• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [ROM][4.0.4] AOKP ICS B40/M6/Mods (7/8)

Alrighty then. I just with Scary Alien's help, updated to 4.0.4. Now I want to try a ROM.

Being an Android noob, I am looking for recommendations on a ROM that is stable with this update. I'm a lil nervous about turning this into a very expensive paper weight, but generally not afraid to poke around and push buttons on most things.

So, what do y'all suggest?

TIA

Upvote 0
Alrighty then. I just with Scary Alien's help, updated to 4.0.4. Now I want to try a ROM.

Being an Android noob, I am looking for recommendations on a ROM that is stable with this update. I'm a lil nervous about turning this into a very expensive paper weight, but generally not afraid to poke around and push buttons on most things.

So, what do y'all suggest?

TIA

Most ROMs are based off of 4.0.3 since that's the latest official source. If you flash any of the big names, AOKP, CodenameAndroid, APEX, etc., you will lose the 4.0.4. 4.0.4 is a ROM, it can't be maintained throughout flashing other ROMs unless the ROM is 4.0.4. The only 4.0.4 custom ROM I know of is Crossbreed and even that I'm not sure about you'd have to double check. So in short, you can't maintain 4.0.4 after flashing a 4.0.3 ROM. I do suggest flashing a 4.0.3 ROM though (AOKP lol) since 4.0.4 isn't even officially AOSP and stock has no customization whatsoever. But that last bit is just my two cents. AOKP rocks :D

Upvote 0
Well I pretty much explained it in the post right after yours but I'll just say again that I've seen it happen unthemed on not just this ROM but others. So could it be the theme? Yeah but not necessarily

So I've been doing some reading on xda, and apparently this network issue has been tied tot a few other themes.

Many people have corrected it by reflashing the ROM/Theme..So my Noob question is...

I have M4, Gapps, and PCB Theme.

Can I can I just wipe cache, davlik, and reflash M4?

Do I flash the Gapps again as well?

Upvote 0
So I've been doing some reading on xda, and apparently this network issue has been tied tot a few other themes.

Many people have corrected it by reflashing the ROM/Theme..So my Noob question is...

I have M4, Gapps, and PCB Theme.

Can I can I just wipe cache, davlik, and reflash M4?

Do I flash the Gapps again as well?

I'm fairly sure the AOKP flash wipes /system before flashing the ROM contents. Which means gapps would go bye bye. It can't *hurt* to flash 'em, so I'd just go ahead and flash them just in case. If you have flashed a custom kernel, you'll want to flash that again as well. Others have said to flash the kernel in a separate session of CWM, but I've had no issues flashing the kernel at the same time (after, obviously, the ROM itself), but YMMV.

In your case, to be safe I'd:

- wipe cache
- wipe dalvik
- flash M4
- flash gapps
- reboot to recovery again
- flash kernel (if you had a custom kernel)

And you should be good to go! :)

Reactions: jbdan and ymDroid
Upvote 0
So I....

Wiped Cahce
Wiped Davlik
Flashed M4
Flashed Gapps
Rebooted....

And my Network said Verizon Wireless again.

Rebooted into Recovery and reflashed PCB Swagger Theme and...

My network is back to T-CDMA 64.

So reflashing doesn't correct it.

SO....No one else with CDMA VZW Nexus that has flashed PCB experience this under about phone, status, showing T-CDMA 64?

Upvote 0
Most ROMs are based off of 4.0.3 since that's the latest official source. If you flash any of the big names, AOKP, CodenameAndroid, APEX, etc., you will lose the 4.0.4. 4.0.4 is a ROM, it can't be maintained throughout flashing other ROMs unless the ROM is 4.0.4. The only 4.0.4 custom ROM I know of is Crossbreed and even that I'm not sure about you'd have to double check. So in short, you can't maintain 4.0.4 after flashing a 4.0.3 ROM. I do suggest flashing a 4.0.3 ROM though (AOKP lol) since 4.0.4 isn't even officially AOSP and stock has no customization whatsoever. But that last bit is just my two cents. AOKP rocks :D

DUH, 4.0.4 is sitting in ROM isn't it. (facepalm) lol

Upvote 0

Or if you want to keep 4.0.4 and have AOKP as well, flash Axiom Crossbreed. Best of both worlds.

Upvote 0
Or if you want to keep 4.0.4 and have AOKP as well, flash Axiom Crossbreed. Best of both worlds.

What binaries is Axiom using in lieu of a real 4.0.4 source release? Just curious what 4.0.4 goodies are in there. Personally, I think I'll just wait for an AOKP based on the 4.0.4 (or whatever the next AOSP release is), but I guess if there some major bug fixes I'd consider Axiom.

Upvote 0
The leak that everything is based off was an OTA. It was a leaked OTA that's how they got it..lol

I know that! Wow, I'm really not explaining this well I guess...

AOKP M4 is:
AOSP 4.0.3 source + AOKP code changes => compiled

AOKP/Axiom is:
AOSP 4.0.3 source + AOKP code changes + (some parts replaced from Verizon 4.0.4 leaked OTA)

I want to know what "some parts" are. What did they take from 4.0.4 versus what did they leave untouched from vanilla AOSP 4.0.3 source + AOKP source.

Is that more clear what I'm trying to understand? Anyone?

Upvote 0
I know that! Wow, I'm really not explaining this well I guess...

AOKP M4 is:
AOSP 4.0.3 source + AOKP code changes => compiled

AOKP/Axiom is:
AOSP 4.0.3 source + AOKP code changes + (some parts replaced from Verizon 4.0.4 leaked OTA)

I want to know what "some parts" are. What did they take from 4.0.4 versus what did they leave untouched from vanilla AOSP 4.0.3 source + AOKP source.

Is that more clear what I'm trying to understand? Anyone?

Yes! Gotcha! Haha sorry I was confused. Well technically, AOKP has certain 4.0.4 binaries, but it's still 4.0.3. I think the difference is that Crossbreed's OS is actually 4.0.4. What I think he did, or from what I'm understanding anyways, is he used the leak as a source and sort of "ported" the AOKP mods to fit that leak.

Reactions: jkc120
Upvote 0
No. I didn't do a full wipe, just a "dirty" wipe.

Well...a dirty wipe hasn't worked for me, so I'm going to try a full wipe.

I know Titanium will reinstall my apps, bit does anyone know if there is an app that will back up my home pages?

I know Nova has a back up settings option, but that doesn't back up up the home pages, right?

Upvote 0
Well...a dirty wipe hasn't worked for me, so I'm going to try a full wipe.

I know Titanium will reinstall my apps, bit does anyone know if there is an app that will back up my home pages?

I know Nova has a back up settings option, but that doesn't back up up the home pages, right?

If you use Nova it will back up all of your Nova settings including your desktop layout. Your wallpaper, your icons, folders, all backed up. I don't know of a way to backup stock launcher other than backing it up with TiBu but I don't recommend that with a new ROM (system apps are a no no). But if you back up with Nova, yes your home screens will get backed up

Reactions: ymDroid
Upvote 0
If you use Nova it will back up all of your Nova settings including your desktop layout. Your wallpaper, your icons, folders, all backed up. I don't know of a way to backup stock launcher other than backing it up with TiBu but I don't recommend that with a new ROM (system apps are a no no). But if you back up with Nova, yes your home screens will get backed up

Sweet ....Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones