Verizon Replacement came with HBOOT 1.49General

Last Updated:

1. Gnomesarealive

Gnomesarealive Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had a legitimate problem with my Eris that I sent it back for, but was still hoping to be able to root again when I got my replacement. Turns out it has HBOOT 1.49. Any one else encounter this?

Advertisement
  2. xAusTiN

xAusTiN Well-Known Member

Yes there has been a thread on this before. Wonder how Verizon is supposed to do the next update with two different HBOOT numbers on phones.

3. Gnomesarealive

Yeah, I don't understand why. Seems to me like they installed the v3 leak onto the replacement phones. I'm not too happy.

4. DroidJW

DroidJW Well-Known Member

5. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

you guys are gettin leakers phones that they sent back. thats my theory.

6. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Supplies!

7. greyhndz

greyhndz Well-Known Member

Got my replacement today with 2.1 already installed. How can I check the HBOOT?

8. surgeon0214

surgeon0214 Well-Known Member

First power down. Then hold VOLUME DOWN and Power and a screen with skateboarding droids should come up with text, it will be on that page. Then just battery pull and reboot.

9. senfoo

senfoo Member

ROFL. this is too funny.

10. greyhndz

Thanks, surgeon. I've got 1.49. So this was a legitimate 2.1 update as opposed to a "leaky" 2.1?

11. Gnomesarealive

To me this seems like they flashed the v3 leak onto it. Users who manually updated to 2.1 still had their 1.47 hboot, allowing them to root. Hopefully a way will be found to root with the new hboot. My replacement doesn't have the problem I sent my first Eris back for though, so with that I can be happy at least.

12. DroidJW

It could be either a returned 2.1v3 leak OR it means Verizon is flashing replacements with the same ROM as the v3 leak (hence both having HBOOT 1.49)

Either way you are fine its been shown here in other threads that the 2.1v3 leak and the OTA 2.1 update are the same (except for the HBOOT version, and thus the ability to root)

13. DroidJW

I believe this was because the manual update, like the OTA, did not wipe the phone, but rather updated the necessary files. The v3 leak was a full ROM image that resulted in a full wipe upon install.

Note the 2.1v3 ROM was over 100MB vs 77.7MB for the update file (smaller as it only included files that required updating and no new HBOOT)

14. gpa111

gpa111 Well-Known Member

Mine just came with 1.47.

15. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I'm legitimately concerned about this. Verizon is sending me a replacement because my current phone is nearly unusable due to the trackball scrolling left constantly. I really hope I get a phone with a 1.47 hboot. I really like having root.

16. greyhndz

This is an interesting topic. The phone I received has a date of 5/15 as the date of refurb (I assume). I also assume they would have done a factory reset prior to installing 2.1? If a phone has a leaked 2.1v3, would it be wiped by the factory reset? If so, wouldn't that make it more likely that phones coming out with after refurb would probably not have 2.1v3?

I know they're one and the same -- just curious.

17. Gnomesarealive

I think it is due to what DroidJW said. They are flashing the phones with the new ROM, causing the new hboot. They come with 2.1 now, so that it my theory as well.

18. dewalist

dewalist Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just got a brand-new Eris this week and was interested in rooting, only to find out that his hboot is indeed 1.49... :-( I really hope the devs can root that soon...

19. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

First, they can remove any "checks" that looks at versions of s/w. Two, the current update-script used by OTA does not check 'hboot'.

20. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

Then why didn't anyone with a leak (1.49 HBoot) get the OTA?

21. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Excellent point. You can't even say that the OTA and the leak were the same because V.1 and V.2 were not the same and no leakers with any version got the update.

22. SirEagle

The only thing said was leak v3 was the same as the OTA, except for the HBoot.

23. SirEagle

But all three leaks have HBoot 1.49.

24. MrChips

MrChips Active Member

That is probably because the OTA was for updating Android 1.5 to 2.1 not 2.1x to 2.1x. ...I mean, it makes complete sense right? I know the updates my company sends out are targeted to specific versions of our software and skipping of versions is not allowed.

25. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

The update script checked the OS version, not 'hboot'. It was looking for "1.5" only. This is a fact, not speculation.

Code (Text):
    1. assert compatible_with("0.2") == "true"
    2. assert file_contains("SYSTEM:build.prop",  "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/htc_desirec/desirec/desirec:1.5/CUPCAKE/104882:user/release-keys")  == "true" || file_contains("SYSTEM:build.prop",  "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/htc_desirec/desirec/desirec:2.1/ERD79/165907:user/release-keys")  == "true"
    3. assert getprop("ro.product.device") == "desirec" ||  getprop("ro.build.product") == "desirec"