1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

VERIZON Note 3 rooted! Knox 0x0!

1. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Thanks for the tip, Tempco!

Root de la Vega [SM-N900V KNOX 0x0] - xda-developers

:D

EDIT:

I'm downloading the root file, but do I really want to root it? You bet I do.

Reasons to root:

I will only lose 3 days' information at worst, if backing up to the PC fails. So I lose a few scrapbook entries and a note. I can live with that.

I can install Titanium Backup and freeze the bloatware, freeing up RAM.

I can install Root Explorer again, my file manager of choice.

Reasons to NOT root:

Voids warranty and this thing's only 3 days old. But it doesn't SEEM broken... and I can always use SuperSU to unroot.

I have to set up the phone, homescreens and install apps all over again. Sucks to be me.

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.... ;)

Advertisement
    :
  2. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on how the rooting process goes for you...for those of us who have not received ours yet...we can't play :D
  3. The_Chief

Will do, it's going to be tomorrow afternoon before I root, that's when I will have time to set it up again :)
  4. rawhide85

rawhide85 Well-Known Member

Good luck Chief. I'm sure with designgears & chainfire's method you should be good to go!
    ocnbrze likes this.
  5. The_Chief

This will be very helpful for a LOT of people, including ME:

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Rooting instructions - YouTube

This video will take you step-by-step through the rooting process. It's so easy, even I should be able to do this!

BEWARE! Rootjunkie in this video mentions Exposed Installer and Wanam Xposed as a method of eliminating the "custom" mark and padlock icon from the boot screen. There are reports in XDA of this app soft-bricking the Note 3! And since I don't know of a way to recover from the soft-brick (yet), I advise against using it.

No doubt another, safer exploit will be identified to cover your root-ness in very short order. If you don't mind VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY, you can use this root method. But there's really no way (yet) to revert back to OFFICIAL stock. This is a one-way trip right now, folks.
  6. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I feel at home. The root forum. Okay, here we go. Why would I root if we can't restore yet? Or... do I use superSU to unroot and do Factory/Data reset? What about bricking? Is there any restore?

I don't even know how to use the phone yet and I wanna root. Weird, huh?
  7. stauren1203

stauren1203 Well-Known Member

I want the trip back to become available. I rooted and I wanna unroot. I'm scared.
  8. The_Chief

NO reason to be scared, Stauren. Root is a phenomenal tool! You can freeze bloatware with Titanium Backup, you can make app and app data backups, you can do SO MUCH!

I love root, and plan to do so as soon as I have time to set the phone back up.

:)
  9. stauren1203

stauren1203 Well-Known Member

I'm not new to rooting. I just meant I don't like not being able to go back. Also, titanium was being quite buggy. Chief, do you have a list of "safe" bloatware apps to freeze? I'd appreciate that.
  10. The_Chief

I don't. I'm as new to this device as anyone else, but I imagine that carrier bloat could be frozen. I would be hesitant about freezing Samsung bloat until another human guinea pig verifies safe/unsafe.
  11. darkcyber

I'm going to hold off rooting at least for a few weeks and play it my Note 3 first...let the dust settle so to speak :) I just switched from my Nexus to the Note 3 this afternoon and already missing my root apps :(
  12. pbrstanwood

pbrstanwood Well-Known Member

thanks for the info. I will look forward to rooting in feature
  13. MrClean

MrClean Well-Known Member

SuperSU has a option under 'Settings -> Cleanup' for a 'Full unroot'. And on XDA they confirmed that the 'soft brick' was an isolated event. The way back to stock is now available too, so I say root people, you will not be disappointed.
    SirKronan and The_Chief like this.
  14. recDNA

recDNA Well-Known Member

I don't want to download anything yet let alone root but does anyone have a link to the original thread (I assume in xda?) So I can read about the experiences of multiple users? I would love to root and have watched the video but I won't feel comfortable until I've read about all the mistakes, soft bricks, and cures for them.
    I don't know if the link in the op is to download the tool or just go to the thread.
  15. The_Chief

Here's the original thread on rooting:

Root de la Vega [SM-N900V KNOX 0x0] - xda-developers

And here is how to Odin back to stock:

[GUIDE] VZW Note III Edition[Return to Stock or recover from a Soft Brick] - xda-developers

:)

EDIT: Well, now that there's an unroot/return to stock method, there's absolutely no excuse why I'm sitting here NOT rooted - so today is the day! Getting my files organized and stuff backed up off the phone now. Will let you know how it goes, although I expect it will go quickly and smoothly.
    recDNA, darkcyber and MrClean like this.
  16. darkcyber

I haven't been following the root thread closely. Has the Knox counter error thing been addressed? i.e. is there still a danger of tripping that in the current rooting method?
  17. recDNA

recDNA Well-Known Member

I've been watching for cures for soft bricks and haven't seen any. That's what is slowing me down.
  18. The_Chief

ROOTED!​

:D

That was a nerve-wracking 10 minutes but it's DONE! The video was great: just follow that and it's hard to go wrong. Time to start setting up my rooted Note 3, Baby!
  19. rawhide85

rawhide85 Well-Known Member

Job well done. Let us know how you fare with any customizations.
  20. The_Chief

Will do. I am just wanting to pretty much set it up like it was. But if anyone can find the trick to getting that stupid drip sound off the dialpad, let me know! :p
  21. nyteravyn

nyteravyn New Member

Thechief,
    Jab you verified whether the Knox counter was tripped or not?
  22. darkcyber

Yeah Chief,

Did you make it past the Knox counter or did it trip?
  23. jetguat

jetguat Well-Known Member

Here here. Inquiring minds want to know. And moreso, if unrooted back to stock, would that trip it (that the important one right? since we'd want to cover our tracks)
    darkcyber likes this.
  24. jetguat

jetguat Well-Known Member

I want to root, to freeze bloatware. But how said is it that I want root so I can restore my saved "Subway Surfers" Put lots of time into that and the SOBs make it impossible to save and transfer data. I found some exploits, but with them you cannot get the updates from Play. grr I just want the SS updates..and all my coins/keys. is that to much to ask
  25. darkcyber

Well, still no word from Chief on the Knox thingy...report back please...the rest of us are hanging here waiting :)