• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [KERNEL][4.0.4] Franco M4 & Nightlies (6/5)

I have it on now. To be perfectly frank, screen off time is about the same although it's hard to tell now since it's a new flash with everything wiped. I'll need a day or two. But, and here's the being frank part, no matter which kernel I use, when I start doing something on LTE the battery drains like a sieve. Obviously, it's not as bad on wifi, but I just can't see that changing anytime soon. Baby B pretty much has it summed up, you don't get that much screen on time with this device and current batt / ext batt.

Reactions: jbdan and Trooper
Upvote 0
I have it on now. To be perfectly frank, screen off time is about the same although it's hard to tell now since it's a new flash with everything wiped. I'll need a day or two. But, and here's the being frank part, no matter which kernel I use, when I start doing something on LTE the battery drains like a sieve. Obviously, it's not as bad on wifi, but I just can't see that changing anytime soon. Baby B pretty much has it summed up, you don't get that much screen on time with this device and current batt / ext batt.

True indeed. It's gonna drain when your using it especially on LTE as is evident in my LTE vs WIFI test with consistent parameters and by everyone else results. But on 13.1, the screen on drain is by far the most efficient I've seen on any kernel. If you look closely at the ADV ANC tab in setCPU this is where that efficiency is tweaked. Have you ever played with the threshold settings? It makes big changes in the kernels performance and screen on & off battery drain. Let us know how 14.3 progresses over the next day!

Reactions: bjanow
Upvote 0
I looked at the adv anc tab but quickly moved on since I had no clue as to what it does. Everyone is saying how 13.1 is great so I'll keep that one in my quiver for this weekend if things don't work out with 14.3. I did just drop the low speed down to 350 from 700 default. Even Imo's older 1.5.1 exp6 is raved about and I used that one as well with the best results so far. I'm thinking you are on to something regarding all the frequent updates.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
I know you've run them all. Do you think Franco 13.1 was better than Imo 1.5.1 for your device?

Yup! Idle battery drain was equal between the two (also imo 1.2.1 and 1.6.6 exp 4-230MHz), but 'screen-on' and 'in-use' battery life is where 13.1 excels for me. As for responsiveness, they are all very similar imo.

Reactions: bjanow
Upvote 0
Downloaded 13.1. Can someone suggest any setcpu settings for me? I've never used it before. Also, do I select the interactivex governor from within setcpu, or install separately? Thanks

If you have setCPU presently installed and have made voltage tweaks or "set on boot" any options, before flashing francos 13.1 go to settings> apps> all> setCPU> clear data. Also if you are coming from a modified ramdisk kernel like imoseyons, first flash the 4.0.3 reset kernel by faux.

As for setCPU settings, after wiping dalvik cache and flashing 13.1 reboot the phone. Once booted open up setCPU and set the minimum frequency to 350MHz with the little slider. Then put a check in the box that says "set on boot". Leave it on the default governor which is "conservative". That is it!

Reactions: Namrak
Upvote 0
If you have setCPU presently installed and have made voltage tweaks or "set on boot" any options, before flashing francos 13.1 go to settings> apps> all> setCPU> clear data. Also if you are coming from a modified ramdisk kernel like imoseyons, first flash the 4.0.3 reset kernel by faux.

As for setCPU settings, after wiping dalvik cache and flashing 13.1 reboot the phone. Once booted open up setCPU and set the minimum frequency to 350MHz with the little slider. Then put a check in the box that says "set on boot". Leave it on the default governor which is "conservative". That is it!

Should I leave the Max at 1350?

Also right now the tags are at:
1350mhz-1300mv
122mhz-1200mv
920mhz-1100mv
700mhz-1000mv
360mhz-900mv
Do you recommend tweaking any of this?

I also wanted to set profiles for "charging" and "screen off" to optimize battery usage. Is it worth it? And if so what do you recommend the settings to be?

The conservative gov is "better" than interactive?

Upvote 0
Should I leave the Max at 1350?

Also right now the tags are at:
1350mhz-1300mv
122mhz-1200mv
920mhz-1100mv
700mhz-1000mv
360mhz-900mv
Do you recommend tweaking any of this?

I also wanted to set profiles for "charging" and "screen off" to optimize battery usage. Is it worth it? And if so what do you recommend the settings to be?

The conservative gov is "better" than interactive?

I think franco has done an excellent job on the default voltage and governer settings so I suggest leaving them be. Stock should be 1200MHz max on the first page that opens in setCPU. Those are your frequencies set, not the ones on the voltage VOL tab. Make sure it is set to 1200MHz with the little slider.

As for 'screen off' profiles I highly recommend to not use them. A charging profile is fine do what you want with that.

Yes I think the conservative gov, on this particular kernel, is better than the rest as franco tweaked the ADV ANC tables very nicely.

Upvote 0
thanks so much for this thread, wanted to add a couple of things i figured out today with your help

first to get old versions of the kernel, you can refer to this post in franco's thread on xda: xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL][GPL][27 JAN - #14.4] franco.Kernel | 4.0.3 | OC | UV | INIT.D | COLORCONTROL

second, to set the hotplug function automatically, you have to use an init.d script. this was very easy to do, but very hard for a noob like me to figure out.

DISCLAIMER: LIKE ALL ROOT ACCESS TYPE ACTIVITY, THIS CAN MESS YOUR PHONE UP. MAKE SURE TO NANDROID AND I DISCLAIM ALL LIABILITY FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE (also, this is only for LTE GNEX and I only tried this on my own phone running AOKP 21 and FRANCO 13.1)

1. create a text file (in windows you can right click in a folder and select new --> text document) containing the following two commands:

#!/system/bin/sh
echo 1 > /sys/module/dsscomp/parameters/hotplug_enabled

2. after saving this file, remove the .txt extension. name the file whatever you want, but make sure it has no extension. my file is name "hotplug" - no dot anything.

3. copy the file to this directory on your phone using root explorer (you will probably have to mount as r/w first): /system/etc/init.d

4. long press the file on your phone in the init.d directory and select permissions (again you'll have to be mounted as r/w). make sure the permissions are checked for "read" 'write" and "execute" for all three owner group and others. leave the special permissions blank.

When you look at the file (in the directory, not its contents) after doing this it should say rwxrwxrwx next to it in small letters. also viewable by long pressing on it and selecting properties.

5. reboot.

6. check if your script worked by going to /sys/module/dsscomp/parameters/ and long press on hotplug_enabled and select view as text at the bottom. hopefully, it says 1.

7. profit

Upvote 0
BIG update: OP to #15 read the changelog for important info on settings and tuning

Have you tried it yet? The previous Franco was fast, but it killed my battery and got my phone a little hot, so it seemed. Then I went to a lean kernel, good battery life, but I would have random freezes that forced me to pull the battery. So now I'm back to a bone stock aokp21 until further notice.

Upvote 0
Have you tried it yet? The previous Franco was fast, but it killed my battery and got my phone a little hot, so it seemed. Then I went to a lean kernel, good battery life, but I would have random freezes that forced me to pull the battery. So now I'm back to a bone stock aokp21 until further notice.

It was just released, but I'll be running it tonight :) I'll let you know

I attribute most, not all, peoples bad experiences with a kernel to either their flash/wipe methods, their tweaking parameters, and/or their particular phone. With the droves of people that run his kernels w/o a single issue I have to make this assumption.

Nothing wrong with stock kernel if it works for you then awesome!

Reactions: strodda and jmar
Upvote 0
It was just released, but I'll be running it tonight :) I'll let you know

I attribute most, not all, peoples bad experiences with a kernel to either their flash/wipe methods, their tweaking parameters, and/or their particular phone. With the droves of people that run his kernels w/o a single issue I have to make this assumption.

Nothing wrong with stock kernel if it works for you then awesome!

For example I am testing 13.1, but I came from Faux's 10 and forgot about ram disk differences. Meaning I forgot to flash the reset kernel before flashing Franco's 13.1! Boo:( Testing all over again.

Thanks for reminding me without trying!

Upvote 0
For example I am testing 13.1, but I came from Faux's 10 and forgot about ram disk differences. Meaning I forgot to flash the reset kernel before flashing Franco's 13.1! Boo:( Testing all over again.

Thanks for reminding me without trying!

what is the proper process to go between kernels? I have just been clearing cache and wiping dalvik. correct or no? Ive never heard about a reset kernel.

Upvote 0
what is the proper process to go between kernels? I have just been clearing cache and wiping dalvik. correct or no? Ive never heard about a reset kernel.

If you've ever used a kernel that has a modified ramdisk it's been observed and recommended that when flashing another kernel of a different make to first flash a stock 4.0.3 kernel. What most of us have been referring to as "faux's reset kernel". You can find it here. I'm not smart enough to know all these differences I just like to listen to the guys who make these things :D

idk if there is 100% correct way to wipe between kernel changes everyone is different and everyone experiences different rates of success in their methods. What I've always done is just to wipe dalvik cache between kernel changes. Who really knows :p I know of one kernel dev who doesn't wipe anything at all between kernel changes. Guess you just have to find what works best for you.

Reactions: jmar and strodda
Upvote 0
If you've ever used a kernel that has a modified ramdisk it's been observed and recommended that when flashing another kernel of a different make to first flash a stock 4.0.3 kernel. What most of us have been referring to as "faux's reset kernel". You can find it here. I'm not smart enough to know all these differences I just like to listen to the guys who make these things :D

idk if there is 100% correct way to wipe between kernel changes everyone is different and everyone experiences different rates of success in their methods. What I've always done is just to wipe dalvik cache between kernel changes. Who really knows :p I know of one kernel dev who doesn't wipe anything at all between kernel changes. Guess you just have to find what works best for you.

I always wipe cache and dalvik. I have read that nothing is required when flashing a kernel, but it does no harm and only takes a minute of extra time. Now make sure that if you are coming from a ramdisk modified kernel like faux's, clear setcpu's data from the settings-->apps menu, boot into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik if you like, then flash the reset kernel, then the new kernel, back to back, no wipe needed!

Upvote 0
I always wipe cache and dalvik. I have read that nothing is required when flashing a kernel, but it does no harm and only takes a minute of extra time. Now make sure that if you are coming from a ramdisk modified kernel like faux's, clear setcpu's data from the settings-->apps menu, boot into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik if you like, then flash the reset kernel, then the new kernel, back to back, no wipe needed!

Good to know this works. I've seen some say to flash the reset kernel then let your phone boot up. Much quicker to flash back to back as long as it works. Gracias mi hermano!

update on #15. So far soooooo good :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones