Verizon Wireless was Bell Atlantic Mobile - actually, maybe it was NYNEX Mobile, I can't remember which was first...) That said, if my Eris spits the bit anytime before my official NE2 in August I'll be doing an upgrade, and, like I said, it looks like I'll just renew it as a one year contract instead.

Upvote 0
I think that's what Verizon wants. They know how fast phone tech is moving right now, and they are betting that it will force people to choose the higher priced One Year contract instead of the two year.

What's higher priced about it? Remember, you pay more up-front for 12 months of extra subsidized payments, rather than for 20 months of subsidized payments. In other words, Verizon builds in extra pricing for the initial handset subsidy, so they are offering lower out-of-pocket cost for a 2 year contract rather than for a 1 year contract. That should not be so surprising.

As for me, the critical issue is that the warranty exists only for a year on most smartphones, so stretching out to 20 months with no way to get an upgrade contract at discount pricing 12 to 20 months does worry me a little.

Upvote 0
VZW getting ready for the Iphone.............?????

Ya know what, it is a good guess and probably related to that and let's not forget 4G.

Conspiracy theorists unite, but some speculate that a lot of the issues experienced on the AT&T network was the massive usage of Iphone users. Granted, ultimately VZW is probably looking at this as a money making venture, but perhaps it allows them to gradually introduce newer phones onto the network.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if this affects people (like me) that are the main account for a share plan? I bright the Eris on the 23rd a year ago on a 2 yr. contract, so i'm hoping i can still upgrade on the 23rd.

If i can't, can anyone suggest what i can do to upgrade without paying full price?

Yes, it would affect all consumer accounts, but everything that I have read so far says that this will go into effect after your next contract renewal. They are not changing your existing contract terms - in fact, if they do, I am pretty sure that you have the right to leave the contract without paying an ETF rather than accept the new terms.

So, in other words, if your contract allows you to upgrade from months 13-20 at subsidized prices, you will be able to do so until your contract expires or you renew your contract.

By the way, all of the material I have read says that the right to upgrade at discount pricing now happens at 13 months, not 12 months.

All that said, so far Verizon Wireless has not announced this officially, so we are really all guessing. Intelligent guessing, but guessing nonetheless.

Reactions: danmil05
Upvote 0
Well, my 20 months is up in September. I'm keeping my Eris until then. Then I'll use my NE2. Past that, I guess if companies do not reward loyalty, I am free to sign a new contract every year somewhere differently. The problem is, Verizon provides the best coverage in my area. I think that is a major leverage point for them in a lot of areas across the country.

Upvote 0
Yes, it would affect all consumer accounts, but everything that I have read so far says that this will go into effect after your next contract renewal. They are not changing your existing contract terms - in fact, if they do, I am pretty sure that you have the right to leave the contract without paying an ETF rather than accept the new terms.

So, in other words, if your contract allows you to upgrade from months 13-20 at subsidized prices, you will be able to do so until your contract expires or you renew your contract.

By the way, all of the material I have read says that the right to upgrade at discount pricing now happens at 13 months, not 12 months.

All that said, so far Verizon Wireless has not announced this officially, so we are really all guessing. Intelligent guessing, but guessing nonetheless.

Thank for the info. So by what you're saying in my case I can't upgrade untill Feb. 23rd since that would be 13 months after? Also, will I be able to upgrade to any of the newer phones like the ones reveled at CES?

Upvote 0
Thank for the info. So by what you're saying in my case I can't upgrade untill Feb. 23rd since that would be 13 months after? Also, will I be able to upgrade to any of the newer phones like the ones reveled at CES?

Honestly, I can only guess. The stories about this say that the policy goes into effect on January 16, that the existing policy allowed upgrades at 13 through 20 months at discount pricing (with a "new every two" discount and rebate at 20 months) is going away and only available to customers one more time. I'm just going on that.

Again, see this: More Details on Verizon’s New Upgrade Policy - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones