Verizon Holster Problem - Droid XAccessories

Last Updated:

1. stevez444

stevez444 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I bought the Verizon holster for my Droid X to use until Seidio comes out with theirs.

Problem is any time I put the X back in the holster, the screen lights up. I have to hit the power button to turn it off while it's still in the holster. I believe the holster is hitting the home button when I put it in.

Problem #2: Often times when I look down at the X in the holster, the screen is on. I think it comes on when I bump my arm against it.

Anyway, I'm having short battery life and I know that this is part of the problem. My X says the screen is using most of the battery.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Trauma

Trauma Well-Known Member

press the lock button before putting it in the holster...

Also, the screen will always read as 40%+ of ur battery usage.

3. stevez444

I do hit the power button to black out the screen before I put it back in the holster.

The screen lights up anyway.

My battery usage is showing 78%. That's what it's been running these first two days.

Thanks.

4. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Is anyone else having this issue? I was considering the holster but don't like annoying issues like this.

5. stevez444

I had the Seidio Combo on my Droid 1.

Loved it. Much better than this one from Verizon.

Their X combo is supposed to hit Aug. 9th from what I can gather.

I just need this one to limp home!

Seidio costs more but worth it to me. Was a good price at Amazon.

6. sodaboy581

sodaboy581 Well-Known Member

I have the Verizon belt clip holster and don't experience this problem.

7. stevez444

You know maybe I have a bad one.

One quick question.

Mine takes two hands to put the X back into the holster.

One to hold the top clasp up and the other to put the X in place. Does yours do this?

With my Seidio, I just put it in place with one hand and pushed it against my side and it clicked in place.

8. CriticalMass

CriticalMass Well-Known Member

I have similar issues but i think it happens when I pull the phone out of the holster the buttons get pressed. sometimes i'll turn on the screen and be in some app.

I've just gotten into the habit of locking the screen when putting it in the holster. problem solved.

9. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Well-Known Member

There is probably a magnet in the case that is triggering the car dock

10. stevez444

Thanks for the input.

By locking the screen before putting it into the holster, do you mean hitting the power button to turn the screen black, and then putting it into the holster?

If so, that's what I do too. I hit the power button right before putting the phone in the holster. As soon as I lock it in the holster, I look down at the top left side and I can see that the screen has come back to life. I push the power button again, once or twice as needed, while it's still in the holster and the screen goes black again. But I've been watching it a lot today and often when I look down it is bright again.

This happens a lot, usually after I've walked down the hall or made some other movement. I just turned the holster so the phone is horizontal, then back up to vertical, and sure enough the screen lit up.

I'm starting to think maybe the phone has a setting to go dark when placed in a holster or when you're on a call and the phone is up to your ear.

Maybe my phone has a defect in this area.

I think I'll hit the Verizon store on my way home tonight and see what they say.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

11. ptown434

ptown434 Well-Known Member

Maybe the holster is hitting the home button, which also works as a unlock button.

I bought a cheap holster on ebay, and if i pushed on the holster the wrong way, it'll press the home button, and it'll light up. I am assuming since the holster lays flat against the phone, and the phone has physical buttons raised above the phone surface, it would only naturally happen.,

12. stevez444

I took it to Verizon on my way home and the guy looked at it and decided it was a bad design. He had never sold one if these. There was a little indentation where the hard buttons were but it wasn't deep enough. The case was hitting the home button.

He gave me one of their combo case and slide in holster, no additional charge. Problem solved. I think I'll use this until Seidio comes out with their Innocase combo and if I like this I'll keep it.

I'm liking it so far. Getting used to the slide in holster rather than the snap in like I had. I'm just happy to have a case that doesn't drain my battery.

Thanks for all your input gang.

13. rkrasny

rkrasny Active Member

I also experienced this with the verizon holster. My battery life was significantly suffering as a result. I then purchased the only reasonable replacement I could find - the rubberized skin case and belt clip combination also from the verizon store. It is ugly and the mechanism to slide it out of the holster by friction is annoying and takes a lot of getting used to, but my device no longer suffers from inadvertent button presses and decreased battery life.

I am also eagerly awaiting a seidio combination for this phone as I have used them extensively in the past.

14. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

Me neither. Not Once.

Yes you did. I exchanged for another identical. Exchanged due to another reason, I noticed mine had actually gotten what felt like a small flake of rock????? underneath the rubberized coat where the screen touches. It would have damaged my screen protector, had I put it on immediately.
    Tiny imperfection felt quite abrasive.

He should of opened a second one of the same kind and let you try it out to see if the second belt holster did the same thing first.
    Glad you have something that works and you like now.

15. GPIslander

GPIslander New Member

Had the same problem. Holster case Verizon sold me was pressing the HOME key. Bad design by case AND Verizon. Simple fix. Took a Dremel tool and simply cut out a little slot in the (plastic) case where the HOME key is. Also made a little notch in the clip that goes around the top of the phone since it comes very close to touching the power key. Phone battery had lasted just one day, screen used 76% of power. No problems anymore.

mrjay54 likes this.
  16. Jacktheringster

Jacktheringster Member

I have the hoslter case combo, no problems. Pretty nice and won't be changing anytime soon.

17. speedbagger

speedbagger Active Member

same issue here--home button gets pressed on holstering.

the attention to detail regarding this design (and manufacturing--see next sentance) is questionable.

also an issue is the flash/parting line location on the holster coming out of the mold. the parting lines at the bottom of the holster are sharp and have rubbed the rubberized coating off the bottom edges of my phone.

18. jhelkins

jhelkins New Member

Not only is it difficult to remove the cased DROIDX from the holster, it may be IMPOSSIBLE to remove the DROIDX from the case. I decided to remove the DROIDX from the case to see if it had anything to do with WiFi reception difficulties that seemed to start about the same time I got the new case/holster. Now, I can't get the DROIDX out of the case. I may have to cut it out.

Anybody else have this problem?

19. mrjay54

mrjay54 New Member

I also had problems with the phone turning on when replaced in the case. My problem was also rectified by modifying the case with a dremel tool. I marked where the home button was located when placed in the case and grooved out that area. All seems well now, but I'll check the next couple of days to see if carrying the phone around still turns it on. Also, need to be careful when placing in the case not to touch power button on top. I also made a small groove here because it is close to the button.

20. HVAC1447

HVAC1447 Member

I had the same problem and solved it by putting the X into the case with the screen facing out and not towards my hip. Wierd!

21. Chaznsc

Chaznsc Well-Known Member

Isnt this the magnet turning the phone on as if its being docked?

22. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

23. willyjay

willyjay Active Member

With the leather belt case HERE if you put the face of the X against the case while the flap is opened, it will turn the screen on. Usually it will show CarDock.
    So if you have the phone in your palm and are lifting the flap, it could brush against the face of the pouch part.

Just FYI

24. peakcomp

peakcomp Member

Actually, there is a magnet inside the case...when the droid X comes into contact with the magnet (inside or outside of the case)..it enters into CAR DOCK MODE..and lights up the screen...how does one TURN OFF the CAR DOCK mode..or furthermore, REMOVE car dock?

(try rubbing your X on the OUTSIDE of the case, and it will light up as well)

Ken

25. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

First of all welcome to the forums. Glad to have you here and I hope you enjoy your stay. :D

Now for business.... this thread is not discussing any case that contains magnets. This thread is discussing the design of the Verizon Holster and how some of the indentations for the buttons are not deep enough. There are NO magnets involved with this holster as I have already mentioned previously. There is no outside of the case to rub it on because it is a plastic molded holster and not an enclosed case.

Check these threads for help with your problem,

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-accessories/187026-leather-pouch-magnetic-closure-ok-droid-x.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-accessories/196112-possible-issue-dx-magnetic-cases.html

GMB