verizon charging for google sms?

Last Updated:

1. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just got a nasty text bill cause verizon charges for Google voice. Any one else run into this?

Advertisement
  2. DapCorderman

DapCorderman Well-Known Member

I suspect it's something else. I use GV heavily, text and voice. In fact 90% of my voice calls go in and out via GV and I send/receive 50-60 text messages daily with GV and I have not been charged anything other than my plan from Verizon.

3. aaron19953

aaron19953 Well-Known Member

i'm guessing gv is still forwarding a copy of your gv txt to your phone...

-=< aaron >=-

4. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

does it say text from GV?
    isn't texting included in the $29 package?

5. JMURobert

JMURobert New Member

Just check my account and it stopped listing texts the day I started using GV, so seems to be working

6. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

If you are receiving GV texts through a messenging app, then you are actually forwarding them to your phone from GV. If you turn this off and just use the GV app, then you will no longer be charged for texts. Sorry for your mishap, hopefully you can get it fixed before the next bill.

PS - Check out the My Verizon app, it will show you your data/text/minutes usage so you can better manage these sorts of things.

7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

IIRC I saw something like this in the past here and in fact, the person had either signed up for that "premium" text messaging package or it was because someone - a buddy - had gotten their phone and called or text'd one of those korny late night numbers (88joke) and it put them on some billable plan.

I do not believe 1 bit VZW is charging for GV text or usage.

8. phantom6294

phantom6294 Active Member

When I canceled my 250 msg plan (as well as Visual Voicemail) at a Verizon store, the guy asked me why and I said 'I have Google Voice, why pay for something I can get free' and he basically said... 'whoa, whoa whoa... how are you getting free text messages, it's still gonna cost you... just letting you know so you don't get some outrageous bill.' I just rolled my eyes and ignored him.

Who knows whether he was ignorant or assumed I wasn't using the Google Voice app (perhaps he assumed I was only using Google Voice's voice mail feature.)

In any case, since people use my GV number now (for calls and text) my text usage on Verizon has been exactly ZERO. So, as others have said... it's got to a be configuration problem with your GV account or people are still sending message to your cell number instead of your GV number.

9. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so today I called verizon and it was double texting. It was going threw handcent and verizon will charge you for that and it dose not matter if its to a verizon customer or not. So they charge you for the google number that comes in. I did not know this but heads up to anyone that uses GV. Make sure to not allow any messages to go to any app but GV.

So to be clear. What I was told that any sms that goes threw the phone is loged and charged. So GV is free from Google but not from verizon.

10. DapCorderman

So you don't have unlimited text? You also had GV forwarding each SMS to your phone instead of just using the GV app? In that case an SMS was sent to your phone, regardless of it being specifically a GV SMS, it was an SMS sent to your phone. Verizon will bill you for SMS (unless you have an unlimited plan) from any source, it being a Google Voice SMS has nothing to do with it.

11. Lock-N-Load

"It was going threw handcent" - huh? no charge to go thru handcent. handcent is just an SMS app like the stock app. so it is not something handcent specific.

this still makes no sense as you explain it. texts via GV are not charged. it is because you used forwarding in GV and that is counting as a text.

12. phantom6294

Not disagreeing... just maybe re-wording.

First, can Handscent even access TRUE GV text messages? I thought it merely tapped into the built in text messaging? If so, any messages received or sent via Handcent are using VERIZON'S text messaging service not GV's.

Or am I wrong about Handcent?

13. DapCorderman

Within the GV settings you can set to receive text messages on your phone, the GV app is not required. I used this for a year with my AT&T Blackberry. (SETTINGS -> PHONES -> EDIT -> Check "Receive text messages on this phone")

When this setting is enabled, GV will send the text received to your phone number as an SMS just as though the sender originally sent it to your Verizon number. The proper setting when the GV app is installed on your phone is to have that unchecked. Otherwise, you will receive two SMS notifications, one via GV app and one via Verizon messaging, which we suspect is where the OP is getting charged.

Handscent is just a shell app for the Verizon Messaging built into your phone. It doesn't work independently.

14. KidFlash

KidFlash Well-Known Member

I've read that the newest version of Google Voice counts texts towards your bill. That's why I haven't updated mine.

15. DapCorderman

It does not. The uproar is over Google now using a different number for each number dialed. When you place a call through the GV app it will reroute that call via a number (in most cases a 504 area code) that in Googles server corresponds to the number you originally dialed. In th eold version that number was the same for every number you dialed from your GV app. This made it easy to place the number in your Friends & Family list and have unlimited calling to any call placed via GV. The updated app now dials a different number for each number you dial out making it not as easy to get the unlimited via Friends & Family. Texting is unaffected.

16. Lock-N-Load

Dap nailed these both in his last 2 responses.

17. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Yeah, Dap is correct. If you are using Handcent to view you GV texts, then its because you have GV setup to forward (ie send a text, which costs money) to your phone. Handcent has no way to access GV texts otherwise. So like I said, use the Google Voice app to view/send texts and your problem will be solved.

BTW, Google Voice currently has no way to send MMS messages, so you'll have to stick with email or pay for each MMS. Might get costly if you have alot of people who send you pictures, as they wont know/wont care that you no longer have a texting plan. AFAIK, there is no way to block unwanted, incoming texts. I would recommend going with the 250 text plan, just as a failsafe for people who still text your VZW number.

18. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

IIRC, there are apps that place all outbound calls via your GV number for you so you can add it to F&F. I don't have first hand experience as we have a ton of minutes anyway as I can't get the better half to switch to GV.

Or not worry about it. I just don't send or receive MMS.

There are apps to block but it's important to understand that if an app is used then you have technically received the message already. It's only a useful solution if you don't want to see the message but not useful if you don't want to be billed for it.

As always, consider the source. I wouldn't trust the one you're referring to.

19. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

Is it necessary to have the Friends & Family option with your google voice number added to it to get free texts with google voice?

I don't have a text plan or friends & family. Am I able to use google voice for free texting?

20. eric16l

eric16l Active Member

NO, Google Voice does texts inside of their own app for free. As long as your Google Voice settings do not say to forward a copy of the text to your phone, then you are fine. No need for Friends and Family. That only benefits you using Google Voice if you are trying to get free phone calls.

21. phantom6294

People, let's boil this down to a simple list:

BOTTOM LINE:
    1. Messages sent to your actual cell phone number will cost you money; either per message or part of a text msg plan
    2. Messages sent to your Google Voice number:
    • Can be accessed free using Google Voice App
    • Can be accessed free by forwarding to your email (although the data plan needed to access email obviously isn't free)
    • Not free if you configure Google Voice to 'forward' to your actual cell number

Remember, the first key issue is to what number the SENDER sends the text message; cell phone or Google Voice number. Second, is how you configure and thus access messages sent to your Google Voice number.

Are we clear, everyone?

Here is the setting which may screw people up:
    [​IMG]

If I understand this setting correctly, enabling this means you don't have to use the GV App to receive text messages sent to your Google Voice number. However, it will use the pay for use service of the provider, as it 'forwards' the message to your cell phone number.

johnlgalt likes this.
  22. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Thanks for including the graphic. So many people just simply stated that the OP would get charged for having SMS forwarded to the phone, and one person gave instructions om how to disable it, but everyone forgot that some people aren't as savvy when it comes to setting up applications like this.

The pic makes all the difference in the world.

23. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

google settings

edit: just noticed the cleaner version above...

Attached Files:

24. EZE336

EZE336 Active Member

Do you have to set up a Google Voice number in order to do GV texts? The reason I ask is because I tried to set up a GV number and it said not are available for my area. :(

25. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Yes, you need a GV to set it up. Try a different area code maybe? That's one of the many good things about GV, it can be set up for any area code you want. It won't make a difference for texts or voicemail. It may make a difference if you are going to have people call you on it though, if they get charged for long distance or toll calls.