• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Is there a stock JB rom?

pwnev

Lurker
Jan 18, 2013
Im currently on CM10 but I kinda want to revert it to stock, so I was wondering if there was a stock JB rom and where I could find it, or am I gonna have to OTA it from ICS? I have a slow connection so I don't wanna do two downloads if I can get it in one.

Upvote 0
I tried that nowipe ROM, but it just didn't work. I would get to the Samsung 4G LTE screen and it would just sit there for a long long time. I was coming from CM10 as well. I then tried to go back to CM10, but the nowipe ROM relocked the bootloader and I got stuck with the triangle saying I needed to bring it back to Verizon to remove the unauthorized software.

I had to flash the actual OTA (low ship) to get everything to work. I'm not rooted or unlocked now, but I haven't felt the need to re-root just yet. The OTA is at this link:

Section 5, Step 2:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1762709

Upvote 0
I tried that nowipe ROM, but it just didn't work. I would get to the Samsung 4G LTE screen and it would just sit there for a long long time. I was coming from CM10 as well. I then tried to go back to CM10, but the nowipe ROM relocked the bootloader and I got stuck with the triangle saying I needed to bring it back to Verizon to remove the unauthorized software.

I had to flash the actual OTA (low ship) to get everything to work. I'm not rooted or unlocked now, but I haven't felt the need to re-root just yet. The OTA is at this link:

Section 5, Step 2:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1762709

It's like mama said, you must wipe son.

Upvote 0
Welcome to AF!!
Will this do for ya?

or this may be better:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1974114

After reading the nearly 1000 post thread on this ROM I did the deed, carefully following what has to be one of the best guides I have ever seen. Up and running, rooted JB stock VRZBLK3 with an unlocked bootloader and Clockworkmod Touch Recovery. :)

And the "No Wipe" style is the first I have seen, but it makes absolute sense to me. If Verizon can push us a whole new OS version (JB) and not make us lose our apps and data, why couldn't a dev do it too? He did, and with spectacular results. It seems more fluid as things open and close and definitely more peppy than stock rooted ICS.

I asked if it would be a simple matter to flash a previous ICS rooted nandroid if I wanted to reverse my tracks on this ROM and he said it would absolutely work to do that. The guide is written well enough for even flash-newbs like me, and covers everything. Just follow the steps to the letter. Couldn't be much easier, considering it appears there is no one click root at this time for JB.

Cool beans!
:cool:

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
After reading the nearly 1000 post thread on this ROM I did the deed, carefully following what has to be one of the best guides I have ever seen. Up and running, rooted JB stock VRZBLK3 with an unlocked bootloader and Clockworkmod Touch Recovery. :)

And the "No Wipe" style is the first I have seen, but it makes absolute sense to me. If Verizon can push us a whole new OS version (JB) and not make us lose our apps and data, why couldn't a dev do it too? He did, and with spectacular results. It seems more fluid as things open and close and definitely more peppy than stock rooted ICS.

I asked if it would be a simple matter to flash a previous ICS rooted nandroid if I wanted to reverse my tracks on this ROM and he said it would absolutely work to do that. The guide is written well enough for even flash-newbs like me, and covers everything. Just follow the steps to the letter. Couldn't be much easier, considering it appears there is no one click root at this time for JB.

Cool beans!
:cool:

Generally if you are upgrading the same ROM you can get away without wiping, and if you do it's usually just davlik or cache. And when Verizon does it, they know all of the framework from one version to the other which makes it easy. When going from ROM to ROM, there are times when you can skip the wipe. But when switching from one random framework to another, it's just a good idea no to gamble.

If you want to keep it easy to switch, watch a good video on Titanium Backup. Learn it love it. And set you layout and screens up in NOVA so you can back it up to your external SD card and bring it back up. Once you are good with "TIBU" and NOVA. Switching ROMs is a breeze even when you have to wipe. I pretty much wipe every time whether I have to or not. To get the maximum battery life and least conflicts within the ROM. And honestly, there are only a few apps other than NOVA that you would need to restore the data on anyway.

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
Generally if you are upgrading the same ROM you can get away without wiping, and if you do it's usually just davlik or cache. And when Verizon does it, they know all of the framework from one version to the other which makes it easy. When going from ROM to ROM, there are times when you can skip the wipe. But when switching from one random framework to another, it's just a good idea no to gamble.

If you want to keep it easy to switch, watch a good video on Titanium Backup. Learn it love it. And set you layout and screens up in NOVA so you can back it up to your external SD card and bring it back up. Once you are good with "TIBU" and NOVA. Switching ROMs is a breeze even when you have to wipe. I pretty much wipe every time whether I have to or not. To get the maximum battery life and least conflicts within the ROM. And honestly, there are only a few apps other than NOVA that you would need to restore the data on anyway.

Thanks for the info. :)

There are 2 primary reasons why I would ever want to root my device:

1 - nandroid backups (something that should have been baked into the original Android OS and every update since)

2 - TIBU

;)

Although TIBU has issues I'd like to see corrected, I do use it to save and restore my apps. The biggest issue for me is their use of misleading terminology, which makes learning it counterintuitive. Backing up "all apps and SYSTEM data" makes one think "Operating System data" as in the working data of the ROM itself, which one generally would not want to restore into a different ROM version. But what it actually DOES is back up "all apps and APPLICATION data". A very different scenario. And it is not explained in the documentation. I had to ask on a forum to get this information. The latter of course restores your apps WITH all their custom settings in place. Very much better than simply restoring apps alone and having to re-work the custom settings on every one of them. Once I learned that it was even more valuable to me.

Again, it puzzles me why something of that nature is not baked into the Android OS. But then having both those features would somewhat release a user from the draconian control of the contract provider, which I doubt we'll ever see. Android for me is the manifestation of that escape, made possible only by this wonderful support community.

NOVA, I have never heard of before your mentioning it. But I'll look into it. :)

Thanks.

Edit - were you referring to Nova Launcher?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones