• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon plan and fees questions

I don't know if there has been an answered or not but I think it is a good question.

I too purchased it through motorola without a contract ($100 off coupon).

I purchased the 3g/4g one for two big reasons:

1. If I ever decide to not just use it as wifi/tether with my evo, I have the flexibility to do so.

2. If I even decide to resell it, I believe the more options the better...wider range of people to sell to.

That being said, I would also be curious if I did need to activate it for a brief period of time how much I would have to pay to turn the service on/off....

Upvote 0
Well now that the Zoom is out and available I have a few questions about Verizon's data that I just can't get to the bottom of. I just ordered a Xoom off the moto site.

I'm guessing I will be able to use this out of the box without having to activate it through Verizon at all. Let me know if I'm wrong on that one.

Can I turn the data service on for a month at a time? Say I know i'm going to be traveling for work, can i subscribe for a month then shut it off when i get back home? Would I have to pay the 35 dollar activation fee everytime? How long can I suspend for?

My apologies if this has been covered already. Searched for the forms with no answers.

I ask a Verizon Rep and she said yes $35 every time you decide to add data on and off.

Upvote 0
So I'm confused. I can buy a 600$ Xoom with a two year contract and get unlimited data for those two years or a 800$ Xoom with no contract? What does that mean? Am I still paying for data month to month with each one? What benefit do I get buying the one without a contract if I am still paying the fees? What are the price of the monthly fees? Also, does an unlocked Xoom have the same problem? Because I see those selling for 500$ at some places? Thanks fr any help.

Upvote 0
So I'm confused. I can buy a 600$ Xoom with a two year contract and get unlimited data for those two years or a 800$ Xoom with no contract? What does that mean? Am I still paying for data month to month with each one? What benefit do I get buying the one without a contract if I am still paying the fees? What are the price of the monthly fees? Also, does an unlocked Xoom have the same problem? Because I see those selling for 500$ at some places? Thanks fr any help.

No unlimited plan. And the 600 won't be month to month, you'll be on contract 2 years. The 800 with no contract means just that. You won't need to sign up for any contract, even a month. Though you could at a later time.

The plans are 1G, 3G, 5G and not sure if any more, ranging from 20 a month to a 80 a month.

Upvote 0
Just to let people know a little about Verizon Wireless's way of handling these is that anybody you talk to on the phone can issue up to $50 credit without it being overseen (aka get approval), so if you talk nice they will most certainly give you the credit because they get paid on resolution and time on phone (less is better).

Upvote 0
Just canceled my data plan today. Got my bill :eek: $325?!?! I normally pay $190. Add in a data plan for 7 days at the end of my billing cycle + $20 for next month, + taxes and fees + activation fees + bluetooth keyboard + .20 for a text (although I'm not sure how that's possible since I cant get SMS on the Xoom) and WOW! Oh well, tethering via Incredible here I come. :eek: I should have canceled as I walked out the door of Best Buy. Live and learn.:cool:

Upvote 0
I walked into a VZW store with the intention of getting the Xoom with a 2 year contract for $600 bucks. I signed everything I had to and I just got my bill. Looking closer, it said I was on a month to month plan. I called up verizon to verify and they told me that I was indeed on a month to month and I can cancel anytime with no penalties.

So I'm not in a 2 year contract after all and I paid $600. I know Verizon doesn't require this anymore but I purchased mine the day before it came out. I also looked at the original paperwork that I signed and even that said I was on a month to month plan (not a 2 year contract). I had to give my head a shake lol. Great news for sure.

Upvote 0
if you are serious,

month to month means you are not tied to a contract and thus are not required to maintain a service with the company for any period of time.

This, and the month to month fee was for the 3g service that I wanted. At present, I'm not forced into continuing this service but I just choose to. The Xoom is fully functional with Wifi as it is.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I walked into a VZW store with the intention of getting the Xoom with a 2 year contract for $600 bucks. I signed everything I had to and I just got my bill. Looking closer, it said I was on a month to month plan. I called up verizon to verify and they told me that I was indeed on a month to month and I can cancel anytime with no penalties.

So I'm not in a 2 year contract after all and I paid $600. I know Verizon doesn't require this anymore but I purchased mine the day before it came out. I also looked at the original paperwork that I signed and even that said I was on a month to month plan (not a 2 year contract). I had to give my head a shake lol. Great news for sure.

I wish I could guarantee that. I'd be at Verizon in the morning grabbing a Xoom and gladly handing over my Visa

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones