• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Google Wallet cannot update anymore

So, it finally happened this morning, tried to open wallet to pay for a drink, got a "This version is no longer supported, please update to latest version in Play Store". Except as we know, latest version is blocked from VZW phones.

Same here. The apk from xda worked fine for me too. I didn't even have a hiccup. I dl'd the actual apk from page 2 of that thread and then just launched it straight from the sdcard. Back in the game.

Upvote 0
I've not had a chance to see if this works or not but I will try it when I get home. If you get a chance to try it before me please let us know how it works.

Instructions:

On your device, navigate to Settings > Applications > All > Market and select Clear Data.
Launch ES File Explorer or Root Explorer.
In ES File Explorer under Settings > Root Settings, enable Root Explorer and Mount File System. In Root Explorer, you can simply tap the little mount r/w icon at the top of the screen.
Navigate to the /system folder and open the file name build.prop.
Keep the file pressed and select copy. Paste it somewhere else in any folder and rename the file. (This was a backup.)
Go back to the original file, and open it to edit it. In ES File Explorer, long-press the file and open it in ES Note Editor.
Make the following changes to the lines ro.product.model and ro.product.manufacturer (Nexus S is a widely supported device, but you can change the device as per your requirement):
ro.product.model = Nexus S

ro.product.manufacturer = samsung
Once the changes are made, save the file.
You can now head back to the Market to try and download previously un supported apps, but even if you do manage to download them, there is no guarantee that it will work.

Here is the Original Article

Eligible Devices
Google Wallet with tap and pay requires an NFC enabled Android device with a Secure Element chip running the most recent Android operating system. Google Wallet is available on the following devices on select carrier networks:

Samsung Nexus S on Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM/HSPA+ (available for purchase on Google Play)
Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint
LG Viper™ 4G LTE on Sprint
LG Optimus Elite™ on Sprint and Virgin Mobile
HTC EVO 4G LTE on Sprint
Asus Nexus 7 Tablet (WiFi only) (available for purchase on Google Play)
International Devices

At this time, Google Wallet does not support devices purchased internationally. The eligible device list above only applies to devices purchased from the listed carriers next them. For example, an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 purchased internationally will not work with Google Wallet.

Upvote 0
Here's the one I installed a couple weeks ago. I've got it all set up and it seems to be running fine, I just haven't had the chance to actually buy something yet.

EDIT: This is the R75 version, not the newest R79.

I just installed the R79-v5 and this one seems to still work on VZW. I think the newest version is the R79-v6, which is causing the 'need to update' issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones