[Verizon] How to RooT after update?

Last Updated:

1. offtheRIM

offtheRIM Well-Known Member

My son just got his phone and before we could root, his phone updated from
    [ JRO03C ALJB ] to JRO03C ALL4.
    We tried using QBkings method but Toolbox only shows JRO03C ALJB.
    then Fails in odin.
    Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
    Model: (Verizon SCH-I605)
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Guitar4him

Guitar4him Well-Known Member

3. nsa_sailor

nsa_sailor Well-Known Member

offtheRIM likes this.
  4. Guitar4him

Guitar4him Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip....it worked great!!! Actually, I didn't use the Root66 image...I used the other stock image that is available over at XDA with the Root66 image.

Folks need to know this....If you have a Galaxy Note II that is rooted with a stock image and you get the OTA, you can still root it. Just follow the instructions at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2024207

I'm no rocket-scientist when it comes to hacking on these phones and I've been bummed all day thinking I was screwed. Now, I have root again and the universe is in alignment. :D
    offtheRIM likes this.
  5. MrBobo

MrBobo Well-Known Member

Gents, just rooted using only this guide, no need to flash back to the last image, I was able to do this method without downloading the 1 gig full image, just follow post one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2118348

all you need to do is download the casual backatcha jar program (make sure you have java installed first), then run that program. You will need to use the odin linked in the post to flash two gz files during the process so make sure you download what he says you need. It took literally maybe five minutes to download everything and get root/unlock the bootloader and install twrp recovery. ENJOY, again, no need to odin back to before the update.
  6. golfinglenn

golfinglenn Well-Known Member

Okay, I did this and was successful, got the phone to look like it was in the video at the end, then rebooted phone and it looks exactly like it did before I started (which is a good thing), but where do I go to manipulate phone now? How do I remove bloatware, which is all I really want to do right now.

I use to have a rooted incredible, then went to the darkside, but am back with the N2 but forgot everything I knew back in the day.

Thanks,

Glenn
  7. BenDroid

BenDroid Well-Known Member

I guess my question is....do I need to unlock the bootloader if a plan to root and install a custom ROM on this thing? If the bootloader needs to be unlocked, what is the easiest method at this point?
  8. MrBobo

MrBobo Well-Known Member

You do need to unlock the bootloader, the post I made does both root and unlocks the bootloader.

To debloat just use titanium to freeze or un install programs you don't want
  9. jellyhead

jellyhead Active Member

If you want to be able to install OTAs then you don't really want to remove any stock apps or the OTAs will fail. The best app for this is Titanuim Backup. You can freeze the apps you don't need which will leave them in place so updates will still work. Even though the apks aren't removed, the apps appear as though they are gone. The frozen apps don't appear in the apps drawer at all. When you go to app manager you will see all of the frozen apps at the bottom of the list as disabled. The frozen apps remain frozen even after OTAs.

If you use TB to backup your apps and settings before upgrading to a new device, you can restore all of them on your new device without needing to configure any personalized settings. It is well worth it to buy Titanium Backup.
  10. brownchm

brownchm Well-Known Member

If you root you can get updates from the rom deveopers faster than you would Verizon