• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon data

Loon

Dec 11, 2009
So I'm a long time iPhone user considering switching to Verizon for an android device. One of the biggest questions I have is related to their data plans. If You have unlimited data for Verizon do they limit the file size you can download at any one time over 3g? Like AT&T makes it so you cannot download files larger than 10MB and if you try it just stops the download dead. It also makes it so that youtube vids are all the lowest possible resolution. Does Verizon do this or can you actually view youtube videos the way they are meant to be? This is a big selling point for me because I like to be able to just kill time watching youtube vids with my phone when I'm bored but it sucks with the iPhone because of the data limit.

So I'm a long time iPhone user considering switching to Verizon for an android device. One of the biggest questions I have is related to their data plans. If You have unlimited data for Verizon do they limit the file size you can download at any one time over 3g? Like AT&T makes it so you cannot download files larger than 10MB and if you try it just stops the download dead. It also makes it so that youtube vids are all the lowest possible resolution. Does Verizon do this or can you actually view youtube videos the way they are meant to be? This is a big selling point for me because I like to be able to just kill time watching youtube vids with my phone when I'm bored but it sucks with the iPhone because of the data limit.

never tried larger files (around 8mb was biggest I did on a phone) and you can set YouTube to do the HD stream.

Upvote 0
Coming from a Motorola Q to the DROID, web browsing in general was pure joy. I'm sure processor had something to do with it, but results per speedtest.net and dslreports, showed the Droid consistently 300kb-1Mb faster. On average, I can acheive 600-800kb on AT&T, where Droid was good for 800kb - 1.2Mb, and a best 2.3Mb outside neighboring VZ store.

From what I understand, and have experienced, AT&T puts up "filters", in one form or another.

Upvote 0
FYI ... I just downloaded a 13.8 MB file off of a web server on the internet. Took 2 minutes, 7 seconds to download with 2 bars of Ev-DO Rev A service.

I'm using a Samsung Saga (SCH-i770) running Windows Mobile 6.1. I'm watching the Droids very closely to see how well they perform. With any luck I'll be upgrading from WinMo to Android in the next month or so.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
brad

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones