Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Toro) is back on AOSP!?

1. dabomb224

dabomb224 Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

anyone else notice they have the binaries for the verizon version for jb 4.1.1 up as well?
  3. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

yup, cmon guys build me a rom this JRN84D is old stuff now :smokingsomb:
  4. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

i haven't looked. Not that i would know what i'm looking at. It seems tho that if this is the case it would be all over twitter and other news sources...fingers crossed.
  5. William T Riker

jbdan likes this.
  6. dabomb224

R
    Lol. That was the implication of my post.

On another note, is there any way to build a "stock" JB kernel for Toro, or should I just flash the previous Franco JB kernel when I finish cooking this puppy?
  7. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I think Franco would be a great choice
  8. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Woohoo this is good news :)
  9. jhawkkw

Yeah, kind of a duh moment.

But it is interesting that they put radio binaries up. It must show that maybe google made some progress with verizon on this issue.
  10. William T Riker

over in the groups chat hes answering questions
  11. kinfolk248

kinfolk248 Well-Known Member

Radio binaries....so does that mean we may get new radios too?
  12. trophynuts

this is a great developing story. I'm not sure why any blog sites haven't ran with it yet ...

anyways. some of you have already posted this but since i already took screen shots of it i'm going to post them anyways lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    AntimonyER and jbdan like this.
  13. jhawkkw

That statement interests me because we now have 4.1.1 binaries released, but no 4.1.1 ota/factory image thus far.
  14. trophynuts

woo hoooo things are looking good peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jbdan likes this.
  15. dabomb224

So I'm setting up a build environment on my MacBook. Extremely involved. Mostly, I'm nit sure how many threads to tell it I have on my processor, so this may take a while.
  16. trophynuts

17. kinfolk248

kinfolk248 Well-Known Member

radio binaries...so does that mean we could get new radios?
  18. jhawkkw

We could get new radios, but it's my understanding that they still come from verizon. I think this is more likely related to the RIL that many skinned devices have problems finding in order to flash versions newer than their currents, like GB to ICS.

I could be completely wrong so don't take what I say as fact.
  19. viper689

viper689 Well-Known Member

Can someone more educated explain all of this to me, please? I wanna be excited too lol
  20. dabomb224

Hah, we scooped the blogs. Score!

Damn, I've already got my Macbook hacking off 25 gigs of my HDD for a build environment, and now I find out that the pros are already on it. Oh well, haha.

EDIT: It's just as well. XCode is needed for the process, and it's 4.5 gigs. This may take a while.
  21. trophynuts

22. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

CDMA versions of phones (that would be Verizon and Sprint) have some proprietary files needed to enable communication with the network/cell towers.

So, despite this being a Nexus phone, Google wasn't able to officially treat it like the GSM version of the phone, because of these proprietary files. They posted what they could, but the phone files were officially posted in the "archive" - it wasn't an active, Android Open Source Project phone.

Apparently, something has changed, and Google is now allowed to post these proprietary files. Which is great, because it means that EVERYTHING you need to build the source code into a working image is now maintained and distributed freely from Google.

I expect this has to do with the rumor that Google will have a whole bunch of Nexus phones next year. They've probably made deals with a lot of companies to distribute their proprietary files.
    mbrainerdii and trophynuts like this.
  23. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I said this in the GNex watering hole, but will repeat here, what if Verizon agreed to give Samsung/Google everything for VZW GNex to go back to AOSP, in exchange for getting the bootloader encrypted on the GS3?
  24. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I think you're looking for conspiracy theories where there are none :)