• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Is a full 4.2 ROM really worth the trouble?

Is a full 4.2 ROM really worth the trouble?

• Jelly Bean? I'm still on Ice Cream Sandwich

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So although most think that a 4.2.x rom is snappier and I have been advised to go ahead and try one; if I don't like it go ahead and revert back to 4.1.x.

But I have read that there are still major obstacles reverting back to 4.1.x from 4.2.x. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Point being, I am still wanting to know is if a full 4.2.x rom is worth the trouble, especially if I do not like it.

I have the 4.2 camera working just fine, I don't care about a new keyboard.

TIA

Upvote 0
Some say if you use TWRP the swap to and Fro is painless. Not at my house. Some say the same if you use the latest CWM, again not at my house.

I advise making a PC full backup of your SDcard, and a nandroid to the PC also. I backup using the Galaxy Nexus ToolKit because its easily restored through it.

But if you flash the 4.2 and decide to return some have trouble finding their nandroids. Some say its easy and explain but it is not the same for all including my Nexus.

What I wound up doing on my last and final one was flashing the 4.2. Transferring an AOKP JB 4.1 Build .zip to the SDcard while on the 4.2. Found I did not like it and booted into recovery fully wiping and flashing the 4.1 Zip. Loaded CWM and restored my latest nandroid.

I'm going to sit tight and wait for the Motorola/Google X-Phone with Key Lime Pie. My AOKP JB M1 runs Superb anyways..

Upvote 0
Jelly Belly 11.1 is running great for me paired with the latest 4.2 stable lean kernel. But honestly, besides quick settings (two finger notification pulldown)...4.2 doesn't really bring much new that you couldn't have on a 4.1 ROM. There is a more noticeable lag on 4.2 when apps are updating but besides that...no issues with stability.

Word of advice...stick with a ROM that focuses on stability vs. features for newer Android releases. I'll run Jelly Belly until I think Sorcery or another fully featured ROM can compete when it comes to performance and stability.

Upvote 0
Is it worth it? Well for me, yes. Jb roms for me haven't been operating as well since ICS, and the xenon ROM I'm running has enough features for me. I get better battery life and my phone just works better. I don't really care for swype.

If your phone works fine and you have all the features you want, maybe it's not worth it for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones