• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Firmware Update

MrClean

Android Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2010
KC MO
There is a firmware update for the Verizon Note 3.
You can perform this update and regain root using the Kingo method.

Download Kies 3 (make sure you scroll down and choose Kies 3)
SAMSUNG KIES

Download Kingo
Download Kingo Android Root, it's free

I believe the best way, if you are currently rooted, is go into SuperSU and do a 'full unroot'.
Launch Kies 3 and plug in your phone, for me, it automatically notified me of the update. This does wipe your phone, so be sure to remove your SD card and back up anything you want. Follow the instructions to update the firmware. (N900VVRUBMJ7) SELinux status is still showing Permissive, which means SafeStrap should still work once it's released.
Some people are reporting that there were 2 firmware updates, I didn't notice if there was or not. But I did go back and verify that there wasn't another one once I was done.

Launch Kingo and plug in your phone, it will download the latest drivers and prompt you to plug in your phone. You must have Debug mode enabled. It is a one-click method and once complete it will ask you to reboot your phone. In your app drawer you should see SuperSU installed once again.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something after working all last night, so I apologize in advance.

This update should be pushed to us non-rooted (yet) Verizon folks eventually, right? I'd rather not have to wipe, etc. in order to update.

Also, just a warning to those thinking of using Kingo to root- the XDA Mods have disallowed discussion/ links to this method on their site due to questionable circumstances involved in the process. Apparently, the creators may be gathering sensitive info about the phones- serial numbers etc.

KingoApp - Page 5 - xda-developers

Use at your own risk.

Reactions: MrClean
Upvote 0
This update should be pushed to us non-rooted (yet) Verizon folks eventually, right? I'd rather not have to wipe, etc. in order to update.

Also, just a warning to those thinking of using Kingo to root- the XDA Mods have disallowed discussion/ links to this method on their site due to questionable circumstances involved in the process. Apparently, the creators may be gathering sensitive info about the phones- serial numbers etc.

Use at your own risk.

Thanks for posting this info. There was a thread somewhere that someone contacted the makers of Kingo about the concerns and the responses they provided as to why certain info was gathered. I'll see if I can find it.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the folks over at xda are paranoid or just territorial since the kingo method came from outside their developer network.

Excellent speculation. I suspect that it's a little of both. In my opinion, I find that many (not all) of the members and mods at xda are rather intolerant of people outside of their circles of developers, as well as those of us that are not as technically savvy as they are. (speaking for myself, that is)

That said, I can see a couple of possible viewpoints concerning Kingo. A certain amount of paranoia may be warranted, since they seem to be very secretive about how their exploit works to root devices. This goes against the general unwritten policies of the android developers' communities, as most respectable dev's tend to be very open as to how they do things, which allows the community to essentially police itself.
However- when I consider what is known about Kingo, it seems that their method employs several exploits designed to root numerous devices by different OEM's and running various software. If they were to openly release their methods, it would allow all of the OEM's to fix the holes in their security, rendering all of their work useless.

The thing that puzzles me the most though, is that the mods at xda claim that Kingo grabs sensitive info from the phone, but they aren't saying how they know this, nor can anyone say for sure why this might be a problem. I'd like to know what can be done with these numbers if they are indeed being collected for malicious intent.

Upvote 0
So you've used it I assume- let me ask, do you have any concerns about it?
Have you installed safestrap and replaced SU as recommended on xda?

I'm patiently on the fence about using it myself. I figure that I may as well wait until they release their next version and see if it gets green lighted by the community and xda. I mostly just don't understand what the dangers are in letting them access the imei #'s etc.

That said, I'm rather anxious to get rooted so I can get on with using my gizmo properly.

Upvote 0
I did use it and went back and flashed SuperSU as recommended. But according to what they (XDA) said, whatever sensitive info may have been grabbed, was already done. So apparently my phone's serial number is out there in some server somewhere. I'm not too worried about it honestly. And now with SS working, there is at least one custome ROM that was posted yesterday. Time to start using our phones the way they were intended :)

Upvote 0
You're a brave man MrClean. I hope to have my own note in hand by the end of the month so I am greedily reading these posts for the best/easiest ways to root/ROM my soon to be newest baby. So far this seems to be the easiest way to get from point A (unrooted) to point B (rooted). I need all the "easy" I can get! While I can follow directions fine, I prefer less stress if possible. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Rooting ALWAYS has stress for me... especially now, with this Knox counter. I'm afraid I may be too far gone to re-root: I have too much stuff, the phone's set up just the way I want it; unless Big Red pulls a total Galaxy Nexus on us and holds back KitKat long after everyone else has it, I don't think I'm going to re-root. It would take one heck of a ROM to compel me back to modding.

Koki: I didn't realize you lived in Helena! I lived for years in Opelika but I was all over your neck of the woods with work! I traveled to Hoover and Vestavia Hills a lot, and that's very close by to you. Small world, I tell ya :)

Upvote 0

Use at your own risk.

Just out of curiosity, can you just go into SU and unroot the S4?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones