Verizon is really stepping it up with app exclusivity!

Last Updated:

1. thomasanderson

thomasanderson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that Verizon is really killing Sprint on the Droid aspect with app exclusivity. I just saw a Droid X commercial for the Blockbuster app and it was awesome. If Im not mistaken isnt Skype exclusive to Verizon as well?

What do we Evo owners have? A buggy barely functional Qik app, that they plan to charge for before they can even get it functioning properly. Whats up? Why is Sprint letting Verizon get all the cool apps?

Advertisement
  2. taz92

taz92 Well-Known Member

im assuming b/c those apps take alot of data and they dont want to bog down their network. As long as they keep offering unlimited data they can have those apps on verizons expensive network.

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Verizon's got buying power, Blockbuster is facing bankruptcy, and Skype corporate can't find its butt with both hands (besides - I'm not aware that Skype client for Verizon/Android offers videochat anyway).

Let's see what happens - I'm becoming intrigued with Adobe Air, even though that's futureware right now.

That said - the X/Blockbuster ad where the guy's eye goes all Terminator?

Maybe the best commercial I've ever seen for technology fusion.

Eagle Eye

4. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member

We get a kickstand:D

5. DarkNeo

I rather have a netflix app :cool:

thekarens likes this.
  6. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

BTW, does anyone know if someone has dumped a copy of the BlockBuster app?:confused:

7. CriticalCritic

8. DarkNeo

Wont install on EVO.

CriticalCritic likes this.
  9. edriggers

edriggers Well-Known Member

+1000

I can't wait to see the day when Blockbuster finally kicks the bucket.

10. UCChemE05

UCChemE05 Well-Known Member

Why? Any reason besides its "cool" to rag on Blockbuster?

I for one to not wish them to go bankrupt. Someone needs to compete with Netflix to keep prices down and service decent for consumers. Competition is good.

11. *king*

*king* Active Member

redbox is only 1.00, i dont think dvd rental will get much cheaper

12. CriticalCritic

Because BlockBuster has crap for service and crap for prices! When Netflix stopped getting new released on their release date, I dropped them and went to blockbuster... for about a month.

I picked up the 3 DVDs/BRs at a time plan. In that month span I received a total of something like 15 DVDs. Of those, I only received 6 correct movies within a 3 mail-day turnaround. In other words, over the course of my new subscription I received 9 movies that were either 1-the wrong movie than what they said they had sent, 2-a movie from the bottom of my queue (skipped nearly a dozen movies that were listed as in-stock), 3-a duplicate movie of what they had already sent to me, 4-a movie that was not even in my queue, or 5-a 4 to5 day turnaround. It was a very painful experience and I enjoyed firing them! /rant

Anyways, that said I agree that I do not want to see them go bankrupt. The realize that competitive pressure drives prices down, and without a strong competitor Netflix would inevitably raise their prices. So while I wouldn't mind hearing the screams of those in charge of blockbuster's billing/charging policies getting a Netflix boot literally planted in their asses, I do not want to see the company go belly up.:rolleyes:

13. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Good news is VZW exclusivity with Skype ends this year :D

14. CriticalCritic

Seriously? Damn!
    Are there not any Mods working on a compatibility fix for this!?

15. Ashunte

Ashunte Member

I have had none of the problems with my Blockbuster program but I only get blu-rays so I guess that's why.

16. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Keep prices down? Blockbuster charged me $10 a piece to rent video games for 3 days. They can kick all metal buckets uphill with a giant magnet behind them.

And who cares if Verizon has Skype, they don't even have a front facing camera to use it with (at least not with the X). So what's the point?

17. CriticalCritic

Keep Netflix's prices down... Netflix has low prices in order to undercut blockbuster and make large profits through capturing large market share. If Blockbuster intelligently succumbed to market pressure they would have lowered their prices, and they wouldn't be on the bleeding edge of bankruptcy.

I care that Verizon has Skype. As long as they have exclusivity, I cannot use it on my phone with my front facing camera. Sure, Verizon can't make great use of their exclusivity, but WE could. That's the point.

18. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

When I saw the blockbuster app it made me wonder how they pulled it off. Why can't netflix come up with an android app? (yes, I know it is coming...but an almost dead company beat them to it)

Also-I would much rather see blockbuster climb out of their hole. As said earlier, competition is good. They need to change almost everything, but it's been done before.

19. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

"Blockbuster generates 20% of its revenue through late fees
    My lifestyle does make a difference!
    By stragegically failing, I'm proactively participating in a conservitive effort to expand the nations GNP
    This is my contract with America."

it's been cool to hate on Blockbuster for decades, man

20. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

Can you name a better game rental service? Yea $10 is expensive but if i can beat a game in that time frame then i saved $50. I've used gamefly but there newest games are hardly ready to ship on day 1 and the turn around is terrible.

21. CriticalCritic

Buy at gamestop then swap/re-sell when finished.

22. Oridus

Oridus Well-Known Member

I can get 30 dvds from netflix a month for 9 bucks. just sayin.

23. CriticalCritic

How? I want to know the secret to the instant mail turnaround! (seriously though, still better than redbox)

24. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

I wish someone would undercut Skype by making a phone to pc video chat. Skype was smart to hitch their wagon to a carrier who passed on phones with front facing cameras.