Verizon employee broke my phone.

1. illestgeo

illestgeo New Member

So I've had a Samsung Fascinate for about 6 months now. Just yesterday, I updated my phone with the new software update, which for the most part was cool. However, I was having a lot of force close errors. So today, I took it into my local Verizon store to see if they could fix the errors.
    The guy took my phone and plugged it into his computer. He turned off the phone and went into the boot settings menu, and from then on the phone would not respond. You couldn't navigate through any of the menus. We tried rebooting the phone into it's normal mode, but it would keep returning to the boot settings menu with error messages.

He said my two options were to send it into insurance (which would cost me $50), or send it into warranty. The warranty would replace the phone absolutely free, but if whatever-third-party-manufacturer decided that the few scratches and wear and tear that's on the phone would "void" the warranty, they would charge my account for the full retail price of the phone ($300).

I went home, called corporate, and they told me the same options. I went back to the local Verizon store and said I will not take any of those options, and they said there was nothing that they could do.
    What the hell do I do? I feel like I'm backing into a corner with no way out besides paying for someone else's mistake.

Advertisement
    :
    GalaxyNexus likes this.
  2. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

I would call corporate again. And when the first tier rep was negative to a reasonable settlement I'd ask to speak to a superior rep and another and however many rungs of the ladder I need climb until I reached some satisfaction. Good luck.
    GalaxyNexus and EarlyMon like this.
  3. Ngo93

Ngo93 Well-Known Member

this^
    GalaxyNexus likes this.
  4. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Scream, yell, throw a fit, talk to management, threaten to leave the company. Those are your basic options.
    GalaxyNexus and ninja_reject like this.
  5. greenless

greenless Well-Known Member

If the phone was working when you brought it into the store, why in the world did you leave with it in a non-working condition?
    GalaxyNexus likes this.
  6. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

That was my reaction. I wouldn't have left the store until I had either a new phone in my hand, the rep documented what happened (He plugged it in and it died), or he applied a $50 credit to my account to cover the cost of insurance. Either that or with enough witnesses around me, when he went to hand me my phone I would've let it slip through my fingers, hit the floor and then loud enough I would've said, "God I hope you didn't break it!"
    GalaxyNexus likes this.
  7. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Well-Known Member

If there's just a few scratches, there's no way they'll charge you the equipment fee. Just call it in, have them overnight you a free replacement under the warranty, and voila.

Source: I work at Verizon.
  8. drosseau

drosseau Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the use of the Bureau of Better Business.....they are scared of them....trust me haha. I've went that route once when I was having a hard time getting what I felt was right. After going through the BBB, I had a brand new phone over-nighted free of charge. More than I was asking for but I will take it!
    9to5cynic likes this.
  9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Well-Known Member

I would have done this while still at the store and kept going higher and higher. Never leave any store with defective merchandise.
  10. LilacBleeds

LilacBleeds Well-Known Member

Hope everything is sorted its different over here in the uk they can't plug it in here they send it off and they try and repair it we don't get another one until its been to the repair center three times for the same thing :(
  11. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Well-Known Member

did no one read my post? this really is not a big deal. call customer service. tell them your screen went blank. they'll ask if there's any physical damage. tell them no, just a couple of scratches. they'll send you a replacement. send your old phone back. continue your life. lol
  12. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

I would do what Tommy is suggesting. If they hit you with the full retail price, then fight that. But if it's still under warranty, just send it back and get a new device.