• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Ending Unlimited Data for Grandfathered Users

Ok here is a comparison for some quick references. Seems like for most people, it will be the same or slightly cheaper. Its better for large number of lines, but worse for high data costs...

VZW 1 Phone 1 GB: $90 ($40+$50); 2 Phones: $130; 3 Phones $170
AT&T 1 Phone 1 GB: $85 ($45+$40); 2 Phones: $130; 3 Phones $175

VZW 1 Phone 4 GB: $110 ($40+$70); 2 Phones: $150; 3 Phones $190
AT&T 1 Phone 4 GB: $110 ($40+$70); 2 Phones: $150; 3 Phones $190

VZW 1 Phone 6 GB: $120 ($40+$80); 2 Phones: $160; 3 Phones $200
AT&T 1 Phone 6 GB: $125 ($35+$90); 2 Phones: $160; 3 Phones $195

VZW 1 Phone 10 GB: $140 ($40+$100); 2 Phones: $180; 3 Phones $220
AT&T 1 Phone 10 GB: $150 ($30+$120); 2 Phones: $180; 3 Phones $210

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
The smartphone fees is where AT&T switches it up.

Including the smartphone fee....1GB and 6GB is $5 cheaper on Verizon. 10GB is $10 cheaper on Verizon.

Antimony....based on what you told me earlier.....20GB would be $40 cheaper on Verizon.

As a heads up, the Verizon training manual lists up to 30GB as an option, and I am pretty sure if you are willing to pay, they will even go over that. Its just $10 for every extra 2GB, no limit. So if $100 for 10GB is not enough, Pay another $20,$50, or $100 and get 14,20 or even 30GB.

AT&T switched up the smartphones fees, and added bigger data amounts. If folks dont really compare they will just see cheaper data plans and bigger amounts and think they are saving and getting a better deal going to AT&T. I just wanted to show that Verizon isnt as bad as it seems.

Upvote 0
Ok here is a comparison for some quick references. Seems like for most people, it will be the same or slightly cheaper. Its better for large number of lines, but worse for high data costs...

VZW 1 Phone 1 GB: $90 ($40+$50); 2 Phones: $130; 3 Phones $170
AT&T 1 Phone 1 GB: $85 ($45+$40); 2 Phones: $130; 3 Phones $175

VZW 1 Phone 4 GB: $110 ($40+$70); 2 Phones: $150; 3 Phones $190
AT&T 1 Phone 4 GB: $110 ($40+$70); 2 Phones: $150; 3 Phones $190

VZW 1 Phone 6 GB: $120 ($40+$80); 2 Phones: $160; 3 Phones $200
AT&T 1 Phone 6 GB: $125 ($35+$90); 2 Phones: $160; 3 Phones $195

VZW 1 Phone 10 GB: $140 ($40+$100); 2 Phones: $180; 3 Phones $220
AT&T 1 Phone 10 GB: $150 ($30+$120); 2 Phones: $180; 3 Phones $210

Ahh...thats right. Forgot about more lines..lol. With me having 3 lines...I shoulda knew this....:eek: Looks like the 20GB is still cheaper on Verizon if you can stack 2GB til you get to 20GB.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That's the one thing keeping the afloat right now. They aren't getting rid if that anytime soon

This is very true. The unlimited plan is thier big selling point.

However, once all the heavier data users start switching to Sprint, thier network will become overwhelmed and they will be hurtin'.

Then they too will be forced into doing away with thier unlimited data plans. Enjoy it while you can. The handwriting is on the wall. Unlimited data plans are going the way of the dinosaur. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
OK I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I want to be SURE. I have an Incredible 2, 3g. It is the second line on the account with unlimited data. If I buy a Razr Maxx privately and activate it at home, will I have any issues with my plan?

Also I went to radio shack and Verizon yesterday and they both told me that they will be stopping the unlimited plans within 6 months, regardless of contracts or changes, has anyone heard that?

Upvote 0
OK I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I want to be SURE. I have an Incredible 2, 3g. It is the second line on the account with unlimited data. If I buy a Razr Maxx privately and activate it at home, will I have any issues with my plan?
You can keep your unlimited. Not saying you won't have issues, some people have aciddently been bumped off unlimited doing updates. But if that happens you can straighten it out and get back your unlimited (I'd check right away though, since the fix seems to go much easier in the first 24 hours).
Also I went to radio shack and Verizon yesterday and they both told me that they will be stopping the unlimited plans within 6 months, regardless of contracts or changes, has anyone heard that?

They could certainly do this (they would have to give plenty of notice to those on contract and let them get out without penalty), but they won't. They would lose a lot of subscribers doing this, and it would cost them lots of money.

And the store level employees (and phone reps for that matter) are only told things when they need to know (sometimes long after they need to know). There is no way Verizon would tell their customer facing employees about this kind of thing 6 months ahead of time, before making any form of announcement (ok, "no way" is a little harsh but I seriously doubt it would happen that way).
Especially since that when they switched to the Shared data plans (so a few weeks ago), Verizon released many statements saying that those on unlimited can keep unlimited as long as they don't buy a subsidized phone.

Upvote 0
This is very true. The unlimited plan is thier big selling point.

However, once all the heavier data users start switching to Sprint, thier network will become overwhelmed and they will be hurtin'.

Then they too will be forced into doing away with thier unlimited data plans. Enjoy it while you can. The handwriting is on the wall. Unlimited data plans are going the way of the dinosaur. :smokingsomb:

It'll be a long while before that happens, I bet. Sprint needs to grow its subscriber base by a great deal before they can afford to pull the same jerk moves as Verizon & AT&T. Hopefully by then Google will reconsider entering the carrier business or the prepaid market will triumph.

Supposedly Sprint's Network Vision upgrades are purportedly set to offer a network even faster and more stable than Verizon. We'll see. (I'm still waiting for them to switch on LTE in my market. Due out next month.) With most data users topping out around 3-4GB per month, it's within their advantage to continue the unlimited coverage offer. If anything I see them starting to throttle speeds when you hit a cap similar to T-Mobile. Their virtual provider network Virgin Mobile has been doing just that for over a year.

It doesn't surprise me to see Verizon and AT&T switch to similar high fee data plans. When I was shopping for carriers last Autumn I studied them all very carefully. Verizon has the coverage and there were a lot of personal incentives for going that route, but their greedy practices and poor customer service threw up major red flags for me.

Now seeing what they've done to lock down phones like the Galaxy S3 and the shenanigans over Google Wallet on their version of the Galaxy Nexus last Autumn just reaffirms my decision to steer clear. I wouldn't touch a Verizon contract with the proverbial 10 foot pole.

Upvote 0
I still have unlimited LTE but I will have to switch carriers when the jig is up because as a single user the required shared plan is BIG BUCKS.

No bills under $100 - GENIUS! Their network isn't THAT good lmao. GSM will do just fine.

Yeah I'm not quite sure what they are smoking there. Seems like they WANT to run off prospective single line customers...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones