Verizon recommends a task killer.Support

Last Updated:

1. usb

usb Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 2, 2010
    Verizon recommends a task killer for my Droid X issues. But I hear task killers are "bad". Any advice?

2. bostoniansurvivor

bostoniansurvivor Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010

I honestly think task killers boil down more to preference than anything. Verizon encourages them so that they have something to say when people complain about battery life and they don't know the real answer.
  3. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Realistically, you can't ask Verizon questions and expect "right" answers.

It's kind of like asking a car dealer how the internal components of the V8 engine work.

They just deal em, they don't make/service them past a certain extent.

Now, this is just in MY OWN personal experience:

I used to use them, But I found myself checking it all the time to make sure it was killing tasks, working properly, etc. Secondly, when i decided to stop using them (thanks to this article: FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android), I was pleasantly surprised how much more stable, smoother and longer my phone was running.

When you kill processes, sure it makes things faster for a second or two, but those processes are re-started the next time you want them and that takes more battery power/memory than just leaving them running. Plus, Android actively kills tasks on it's own when it needs memory or a task has been inactive for a while.

So, IMO, no, you don't need them.
  4. escalade6103

escalade6103 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I have read all the threads bout task killers and kinda use something from all of them. I select the things I don't ever want to stop but I don't choose to have it kill things in the background on its own. I found it used more battery when I had it doing it on its own. The things it killed just started right back up. So now I have a few protected apps and when I get done doin something I use it to kinda refresh things and make sure some things are closed. I don't see any battery deterioration from this.