• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Nexus to Boost/Sprint

Assuming Boost runs over Sprint's network, I'd say no. Mostly.

You MIGHT be able to use it somewhat on 3G.

The Verizon Nexus runs on CDMA 850 and 1900 mhz. The Sprint network CDMA is on 800 and 1900 mhz. So I guess you may get some connectivity on the 1900 band.

LTE, though is a NO. Verizon's Nexus runs LTE on 750 Mhz and Sprint's is 1900 mhz.

That's just hardware compatibility, I don't know if it would work at all as-is. I also doubt you could flash the Sprint firmware on the Verizon Nexus... and even if you did manage to, it might only connect via the 1900 band. And who knows what the deal is with the SIM cards....

My advice would be to sell the VZW version and buy the Sprint version (assuming you can get that to work via Boost - you'd have to research that as I don't have any idea)

Upvote 0
Assuming Boost runs over Sprint's network, I'd say no. Mostly.

You MIGHT be able to use it somewhat on 3G.

The Verizon Nexus runs on CDMA 850 and 1900 mhz. The Sprint network CDMA is on 800 and 1900 mhz. So I guess you may get some connectivity on the 1900 band.

LTE, though is a NO. Verizon's Nexus runs LTE on 750 Mhz and Sprint's is 1900 mhz.

That's just hardware compatibility, I don't know if it would work at all as-is. I also doubt you could flash the Sprint firmware on the Verizon Nexus... and even if you did manage to, it might only connect via the 1900 band. And who knows what the deal is with the SIM cards....

My advice would be to sell the VZW version and buy the Sprint version (assuming you can get that to work via Boost - you'd have to research that as I don't have any idea)

I already assumed that the 4g wouldn't work. I just wasn't sure about the rest of the firmware/hardware/software possibilities. I do know a friend who managed to flash his Sprint Nexus to Boost. But I didn't know if it could be done with a Verizon Nexus. Thanks. Guess it's time to start digging.

Upvote 0
If you are going to try this, make sure you get your phone unlocked by your carrier before attempting. It is illegal now, in the US, to unlock your smartphone so that it isn't carrier restricted without the carrier's permission.

Also, from what I know of the process, there are questions about the legality of switching your phone to Boost. Typically it requires buying a Boost phone and copying the ESID from that phone to your old phone, so that it will work on the Boost network. There are laws against doing this, the only issue is some claim it is not technically illegal as there is no malicious intent, that it is only illegal if the ESID on the old phone is flagged as being stolen (or other similar issue). Of course, if you combine with the new ruling that it is illegal to unlock phones without the carriers permission, I think that gives added ammunition that changing the ESID is illegal.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Read the court ruling. Not illegal to unlock phone if 1) Carrier no longer supports device ( Verizon just anounced EOL ( End of Life) for their Nexus phone) or 2) Service contract has expired. Therfore, Should one have an old, unsupported, no longer retailed, phone and released from the service contract, they can do whatever they wish with their device.
Verizon, reportedly, has no enforcement plans or concerns at this time.

Upvote 0
If you are going to try this, make sure you get your phone unlocked by your carrier before attempting. It is illegal now, in the US, to unlock your smartphone so that it isn't carrier restricted without the carrier's permission.

Also, from what I know of the process, there are questions about the legality of switching your phone to Boost. Typically it requires buying a Boost phone and copying the ESID from that phone to your old phone, so that it will work on the Boost network. There are laws against doing this, the only issue is some claim it is not technically illegal as there is no malicious intent, that it is only illegal if the ESID on the old phone is flagged as being stolen (or other similar issue). Of course, if you combine with the new ruling that it is illegal to unlock phones without the carriers permission, I think that gives added ammunition that changing the ESID is illegal.
Changing ESN (or ESID) has always been illegal and that predtes the DMCA and interpretation of such. While some may question the validity of the law, it doesn't change the law itself.

Read the court ruling. Not illegal to unlock phone if 1) Carrier no longer supports device ( Verizon just anounced EOL ( End of Life) for their Nexus phone) or 2) Service contract has expired. Therfore, Should one have an old, unsupported, no longer retailed, phone and released from the service contract, they can do whatever they wish with their device.
Verizon, reportedly, has no enforcement plans or concerns at this time.
LOL. EOL has absolutely nothing to do with not supporting said device. EOL just indicates that you can't buy a new one after a particular date. So proceed with caution.

FWIW, I doubt the FBI will be kicking in your door over something so trivial, but don't fool yourself into thinking everything is completely legal. But then again, it's also illegal for an unmarried man and woman to live together in Virginia and Florida too, and how often is that enforced.

Reactions: The~Skater~187
Upvote 0
So to clarify things, the phone is not currently activated, I own a phone that I plan to use as a donor phone (which is a 3g boost smartphone), so am I ok to do this or will I get in trouble?
Because I've spent enough time behind bars and don't want to get sent back.
This forum is far from a legal advice forum and it's against the TOS to engage in talk about HOW to perform any illegal activities here, within reason.

But in this case, I honestly don't know the legality, and exactly what you are trying to do. So use common sense. If you are using a software program that changes ESNs, my knowledge is that is illegal. What the penalties are for such I don't know.

I myself break the law everyday by speeding, most of the time unconsciously by keeping up with the traffic. Illegal, yes...but with minor penalties if caught. As I said in another thread, it's technically illegal to live with an unmarried partner in VA (class III misdemeanor). So only you can make the decision that's right for you.

Upvote 0
This forum is far from a legal advice forum and it's against the TOS to engage in talk about HOW to perform any illegal activities here, within reason.

But in this case, I honestly don't know the legality, and exactly what you are trying to do. So use common sense. If you are using a software program that changes ESNs, my knowledge is that is illegal. What the penalties are for such I don't know.

I myself break the law everyday by speeding, most of the time unconsciously by keeping up with the traffic. Illegal, yes...but with minor penalties if caught. As I said in another thread, it's technically illegal to live with an unmarried partner in VA (class III misdemeanor). So only you can make the decision that's right for you.

I want looking for legal advice, lol. I was just a bit confused about it. I just don't want to violate any laws or TOS either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones