• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Replacement came with HBOOT 1.49

The update script checked the OS version, not 'hboot'. It was looking for "1.5" only. This is a fact, not speculation.

Code:
assert compatible_with("0.2") == "true"
assert file_contains("SYSTEM:build.prop",  "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/htc_desirec/desirec/desirec:1.5/CUPCAKE/104882:user/release-keys")  == "true" || file_contains("SYSTEM:build.prop",  "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/htc_desirec/desirec/desirec:2.1/ERD79/165907:user/release-keys")  == "true"
assert getprop("ro.product.device") == "desirec" ||  getprop("ro.build.product") == "desirec"

Hadn't heard or seen that before. Unless I'm just getting old and forgetful.

Upvote 0
Then why didn't anyone with a leak (1.49 HBoot) get the OTA?

As shown above by hallstevenson, we know why v3 leakers didn't get OTA. What baffles me is why Verizon or HTC has posted the update versions on the web via pcdphones.com, but did not post the full update (with hboot 1.49) to that site.

One of their own put out an unsigned copy of an HTC update that allowed for 1.5 root, but why would they worry about the hboot being hacked? The Eris has yet to be hacked by devs own efforts up to this point.

Upvote 0
Seems new Eris buyers are also receiving units with 2.1 installed

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/90290-getting-my-eris-today.html

Would be interesting to know if these are 1.5 units that have had the 2.1 "update" applied (leaving the HBOOT at 1.46 or 1.47) or if they have been flashed with the full 2.1 ROM (and likely the 1.49 HBOOT).

Yeah when bought my eris it came with 1.5 then about 5 days later boom offical 2.1 update and I didn't even expect it. :D

Upvote 0
Root, wow what a concept. If I was only clever enough to know how, or what to do with it. I do notice a big difference in this Eris vs my last one. My last one had the 2.1v2 leak on it, this on has the OTA. This one is WAYYYYYY slower.

Root can give you (short/quick list): overclocking (make your phone be and feel snappier, more responsive), wi-fi tethering (phone becomes a wi-fi hotspot), custom ROMs with bloatware removed (gives you more memory for other apps), and more!

Read about how to do it here: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

This page has all kinds of threads that will educate you about what root is and can be: All Things Root (Eris) - Android Forums

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
got my wife's warranty replacement eris today...refurb date 4/22.....hboot..1.49.....SHES PISSED! she wanted her phone rooted in the worst way! now she's pissed that my moto droid has root and she's stock. hopefully someone figures out how to root these new "broken" ( can i say that since they can't be rooted?!?!?!!!!) eris'. :D

Bummer, dude! Don't leave your Moto Droid laying around unlocked -- she might swap phones with you...! :eek: :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones