• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon disconnecting Unlimited Data customers using over 100GB a month, must switch to limited plan

I have unlimited data on my plan and considering that I payed for that plan and have continued to pay for that plan for years, why should I be subject to limiting my data consumption? I personally think it's sour grapes that has some people up in arms about us high data users. Instead of blaming other consumers, why not lay the blame on Verizon and other "unlimited" carriers that don't have the infrastructure to back up what they offer? Considering I have had an unlimited data play for several years, you'd think Verizon's network would be large enough by now to deal with those of us that use our hotspot at home. This has more to do with Verizon not wanting to build out its network than a few users that use over 100 GB a month. If the carrier didn't want us to use unlimited data, then why did they make it available to us?

Upvote 0
when "unlimited data plans" first arrived on the scene, I bought one myself.
and I kept it for over 10 years, maybe more?

at first, it was difficult to use more than about 250 kbp/month.... then the next year, I was able to get it up to about 500 kbp/month.

yes, 0.250 gB

the system could not handle more bandwidth than that, and no one in their right mind ever thought that cellphones would ever be capable of high speed internet..... well, the world changed, and the carriers had to live up to their promises for us who had unlimited service.. then I added on 3 phones, and at the same time I retired from government service and lost my discount...

I could not afford the cost of unlimited for the one line, and have 3 more phones too.... especially when things changed and the other phones were $9.95/month anymore, they jumped to $49.95/month because they too became a Smart Phone service.....

Over the 10 years or so, VZW CS did a study and I never, ever, used more than 1 gB/month.... so crunch time came and I made that difficult decision..... I let my unlimited plan go.... sigh!

I know have a Family T-Shirt plan, small, medium, large, XL.....

My medium service was 6 gB/month and I carried that for years.... until 2 months ago when CS said, "Hey! did you know that you are wasting $10/month by holding onto that 6 gB service, when you only use it one month a year?"

yep, on when I take my summer rally tours on my motorcycle, then I hit it hard..............

well fast forward 8 weeks from the switch over to me backing off to the 2 gB plan... remember now, that is 1.75 gB more than I ever use historically, except for that one month...

2 days ago, my wife is checked into the hospital for complications relating to diabetes..... and the hospital WiFi and my laptop don't get along too well.... so, out came my trust MiFi router, and I had a lot of fun, right up until my phone beeped and I read "Warning! you only have 0.18 gB left on your plan with 5 days left before it recycles.

hmmmm? 5 days in a hospital with me burning up the light bulbs.... not going to work very well.

so, since I had been told I could switch back to 6 gB any time I want to, I opened up Verizon's phone app and Holy Crap!!!!

the 6 gB plan does NOT exist now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pissed is not even close to how I was feeling..... I called up 611 and gave them an ear full and told them to restore my 6 gB plan because they lied to me.... the result?

• No 6 gB/month... sorry charlie, lie or no lie, you can't have it
  • Now have 4 gB/month for the same exact $10/month as the old 6 gB rate... :(
  • but wait!!! if I don't use 3.98214 gB this month, it will now roll over to next month.... for one month only....

Now, that means that when I hit the road Jack, I can burn up 8 gB while on tour for that month.... and on tour, I push the 6 gB right up to the wall and have to use motel WiFi as bad as it is....... for 3 days....... :(

sigh, there just ain't no free lunch Tony............

Upvote 0
Oh, I forgot to mention that because I was a very pissed off "Loyal Customer of 25+ years,"

I got a $20 gift reward added to this month's bill....

So, this month and next month are free...

I have always worked with Customer Service "in person" on the phone. I never, ever, just use their app to make changes....
I have nearly always managed to wrangle out a deal of $20 and several times I got $30 bux for being "super pissed" at their way of doing things.

Verizon does NOT want to loose a long time customer, and they will do what they have to in order to keep you.

Upvote 0
<br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div id="inner-editor"></div>

In France, with the operator Free, I pay $ 14 per month for unlimited access, with 50Gb of data. I'm really surprised of prices in USA and Canada. I also states that with this package, I can make free calls in North America, throughout Europe, Australia andtwenty other destinations.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
<br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div id="inner-editor"></div>

In France, with the operator Free, I pay $ 14 per month for unlimited access, with 50Gb of data. I'm really surprised of prices in USA and Canada. I also states that with this package, I can make free calls in North America, throughout Europe, Australia andtwenty other destinations.

Yeh, that's state owned telcos isn't it? France Telecom etc. China is very cheap for data and service as well, China Mobile, China Unicom, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones