1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!

Verizon Morotoral Droid changer service provider..Possible?

1. andro1d5

andro1d5 Well-Known Member

Is it possible that if you have a rooted phone, you can change service providers? I want to go with boostmobile, my phone is Verizon Motorola Droid.

Advertisement
  2. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I've heard of people using a Droid on Boost, but I don't know how they did it. Might be best to Google that while you wait from a reply here. Also might want to do a search in the regular Droid forum, I'm pretty sure I've seen it come up there in the past.
  3. andro1d5

andro1d5 Well-Known Member

I will continue to search
    My bro went to a boost mobile store and told him he couldn't use it with them because it was locked. So I rooted the phone (motorola droid). Boost mobile does support CDMA and when I go to the phone settings it says the network type is also CDMA.
  4. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

If you can get it activated (I think this is unlikely) you would need a PRL to use that would give priority to Sprint SIDs, or use only Sprint SIDs, since Boost is Sprint. There may be other aspects that would be more difficult to get working - like 3G. On my previous phone with Sprint, I modded it to use a customized Verizon PRL and activated it on Page Plus (a Verizon MVNO), but it would still only work with 1x.

Your best bet is probably to ask in a forum dedicated to the carrier you want to switch to.
  5. ultradroid

ultradroid So many android phones... VIP Member

Back a few years ago, I had a Sprint Motorola Razr, moved to Verizon and brought it with me. That phone (which I had a professional switch over to Verizon's brand of CDMA) lasted me for probably five years. I finally moved from that to the Droid 1, but it worked up to the day of the switch to Android.

I realize that I'm talking older, non-3G service here, but I was trying to show that there is usually a way to pull off these kind of moves, as long as (in the case of the Droid), you're willing to accept a lesser kind of OTA service, because I don't think that Sprint and Verizon use the same frequencies for their 3G and 4G services.

-Mike
  6. sherry maddux

sherry maddux New Member

i need to change my phone from virgin mobile pre paid to verison pre paid i cant get a signal with virgin mobile at my home how can i switch the service providers