• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon meddling with 4G network?

dhworph

Android Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2011
So I've had the LTE Galaxy Nexus for just over 2 months, first 4G phone, first android, first worthy smartphone. Rooted, stock OS 4.0.2.

I do speedtests every few days, and I normally get 18Mbps down and 8Mbps up with a ping of 60ms, on average... 4 bars at work, and 2 bars at home.

However, recently I've been getting 3 bars at home much more consistently, but it didn't really improve my speed much. But the signal seemed a bit more consistent.

Over the past couple of days though, my speeds have taken a nosedive. Still testing pretty fast at work with 4 bars, except with an upstream speed is a bit slower and a ping of 80ms (vs 55-60 ms before). But my speed at home has been hit harder, about half what it normally is: down 8Mbps, up 1Mbps, ping 110ms... vs down 16Mbps, up 8Mbps, ping 60ms before :eek:

I've confirmed this by realworld usage too, which on average seems about half what it was before...

Anyone else notice changes recently, or ever had this happen to the 4G in their area, or hear of it happening anywhere? Weird they would give me more bars but at lower speeds....

I figure it could be big red messing with their settings. My overall speeds are slower, but they seem a little more consistent... personally I'd rather have inconsistent lightning fast!

It's easy to see the real world difference if you test it on a tethered connection, that way its easier to see the actual transfer speeds. It's a good contrast to mobile speedtests. I am tethered quite often (I pay VZW for it).

The point is:
(1) 4G upload and ping are comparable to that for 3G on a 3 bar signal, and
(2) 4G download is about 5x faster than 3G, whereas it was 10x faster before on 3 bars. It's easy to understand why a customer would be unhappy about that, regardless of whether the speeds are still sufficient...

however 4G 4 bars mostly only has a slower ping now...

Upvote 0
update: its been a week since I first noticed the issue. I called vzw yesterday and made a "resolution ticket". Today the ping seems back to the historical normal, the 4G speeds are better, but still noticeably slower than before, especially the upload speed is still about 50-90% lower than it has historically been.

Also the speed at home seems highly correlated to the number of bars shown, whereas before, whether it was 2 or 3 bars, the speed changed little.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones