• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Forget the update!

joesixpack

Android Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2012
Northeast OH
After LOTS of reading, I decided to keep my phone the way it is and root it instead. Lots more new things to get than just Apps2SD and HDR video (whatever that is)! Hope you welcome me here as well as the GNexers did!

With that in mind - I have a question - What's the best way to stop Big Red from asking to (and eventually on their own) updating my S4? I froze SDM and FWUpdate in TiBu (glad to have that bad boy back), but is there anything else. I did this as well:

Renamed file: /etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak
Renamed file: /system/app/ wssyncmlnps.apk to wssyncmlnps.apk.bak

All help appreciated mucho!

Well, that didn't work like I thought it did
Annoying message is still there
Really? Hoped it would go away after all of that. Guess there's more. Help me out, people!

BTW, I hear if you just decline the update, they'll stop bothering you about it and you'll have to get it yourself. Simply delaying the download will cause the message to reappear, and eventually just download it after a few times.

Is he right?

Upvote 0
After LOTS of reading, I decided to keep my phone the way it is and root it instead. Lots more new things to get than just Apps2SD and HDR video (whatever that is)! Hope you welcome me here as well as the GNexers did!

With that in mind - I have a question - What's the best way to stop Big Red from asking to (and eventually on their own) updating my S4? I froze SDM and FWUpdate in TiBu (glad to have that bad boy back), but is there anything else. I did this as well:

Renamed file: /etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak
Renamed file: /system/app/ wssyncmlnps.apk to wssyncmlnps.apk.bak

All help appreciated mucho!

I'm not sure how to stop the update since I'm running CleanRom but if you would Rom the developer would add these features in there updates also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones