• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon forces customers to use Bing search.

vincentp

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2009
Rochester, NY
Verizon snuffs Google for Microsoft search ? The Register

If anybody has seen this, it seems that Verizon (non-Android) customers using smartphones (Blackberries seem to be affected) are now being forced to search via Bing.com in their browsers "go" bar. This wouldn't be so bad if it was Bing over Google, but it seems like they have also removed the ability to search non-search engine websites such as Wikipedia. Ya, I know they can still do it from the browser, but it's a pretty crappy thing to force on people without their knowledge or consent. I know our search is basically all Google, but that's what you expect from a Google phone.

Bing blows! :D

Not that I'm particularly fond of M$ but, on smartphones (and iPhones) Bing is by far one of the best utilities to have on the phone. It's integrated searching (i.e. movies, gas prices ect) and maps (GPS capable) is well ahead of Google.

Now on the Droid I don't miss Bing to much, but the Droid (with all the integration) is light-years ahead of what's available on WM or other OS. But I do hate having to use 4 different apps to do what Bing can do in one (i.e. find a theater, get showtimes, get tickets, get traffic info, find a restaurant... a typical Sat for me) takes at least 4 different apps (but I'm new to the Droid so maybe I just don't have "THE" program yet).

Upvote 0
Wow. Tell that my work Tour, my Mom's Tour, and my brother's Storm 2. Although the Bing icon was pushed, Google is still available and set as our defaults.

Just because the bing icon is pushed to you, doesnt mean you have to use it. I just switched over from the BB storm and things like this happened all the time. Verizon pushes these things over via your service books I believe. If you dont like them, dont download them and click hide on them. Out of sight, out of mind.

Upvote 0
Not that I'm particularly fond of M$ but, on smartphones (and iPhones) Bing is by far one of the best utilities to have on the phone. It's integrated searching (i.e. movies, gas prices ect) and maps (GPS capable) is well ahead of Google.
I refuse to just say "THIS" but this is pretty much the nail on the head. I've always looked at their support when it comes to buying airplane tickets.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones