• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon lied about eris!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you said "for one day," but this statement is just plain stupid. I'd be willing to bet that when you joined, you had the same thoughts and posted many of the same things that the new members are doing today. Make a paid forum, get three of your closest eris buddies together and keep everyone out if you don't want to hear the ramblings on a PUBLIC forum.

There, first post out of the way and waiting for the "banned" hammer.

I wish...you knew how to read...and comprehend what I said.

Upvote 0
Are you serious? You really feel that it is worthy of anyone's time to actually make a class action lawsuit over a phone not getting a firmware update? Making a lawsuit about a company marketing a phone that is new to their network as a new phone, even though it was released from another company at an earlier date?

Maybe I should make a class action lawsuit every time I've been promised something that hasn't come through.

Grow the hell up please.

Listen Zippy:

If you read (and comprehend) what I wrote I said "playing devils advocate here" it's a commonly used phrase to indicate a "what if" situation.

I also said "if someone is so inclined" you know, someone with plenty of time on their hands, I don't mean someone with time on their hands to forum troll but maybe someone going to law school who wants a little exercise.

All your fretting about scoring that big bag of virtual WoW gold i think has blurred your perception of "what if" and "is real"

p.s if any grammar police show up I'll be in a 12 step meeting with "The Society Of Those That Roll Their Eyes Skyward Over Uptight Word Police" and "Those That Let Out An "Urgh" Over Inane Foolishness"

Upvote 0
Listen Zippy:

If you read (and comprehend) what I wrote I said "playing devils advocate here" it's a commonly used phrase to indicate a "what if" situation.

I also said "if someone is so inclined" you know, someone with plenty of time on their hands, I don't mean someone with time on their hands to forum troll but maybe someone going to law school who wants a little exercise.

All your fretting about scoring that big bag of virtual WoW gold i think has blurred your perception of "what if" and "is real"

p.s if any grammar police show up I'll be in a 12 step meeting with "The Society Of Those That Roll Their Eyes Skyward Over Uptight Word Police" and "Those That Let Out An "Urgh" Over Inane Foolishness"

Just because you throw out "just playing devils advocate here" before making a statement doesn't absolve you from still sounding like fool.

Upvote 0
Just because you throw out "just playing devils advocate here" before making a statement doesn't absolve you from still sounding like fool.

i can see your lips moving but all i hear is whaaa whaaa whaaa i want cake

The speculation and misinformation in this thread is just unbelievable. :rolleyes:

no it isnt. its exactly what one could expect from a thread like this. its also very amusing to those of us who's workday just isnt going anywhere.

Upvote 0
I cannot believe the rampant idiocy on this board. I mean, I know it's mostly a bunch of teenagers whining about their binkie (oops, I mean cell phone) - but COME ON.

Seriously, we just got a new build, dated 4/15. What does that tell you budding geniuses? Perhaps that VZW is STILL TESTING it due to the numerous bugs that WE ALSO FOUND when running the leaks? Hmmmm?? Do you seriously think VZW has nothing better to do with their time than spend 2 months testing software that they have no intention of releasing? For real? They have to make this right, because if they F00k it up, and push an update that wipes everyone's phones, they are going to have a massive PR issues and likely lawsuites. (;) ) Everyone keeps ranting about OTA, and most likely, this will be a PC download and update. They can push the update OTA. What they can't do is backup anything since it all goes thru the Google cloud and not VZW.

There will be a wipe. No way around it. Did you upgrade from XP to Win7? Guess what, it was a total wipe. Verizon may be waiting to put the finishing touches on some kind of proprietary backup/restore solution, but I doubt it. Coming from 10 years of blackberry ownership, I can tell you that where Android is sort of screwing themselves is by having zero desktop integration. With BB Desktop, you can back everything up to the PC/Mac, install whatever OS version that suits you, then selectively restore apps and/or data back to the phone. Android is not fully developed enough to incorporate that feature yet. I'm sure in time they'll come up with something, but short of backup to the Google Cloud (and that's limited to authorized apps, contacts, and email right now) we don't have that option.

Here's why upgrades like this are a double-edged sword:

Verizon promises update by end of Q1. Then they run into some issues (laggy dialer, FB sync issues, etc...) and have to send multiple bug reports to HTC so they can address then and send an updated build. In the meantime, Q1 has ended and they have upset customers who don't have their upgrade. So what do they do?

Scenario #1. Release a buggy update that they know isn't right just to "save face" and appease the geek horde that is clamoring for updates. Update gets released, and geeks everywhere are appalled at the number of bugs and overall Blah-ness of the update. "This is what we were waiting for?" PR nightmare, forums blow up and VZW gets overrun with folks wanting to know why the phone doesn't work right anymore.

Scenario #2. VZW does NOT release the update, instead they are committed to releasing a correctly functioning version, even though that takes time. Geek hordes run around screaming they "been lied to!" and bash VZW for not sticking to their promise.

Scenario #3. No updates at all.

So what's your poison? I don't hear all this internet hollering when Microsoft delays an OS to finish testing. Remember Vista? That's what happens when software gets pushed out the door for marketing/release date purposes, instead of when the software is ready for prime time. Windows 7 release got pushed back at least twice, and we ended up with a solid OS for a change. :cool:

Nobody got LIED to, a software release date got pushed back a month or so due to extended testing TO MAKE SURE WE GET A SOLID BUILD. It happens all the time, and sadly, this particular phone seems to have attracted a bunch of whiny-a$$ pouting teens that are pissed coz they don't have a shiny new toy to play with. Grow up, chill out, and we WILL get 2.1 officially. If you have to have it THAT bad - the v3 leak is either the release code or one minor revision away from it. We HAVE 2.1 guys, and it works. For the love of all that is holy, either install the leak, root and install the leak, or SHUT THE F&*% UP, please? Official 2.1 will be here when VZW determines its ready for prime-time. Not a moment sooner. They are still testing it and that should give us all hope that it will indeed be released.

I went thru all of this on my BB Tour, which shipped with BBOS 4.7 and I ran about 6 different beta 5.0 versions all thru the testing process. Eventually, VZW settled on a build they could support and released it. It was probably 6-7 MONTHS after I had started running the beta versions. This stuff takes time and VZW cannot expose themselves to the liability of wiping a million phones and having a buggy OS as the result. Why is it so hard to see that people?

Amen, hallelujah and way to go!
I have started a similar post (and deleted it) at least 5 or 6 times so thank you for reading my mind!! ;)

Upvote 0
thefonz.jpg
thefonz.jpg
thefonz.jpg

This thread has...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones