• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon Droid Probem

dusttones

Nov 7, 2009
I bought the new Droid from Verizon yesterday and have been having many issues. The phone randomly reboots and locks up. Last night the unlock screen disappeared and is still gone.

I've tried all the basic things like powering down and back up, removing the battery...none have changed the issue.

I think it may just be a lemon. Checking to see if anyone else has seen this before I exchange it at Best Buy.

Thanks in advance.

Droid 2.0
ESD20

I had similar problems, but was able to narrow it down to one particular case and solution:

If I had my SD card mounted and allowed the lock screen to timeout, I would have to do a battery pull to get it back. So, I changed my settings to never allow a screen timeout (I only do it manually) and have not had the problem since.

I had an HTC Hero before this and it was plagued with the same issue - it must be an Android thing.

Upvote 0
I bought my Droid on Friday and I am having the same problems. Yesterday morning when I took it off the charger it wouldn't even turn on. I had to remove the battery to get it to start up. Same thing this morning, it won't turn on. It constantly shuts down and reboots or just freezes up. I'm going to exchange it today and hopefully will not have these same issues.

Upvote 0
Took my Droid back to Verizon today and told them the issues. The tech said that they knew that the software was bad in some of the first batch, so they gave me a new one no questions asked. It's working great great so far. What an awesome phone!

How did you get them to take it back? I tried to take mine to a Verizon store and they pretty much blamed me for any problems. I brought it in stuck on a screen where you couldn't power it off with the power button or get anythign to respond. Then they said they couldn't replicate the problem. They said it was because one of the apps I installed was a beta but the phone has been rebooting and sticking since Friday. I think I've had to pull the battery 1-2x per day. Any advice anyone has about getting it exchanged at a Verizon store would be very very helpful. Thanks.

Upvote 0
How did you get them to take it back? I tried to take mine to a Verizon store and they pretty much blamed me for any problems. I brought it in stuck on a screen where you couldn't power it off with the power button or get anythign to respond. Then they said they couldn't replicate the problem. They said it was because one of the apps I installed was a beta but the phone has been rebooting and sticking since Friday. I think I've had to pull the battery 1-2x per day. Any advice anyone has about getting it exchanged at a Verizon store would be very very helpful. Thanks.

I suggest printing out this forum thread, and there is another forum thread here that I've posted in that is about this issue. Mine rebooted over and over so much that the Best Buy Mobile employee couldn't even activate the phone. Has NOTHING to do with a "beta app".

Show them that it isn't just you. They honestly should know this already - it's a common issue - they've had to have someone else come in complaining.

Upvote 0
I pretty much told them the phone is defective, I told them I did a factory reset, and cleared the storage, and did not sync up with anything, and the phone still was rebooting, with nothing on it, but the factory setup.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. I just got a replacement at a different Verizon store. I didn't even have to show them my printouts. It was like a night and day difference. I didn't realize how wonky my old one was. This one seems much more responsive especially on the sleep/on/off front. I cant' wait to play with it now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones