Verizon Customer Service ExperienceGeneral

Last Updated:

1. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here's my story: I've been having the same issues as everyone else, including a few lock-ups since the update (only two or three in the days following the update, and none since). But my main issue is that my phone will shut down and reboot itself while it is just sitting on the table. I've seen this happen three or four times (not to mention the times I don't actually see it happen).

So about 25 days into my 30 trial, I call customer service and they give me the factory reset solution, which is exactly what I expected them to say. So I did that and still had the same problem. Called again and they transfer me to some guy in tech support. He wanted me to remove all my apps to see if that was the problem and since this was on the 30th day, he extended my trial period for two days, when he wanted me to call him back with my results. So two days later I call him back to tell him that, instead of removing the apps, I just did another factory reset, without putting any apps on again, but still had the problem. However, he wasn't available at the number he gave me to call, so I left a message for him to call me back--he didn't. I called back the next day (by now his two day extension for my trial period is over) and he still isn't available, so I call customer service again and after explaining everything two or three times, the woman finally agrees to replace my phone under the 30 day, no worry guarantee. Nice.

Was expecting my phone yesterday or today, in fact, on Monday I got a voicemail from another cust. serv. rep asking about my experience and if my new equipment has arrived and if so, am I happy with it.

Now, Wednesday, I was starting to wonder when to expect the FedEx truck, and didn't want to leave the house and miss it. I was given no tracking number, and I can't find the order number the woman gave me so I call cust. serv. again (about an hour ago). Another woman tells me that the order never went through because payment information was needed to cover the cost of the new phone until they got my old one back. I guess they were just waiting for me to call back to tell me that. So she finishes the order and sets it up for overnight delivery (I now have to change plans for tomorrow to be here for it), and then tells me that my account will be billed something like 186 bucks for the phone, until they get the other one back and give me the credit--but that can take 2 or 3 billing cycles, so my next bill will be around 300 bucks. Ain't that some Bull$h*t.

On top of that, she said when I get the new phone and activate it, my two year contract agreement will start with the new phone's activation. WHAT? I spent 15 minutes trying to understand why this isn't as simple as switching the new phone over and still being on the contract I signed up for back in early november when I originally activated my ERIS. I still don't get it. Not that it matters, but I've been a customer with Verizon for 8 or 9 years now.

Sorry for being so long-winded and thanks for reading my rant.

Advertisement
  2. J.R.

The more I thought about it, I'm starting to think they want my contract renewed again so I have to pay the higher early termination fee. When did that go into effect and what was the fee before? I'm starting to think I might just use it.

3. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

IIRC it went into effect 11/15. The fee used to be 175 and now is 350. :eek:

4. deathratlehead

deathratlehead Well-Known Member

I had a bad experience yesterday with a Verizon Store. My wife was having an issue with her Eris where the speakerphone would stop working for a full day at a time. I tried a factory reset which didn't help and then called Verizon to note the issue. The speakerphone started to work again the next day but I told her to exchange it anyway before the 30 days is up just to be safe.

So she went there on her lunch break from work and called me up about 30 min later saying how she was furious. She said that they outright refused to exchange the phone stating that they couldn't duplicate the issue so she wouldn't be given an replacement. She told them it was intermittent and that we had spoken to VZ customer service, to which they replied that they didn't see any record of it, (basically calling her a liar). They had her so mad she said she was just going to return the phone, to which they said they would charge her a restocking fee, which is total bullshit considering that's only if you buy a different model phone after returning one.

So I called Verizon and explained the situation. The woman apologized over and over for the behavior of the rep and said she saw his notes on the account and would have him spoken to about it. She said I could go to a different store or she could mail me a replacement. I didn't feel like doing either considering the nearest store would have been 35 min away. I asked her to simply note the account telling them to hand over a new phone with no questions. I told her we have no problem watching the employee learn his lesson right in front of us.

They noted the account and my wife stopped in again after she left work. This time she went in and said, "I was denied my replacement this morning, so my husband called customer service. The notes on the account say to give me my replacement. I'm not going to repeat everything I stated earlier this morning regarding the defect because I wasted enough time then, so please give me my new phone."

They gave her the new phone with no issues.

TAKE THAT A-HOLES!!!

5. J.R.

Glad it worked out for you! They can be a royal pain in the ass, and it is especially frustrating considering how much we pay them for the service.

6. armyguydan

armyguydan Well-Known Member

Verizon has the worst customer service there is. In Feb of 09 i called in to have my pantech PDA flip phones battery replaced(3 month old phone) and was told that they couldnt get it as they had stopped all service agreements with panteck. So they made me purchase a new phone, a Samsung Omnia for $200. They Refused to send me a same priced phone for free. Little did i know they also changed my contract dates and used my upgrade. I had to Email a Verizon Wireless CEO to get anything done...when it was finally finished, yes they did fix it for me, gave me my $ back and allowed a free upgrade upto $199 without extending anything, but it did take a 9 months to get anything done.

7. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I have had a few problems with VZW in store service, but the phone CSRs are excellent and they are one of the reasons I am willing to pay the extra that I do with Verizon.

8. zenman

zenman Well-Known Member

This thread is surprising. I was actually about to start a thread about how good Verizon's customer service is. I switched to the Eris a few weeks ago and have had to make a handful of calls to V. There has never been a wait time to talk to an agent and it's always a native English speaker, located in the US! Yay! How often does that happen these days when calling a company for help???

Back when I had the Env2, the ear speaker crapped out on me. I went in and they gave me a new one, no questions asked. I don't remember if it was within 30 days of getting it.

ZM

9. goofdad

goofdad Well-Known Member

Over the last 6 or so years that I've been with Verizon I must say that I have continually found their tech support more than a bit lacking (see my post here), but their customer service has been awesome.

See my blog entry to see how well their CSR's treated me.

I'm really sorry they failed in your case. I hope it works out.

10. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I've always had great expierence with Verizon , whenever I have a problem I go to the store and they usually give me a new replacemnet acouple of times they gave me an upgrade way before I was eligible. And usually if I have any major problems they give me some sort of credit on my bill or a credit for accessories in the store.
    I always hear people bashing Verizons CS , and I've always been surprised since they've always treated me great

11. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

There is no flawless Customer Service. Doesn't exist. Even Apple Care (Say what you want, but Apple is DAMN good about their CS issues and making the customer happy....the things I've seen my managers approve...it's scary.) isn't perfect. If you go on a sprint, t-mobile, or at-t forum you'll get a similar story.

My experience with VZ is what I expect. I know more about my phone than they do, but I let them do their test's and am always polite. I have to deal with people crying about their iPhones everyday, and on a much busier basis than the VZ store down the block from us that I like going to.

Sucks you had a bad experience, I can't say mine was the best either, but they are always nice to me. I guess i also understand where they are coming from in a way too.

12. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

the local store which is like 10 mins away has the worst customer service...
    i would say the name but one i don't want to give my exact location and two i think they could sue me for saying anything negative against them haha

they are stuck-up, rude, and sometimes incompetent.

I had an issue with my eris overheating and it would cut off it got to hot...and it wasn't connected to a power source...i would just be talking on the phone, it gets hot like a car does when it overheats and then cuts off and comes back on when it cools...

i took it to the store.....TWO HOURS i was there and they couldn't recreate the issue and i had called the store PRIOR to coming to let them know to expect me and told them the issue doesn't happen all the time so what should i do

two hours in a store...i heard 2 excuses...

1)low service area so because it has a low signal it has to work harder
    2)It's all touchscreen and small therefore it will tend to overheat if you over use it...Hmmm....there was no disclaimer on the box warning me about using my phone "TOO MUCH" or it will overheat...

the resolution? i had to pay 200 bucks for a network extended

the only reason i don't complain about the network extender is because i now have flawless signal

but they are soo rude in the stores however i love calling the 1800 number because they are usually warm and nice(you get a few assholes) and we actually have conversations about stuff non-verizon related

13. civichater

civichater Member

You have to keep one thing in mind with the tech support at VZW. In the stores, the reps are from a company called Flextronics. They have different bosses and they contract for VZW. On the phone, everyone is a VZW employee. If you have any problems in the store, always ask to speak with the store manager, who is a VZW employee, and usually they can help more.

14. cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

I had a problem when switching from my defective bb tour to the eris and they charged me a restocking fee when they shouldn't have. When I took the customer service survey, I gave the worst scores and a supervisor called me and took off the fee and said to call if I had any future problems.

15. Miami211

Miami211 Well-Known Member

About a year ago I went through a divorce and tried taking my wife off of my account because she was racking up my bill. The account was only in my name and my wife already agreed to call in to assume liability on her line. When I explained this to the customer service rep she asked why I was getting divorced I told her it was none of her business and explained that I just needed her to note the account to indicate that she would be calling in to assume liability of her line. She responded by asking me what gave me the right to remove her from my account and said that I shouldn't be making my wife do something she didn't want to do and continued by suggesting that I continue paying for her phone... oh ya, and refused to change my password, even though I am the primary account holder. When I told her She was out of line and asked for her supervisor she hung up on me... go figure.

16. shocker

shocker Well-Known Member

The only employees in a store that work for Flextronics "could" be techs and not all stores have techs. Even now, the techs that work for Flextronics can't even take a phone apart because of agreements with manufactures and really troubleshoot issues. Honestly, if it were 4-5 years ago and you really did have a mechanical issue with your phone you would want a Flextronics rep to actually look at your phone because they really know what to do and how to fix it.

17. bottlecap

bottlecap Well-Known Member

THIS!!!! Also the ones in the store's aren't bad. When I bought my blackberry, (hey the Eris wasn't out yet). The woman spent an hour explaining the difference between a blackberry and the MotoQ. She gave my son a colouring book and crayons to keep him occupied. THEN she found that the company I was with had a discount plan and I didn't need a rebate. On top of that she ran out the store to catch me when I left my keys there.

Why yes I DID bring a nice letter back the next day praising her and made she her manager read it.

18. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

That's my experience also !

19. majorcovert

majorcovert Well-Known Member

Compared to AT&T I'll take Verizon any day. I was even a premier service member and felt like they had phone CSRs at the front end just to piss you off and keep you from trying. I had to call 4 different times to AT&T to get a billing issue takin care of. And the 3 times when trying to get ETF reduced since they didn't cover my new home. I think AT&T finally helps you just to shut you up.

The in store associates have absolutely no administrative power at all. Even if you have the extended warranty they can't help you at the store you always have to call customer service. I've watched an AT&T rep call customer service to take care of an issue like changing my phone number. They can't comp your bills or anything. They can pretty much sell phones, activate them, help you pay your bills, and dial customer service for you.

At least at Verizon they can replace phones and do quite a bit of customer service at the store, which is handy since CDMA phones don't have SIM cards that can be exchanged into an old back-up phone. My experience compared to AT&T is way better.

20. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with any of Verizon's store or phone employee's.

21. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Not true. Not every tech in a store is from flextronics. I worked for VZW for two years as a tech. Some stores sub out tech support to flextronics but not 100% of them.

22. jreed2560

If this had happened at the store I worked at, that rep would have gotten fired!

23. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

So you chose to ignore the tech instead of following his directions in an attempt to find a solution? Ok.

24. jreed2560

:confused:

25. gnarlyc

gnarlyc Member

In my experience, having dealt with 5+ different stores now and the 1800 people over the last 10 years, the level of customer service varies quite a bit. I've found that you can get a totally different answer to the exact same question if you just ask a different person. Sometimes this happens within the same store! It's quite frustrating, but I now know not to even step foot in one particular store (appropriately called 'The Store of NO').

My wife had a Blackberry. Actually, she wound up getting it replaced twice, so she had three BBs over time. The Store of NO said that since she had so much trouble, they would gladly give her yet another BB! Wow. Thanks. So, between the 1800 people and another store, she now has a shiny, new Droid. Yes, we paid for it and extended her contract out. We weren't trying to get a free ride. She just wants a phone that works.

So, I guess my point is, if you have an issue with customer service, ask someone else. Go to another store. Call the 1800 number. Keep trying until you get several 'NOs'. One NO doesn't mean a thing.