• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] [Radios] Request for GS4 owners coming from a GNex

jkc120

Android Expert
Apr 12, 2010
El Dorado Hills, CA
Hi,

I'd like to request someone with a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon do a side by side (well, you'll have to pop the sim card out, but "side-by-side" meaning readings in the same spot) comparison of the radio signal levels with this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5jYy5zaWduYWxpbmZvIl0.

It's a great way to see the real signal info, including SNR, etc. I'm VERY leery of a Samsung device after the Galaxy Nexus' terrible radio, and I'm hoping the S4 is better. But I'm hoping to see some proof it's better before I consider buying one (especially since I'll be buying full retail to keep unlimited data).

So for you GNex owners out there who are getting an S4 - would you be so kind as to post a screen shot of that app on both phones in the same spots? Preferably in a weaker signal area (but still on 4G or somewhere the GNex flips between 3G and 4G) and a stronger signal area?

Thanks in advance!

I have not directly compared GS3 to Gnex but most GS3 I saw are working similarly to my RHD radio wise. I moved from Gnex to Razr HD on verizon late last year. From what I see, RHD is about 6~11dbm better than Gnex most of time. So yeah it's a bit better, but I was not blown away by that as I expected from legendary Motorola reputation on radio. But big difference with RHD is it holds onto signal without interruption when going in and out of weak signal area. And switching between 3G, LTE is almost instant and seamingless.

The cell radio on CDMA Gnex was just POS even by Samsung standard. The main signal issue with CDMA Gnex is from Samsung's own separate LTE and CDMA modem in my opinion. This setup is not good for seamless switch between 3G and LTE and prone to data drops. But phones from GS3 and on are using Qualcomm's multi-mode one chip modem, so radio switching is smooth and seamingless. I don't see any reason why GS4 wouldn't continue on this trend if not better than GS3 significantly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones