[Verizon] HELP with "Status 7" Error When Flashing New ROM

1. wilkster79

wilkster79 Active Member

I just tried flashing the new BB 4.1.2 build though Clockwork and got 'status 7' error, 'install aborted' blah blah. I have since tried flashing other builds and keep getting the same error now.

What is causing this and how did I fix it? I had to flash a backup and am now stuck with an older ROM.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Make sure you're using a jb bootloader.
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

+1 ^^^ that. But furthermre, I have been crack flashing over the last couple of days and found that a more harmonious outcome for flashing a new rom on the i515 is a bit more involved than just using rom manager. I know you said your using CWRecovery, but let me go further.

Boot into recovery. Then do a factory data reset (wipes data/cache). Then go to advanced and wipe Dalvik cache (not totally sure this is needed but WTF). But I think most important with flashing and sometimes even restoring backups is to go to the 'mounts' menu and wipe /system.

That has been the one thing that has made all my rom flashes go much better since I have had your same error (or similar) if I don't. And sometimes nandroid restores have issues unless I perform this step.

good luck
    NSutherl likes this.
  4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Also, just an elementary procedure, but a lot of people forget it:

Verify the MD5 of the ROM on the phone BEFORE you flash anything. You want to know that you got a bit-for-bit download without any errors. Astro and Root Explorer both check MD5s. Long-press the zip file and select "Properties".
    scary alien likes this.
  5. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

What version of CWM are you on? There were some bad builds a while back and the latest TWRP (2.3.0) will also give you a "status 7" error.

You can flash any version recovery with Rom Toolbox. Manage Rom... Flash Recovery (under "manage" tab).

6. i never do this ;)
  7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

You're awfully trusting, Pits... I ALWAYS check the MD5 :)
    scary alien likes this.

8. yeah i should too lol
    scary alien likes this.
  9. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

^^^ LOL (did I mention AFV or another alternative app? :p)

Also, if the .zip is signed, then AFV has a "Verify Jar-Type File" function that will verify the integrity of a file even without knowing the MD5 (since the digests are included in the MANIFEST.MF file inside the META-INF folder).

Cheers!
  10. LoBatt

LoBatt Well-Known Member

OT but where can I find a JB bootloader?
  11. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

Try www.peteralfonso.com. I also have a copy in my collection, but I got it from him and his has actual descriptions and links. Mine is just a directory.

good luck