[Verizon] Odin fail after root attempt

Last Updated: 2013-02-11 19:54:00
  1. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Well-Known Member

Alright, so I think I bricked my phone. Hate to hijack this thread, but I need help!

I followed the steps from the XDA forum, but after I put in the tar file to PDN and click start it fails. It doesn't fail right away, but when it gets to trying to write, it fails. I have tried two tar files and both fail. Now I am stuck in Odin Mode where it states, "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recover mode in Kies & try again." Help!

I am on Verizon S3 with 4.1.1

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Hey Johnny T!
    I moved your post and made a new thread for you here.:)

What guide were you following?
  3. JohnnyT

I was following the guide on XDA:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046439

I have made it a couple of steps further now. Flashed the first VRALEC Bootchain. Then flashed the Clockwork Mod Recovery. When I go to select the SuperSU_Bootloader_FIXED.zip file it says:
    set_perm: some changes failed
    E:Error in /external_sd/SuperSU_Bootloader_FIXED.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.
  4. Mikestony

That SuperSu file should be on your sd card and flashed from within recovery.
    Is that where you are getting the error?
  5. JohnnyT

It is on my External SD Card and I am trying to flash it from CWM v6.0.2.3. Yes, that is where I am getting the error.
  6. Mikestony

hmmmm.....Either put it on your internal sd and try it, or try a fresh download of that file
  7. JohnnyT

Not sure how I can do that. Do I just scrap the flash for now by staying in CWM and selecting "Reboot the phone"?

Because that is what I am doing. It is now rebooting and just says, "Samsung GALAXY S III" on the screen. Hopefully, it goes past this screen, but I'm not very optimistic. It's been stuck here for a 2 or 3 minutes.
  8. Mikestony

Well, if it doesn't reboot, pull the battery. Put the battery back in. Boot into recovery (home/volume up/power).
    Then in recovery, there should be an option to mount the phone's sd card so you can transfer files from the computer to the phone. Not sure and I can't check my phone at the moment (I loaned it to a coworker for a service call). So I'm not exactly sure what option that is.
  9. JohnnyT

I click on Mount SD Card on the phone, but I can't see the drive show up on my computer/windows explorer.
  10. Mikestony

Sorry for the late reply..I'm at work:(
    o.k...well, is kies disabled? Don't know if that is the issue. The other option is if you have a card reader, you can shutoff the phone , pull the sd card, and download that SU file to your computer and transfer it to your external sd card as a fresh download and try to flash it in recovery.
  11. JohnnyT

I don't have Kies.

I do have a card reader and I did pull the external SD card and downloaded the file to the external card. The issue now is that I can't even get back into CWM. I hold volume up, home, and power, the phone then vibrates and I see booting into recovery. Then I let go of all the buttons and it goes to "Samsung Galaxy S III", then stops. This is frustrating the hell out of me. I tried getting to recovery numerous times now with no luck. Not sure how long to hold the buttons, but I see the counter in the beginning of going into Odin at 3, so that means I started over and flashed the VRALEC Bootchain.tar file 3 times, then the CWM tar 3 times. ACK!!!!!!
  12. Mikestony

I am sorry about the issues you are having :(
    So where are you at now? You have gotten as far as installing the recovery via Odin?
  13. JohnnyT

No. I'm still at the same point. Trying to get to CWM. But I am confused as to what the exact steps are once you flash the CWM tar file. I hit start and Odin goes through the process, then gets to the "Reset" message on the screen. Is that when I pull the USB out of the phone and pull the battery? Because I have also tried just leaving it plugged in and after about 2 minutes, it gets to the "Passed" message. Either way, I unplug the USB, then pull the battery, then put it back in and hold Vol Up, Home, then Power. It will NOT allow me to get to the CWM menu!!!!
  14. Mikestony

If you have an issue getting into recovery, (with home/volume up/power) let go of power only (after the screen shows samsung) while continuing to hold the volume up and home buttons until recovery comes up.
    scary alien likes this.
  15. JohnnyT

That worked! You are awesome! Now, how do I get the file from the external SD Card to the Internal SD Card?
  16. Mikestony

Again, sorry for the late reply:(
    Is the download a fresh download? You could try to flash it from where its at now--the external sd card.
    I'm not sure how to move it from external to internal without plugging it into the computer or booting into the rom.
  17. JohnnyT

The download is a fresh download and I have tried to flash it from the external SD Card. But I keep running into that error that I described above.
  18. Mikestony

Let me do some more checking around and see if I can come up with any ideas about this o.k.?
  19. JohnnyT

Ok, thanks! I really appreciate it. So far...phone = bricked.
  20. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Mikestony likes this.
  21. Mikestony

22. Mikestony

@Johnny--Got some advice from a fellow guide friend....try to flash TWRP for a recovery, then flash the SU/bootloader/fixed zip file from TWRP instead of CWM.
    It's worth a shot:)
  23. CDPlant

CDPlant Well-Known Member

Are you running Odin as administrator on your computer? Sometimes it can cause problems running it without that
  24. JohnnyT

Already tried flashing TWRP. Odin failed at that for some reason :-(

And yes, I am running Odin as Administrator. The first time I didn't, but I made to sure that I did each time afterwards.
  25. JohnnyT

Still at the same point. Boot into CWM, choose zip from sd card, choose zip from external sd card, choose SuperSU_Bootloader_FIXED.zip, Yes - Install SuperSU_Bootloader_FIXED.zip, then get the following message:
    set_perm: some changes failed
    E:Error in /external_sd/SuperSU_Bootloader_FIXED.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

Can't stand this!!!!