[Verizon] HELP! Verizon GNex stuck in Recovery

Last Updated:

1. schad89

schad89 Active Member

My phone is currently not working at all so I would really appreciate some help. I was running MMuzzy's 4.2 JB ROM (Around the 12/16/12 Version) and I decided to update to the 1/11/13 ROM version. So I installed the files onto my phone and rebooted into recovery, wiped cache and dalvik cache, and installed the files form SD Card. After this, I chose reboot system and it just went straight back into recovery. New ROM wouldn't load. I was an idiot and did not do a backup of my previous rom because I thought it would be a flawless process since I was updating to a new version of the same ROM. So I have no backup to access right now. An odd thing I noticed is when I "chose ZIP from SD card" multiple options such as 0/ and obb came up instead of just showing the files in my SD card. Right now to access my files I have to choose ZIP from sd card, choose 0/, 0/ again, 0/again, and then I can see my ROM and gapps zip files. Since the New rom didnt work I did a factory reset and wiped everything and tried to install the Zips again. Still nothing. Also, the phone can't find any of my old backups. I suspect this has something to do with the odd formatting issue and 0/ and obb folders showing up but I have no idea. What should I do? At this point I don't care If I lose everything on my sd card I just want my phone working.

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Hi Schad. I'm not sure I have all the answers for you but since solutions aren't exactly falling from the sky so far, I think I can provide some info and perhaps some options for you to consider. The /sdcard/0/0 thing is a function of changes we saw from Jellybean. You can get a real good idea of what's going on here:

So...what is the true crux of the problem in your case, that is the question. I'm not sure if your rom will flash with that duplicated file structure but it might if you have been using an older recovery that hasn't been updated for JB use. If that were the case, you could try updating to a newer, JB compatible version by fastboot flashing the recovery image for either clockwork or twrp, assuming you have some knowledge of the android sdk. And that may be all that's needed for a successful flash although the file structure would need dealt with after the fact.

If after flashing an updated recovery you still can't get a rom to load, you could potentially use adb to pull the contents of your /sdcard (which I realize in your case is several layers deep, that's ok). Then once you've saved the contents on your pc, I believe you could again use adb to restructure by using the rmdir command until you are left with only /data/media/0. At that point you could adb push your sd contents, including a working JB rom, back to that location and you should be all set. Again, not sure if all this would be necessary, just saying I believe it could be done.

And finally, as a total last ditch effort, you could fastboot flash back to stock as described in THIS post. If it were me, I'd rather try to save my current configuration if possible, but just saying this option is on the table in a pinch.

Perhaps someone else will chime in who has been through this situation and can shortcut you to the easiest way to proceed. Until then, I didn't want you to think we weren't seeing your thread. :)
    darkcyber and scary alien like this.
  3. schad89

schad89 Active Member

Thanks a lot for your response. I ended up just flashing back to stock.
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides

Glad you got your phone working again.

But for the readers I'd like to make two observations. The latest custom recoveries are REQUIRED for android 4.2.x based ROMs. That is why your file structure got wonky.

Also this is another good reason to stress to always make a nandroid backup before flashing.

p.s. nice response ibt