• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Google Wallet Updated 1/28/2013

I love using Wallet because it causes jaw dropping expressions sometimes, but I just can't see how it really helps me. If I'm out and about, chances are I've got my wallet on me so that I have my drivers licence. So if I go into a store, I can whip out the card just as fast as my phone, and I know that will be accepted (or I hope lol). Does anybody really see a benefit to using it?

Upvote 0
I have never used wallet yet. Every time I tried, it never worked. Old dog, new tricks.

They actually swapped out the pay pass reader with a regular swipe one so I wouldn't be able to use it anyways, but still. Good thing about a vending machine one, no cashier giving you dirty looks if it doesn't go through :D

Upvote 0
I'll have to try it at your "local theme park" since the pass I get for my "local theme park" will work there. Thanks for the heads-up (and the news of the update). Now if I could just enter my pass in Wallet and get it to work...

Seriously, I'd use my Wallet more if it were available at more places. Until Isis comes out (still waiting, Verizon!), I don't think were going to see a lot of retailers jumping on the bandwagon. As usual, what Big Red wants, Big Red gets!

BTW Rxpert83, I never used either of the $10 credits I got (one for GNex, one for N7). Went online, told Google I wanted a refund, and they sent me two $10 prepaid cards. Sweet!

Think I should put those in my Google Wallet and complete the cycle?

Upvote 0
I used up my $10 at the local Whole Foods. Purely for the expression on their face and the stammering, "did... did you just pay for that with your phone?"

If it were widely accepted, I'd ditch my wallet at home in a second. I don't like carrying stuff. As it is, though, there are only a couple places I can use it which severely limits its usefulness for me.

Upvote 0
I've used it on occasion, but it's not reliable enough. The staff working the register usually isn't trained or patient enough, and if there are customers waiting, neither are they.

It's cool to use, but it got tripped up by the carriers and likely won't be a replacement for my plastic cards, any time soon. Shame, really, because I want to use it.

Upvote 0
that's my point, it's availability is inconsistent lol :)

Thats not true. At least not for me in California. Here are the places that I use it.

Whole Foods
Walgreens
CVS
Peets coffee
Old Navy
Macys

Whole foods I use weekly, walgreens/CVS whenever I need stuff from the drug store and Peets for coffee/tea. Beyond that, I hardly ever have a need to use cash. The $40 I took out from the ATM has been in my physcial wallet for several weeks.

Upvote 0
I've used it on occasion, but it's not reliable enough. The staff working the register usually isn't trained or patient enough, and if there are customers waiting, neither are they.

It's cool to use, but it got tripped up by the carriers and likely won't be a replacement for my plastic cards, any time soon. Shame, really, because I want to use it.

From what I have noticed, there are several types of terminals. There is one in particular that is very bad. Old navy uses it and whole foods used to use it. They worked 50% of the time for me.

At peets, cvs, walgreens they have never failed for me. Those terminals look different. The area where you scan usually have a transparent blue plastic around the top of the terminal.

Lately, I noticed more and more whole foods have replaced their terminal with a slightly newer one that has a small round led at the top. Those seems to work every time now.

Sometimes the cashiers get confused. Some are too quick to end the transaction before you acknowledge the charge on the terminal. Sometimes the cashier doesn't know what kind of payment your google wallet is. For those folks I can usually tell from their perplex look and I would tell them "just use mastercard pay pass" and its fine once they do that. If I tell them google wallet, they get confused.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones