[Verizon] How can I recover back to stock?

Last Updated:

1. rdefino

rdefino Well-Known Member

I found this link for "all in one root + recovery" http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2301720

But I cannot find how to go back to stock with after loading a new rom.

I want to test out hyper drive, but cannot figure out how to go back to stock.

Also, I load CWM usign the "all in one root", but when backing up to external SD it errors out when backing up /data.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help!!

2. halon

halon hakuna matata VIP Member

3. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

If you haven't already flashed a non-stock ROM, then you should be able to make a backup of your stock ROM. Once you've done that you can always go back to it by restoring it.
    PS. It's always a good idea to make a backup of stock, in case something goes wrong with a different ROM you have a 'known good' place to return to.
  4. rdefino

Backing up my stock Rom didn't work. /data wouldn't back up using cwm. I installed cwm using the one click root recovery tool.
    Is there a better way to backup.
  5. Unicorn512

Unicorn512 Well-Known Member

I ran into the same problem with CWM. It would not backup to my EXTSD because of the way it was formatted. There is a program called FAT32FORMAT that you can use to reformat the SD card, but you have to do it on your PC (not your phone.)

1) Pull the SD card and put it in your PC (worked with Win7)
    2) Copy ALL the data from SD to a temp folder on PC
    3) Reformat the SD card to FAT32 (cannot be undone)
    4) Copy all data back from temp folder to SD card
    5) Put SD Card back in phone and now CWM WILL mount the SD card and do backup.

Didn't lose any space or seem to affect anything else....
  6. rdefino

Cool, so once I preform the format and backup, can I use the SD card the way it is for my other folders I copied off. Also, can I just leave it the way it is and preform the restore if needed...with my other data copied back to it?

7. rdefino

so I still have the problem baking up. After it gets done backing up system it tries to back up /Data and I get "can't mount /data!
  8. Unicorn512

Unicorn512 Well-Known Member

Yes, after the reformat, the SD card works as you would expect it to. There was a good discussion somewhere on XDA (sorry I don't have the link) about why this change is needed.
  9. matther22xdroid

matther22xdroid Well-Known Member

I had this problem also.

Basically that error mean't that I did not have enough space for the backup.

Hope this helps.
  10. rdefino

I did tell it to backup to the ext sd card. I tried TWRP and it said failed to decrypt /data. My phone is encrypted.

Do you know of any other way to back up an encrypted phone?
  11. matther22xdroid

Did you try another card?
  12. rdefino

same thing with new card. Failed to decrypt data.

It has to be because the phone is encrypted and I cannot figure out how to decrypt it.
  13. matther22xdroid

I think you will have to do a Factory Reset, have you tried that?
  14. rdefino

Well I wanted to backup first so I cen load a new rom and go back to my configured stock ROM if I wanted to.
  15. matther22xdroid

Since you encrypted I think your only route is to factory reset to decrypt. Set your phone back up how you want it then backup and flash a new rom...