• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon S4 4.3 OTA is live. Build Number I545VRUEMJ7

I am guessing Razzle has an unlimited plan - which does not allow tethering. 3rd party apps did the behind the scenes connection to allow it.

I said this before, but didn't get any confirmation or rejection (that I noticed). But I don't think the carriers are allowed to restrict tethering on 4G. That's just something in the back of my head.

Upvote 0
Yep thats right i have unlimited data, up untill this update i was able to use foxfi or another app to use the phones native tethering, now, however, it no longer works. just want to let everyone know that if you update you will lose your unlimited tethering

It won't help me answer your question, but it may help others if you disclose who your carrier is.

Also, why did you have to use an app with the native tethering? I just go into Settings/Connections/More Networks and turn on tethering.

Upvote 0
It won't help me answer your question, but it may help others if you disclose who your carrier is.

Also, why did you have to use an app with the native tethering? I just go into Settings/Connections/More Networks and turn on tethering.

i appologize, i thought i said that i was verizon.

because when i try to turn on the tethering a message pops up saying "checking subscription status" then an error window appears saying " you need to call verizon to subscribe" before i could just hit the home button and the window would go away. Now though the tethering never starts. as if there was an extra step added during this update.

Upvote 0
i appologize, i thought i said that i was verizon.

because when i try to turn on the tethering a message pops up saying "checking subscription status" then an error window appears saying " you need to call verizon to subscribe" before i could just hit the home button and the window would go away. Now though the tethering never starts. as if there was an extra step added during this update.

Sorry, I missed that you said Verizon (and didn't realize the thread I was in).

But I would again ask why you're using an app. Why not just turn on tethering in Settings/Connections/More Networks/Mobile Hotspot?

Upvote 0
this is what i get when i try to tether, before you could bypass this check. this is no longer the case

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-05-13-42-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-05-13-42-55.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0
this is what i get when i try to tether, before you could bypass this check. this is no longer the case

Must be something in the phone that now checks for 3rd party tethering Apps in the latest update.

I can only speak for Verizon (what we have) they used to have a $30 a month unlimited plan, but tethering was a separate billable item. $20 for 2gb I think it was.

Now unlimited is gone except for the few that are buying phones outright just to keep the service. Everything else is share everything plans on 2/4/6/8/10+ GB that includes tethering as you get charged if/when you go over your limit.

Upvote 0

Verizon now has this feature locked to their system to do this check when you enable this feature. You will get this message if you have the old unlimited data plan. If you have the new Share Everything plan this feature is included.

Reactions: DanDroide
Upvote 0
I've got 4.3 now and I'm not happy... KNOX infuriates me, my battery is half of what it was before the update and my signal quality has tanked. MD5 was a great release, ME7 started going down hill... now this crap sandwich. I'd read about the KNOX software and wasn't impressed. I somewhat knew the 4.3 update would have it but I guess I didn't realize that 4.3 would be THIS OTA. The minute I saw KNOX on there I almost threw my phone against the wall. Does anyone know if KNOX is something that Android will have in general on all devices or is the something limited to the Samsung user experience? If the HTC's wont have it, I'll switch back to HTC.

Upvote 0
I've got 4.3 now and I'm not happy... KNOX infuriates me, my battery is half of what it was before the update and my signal quality has tanked. MD5 was a great release, ME7 started going down hill... now this crap sandwich. I'd read about the KNOX software and wasn't impressed. I somewhat knew the 4.3 update would have it but I guess I didn't realize that 4.3 would be THIS OTA. The minute I saw KNOX on there I almost threw my phone against the wall. Does anyone know if KNOX is something that Android will have in general on all devices or is the something limited to the Samsung user experience? If the HTC's wont have it, I'll switch back to HTC.

What app is using the battery? I'd check that since although there are some complaints about 4.3, your complaints seem to be somewhat unique. Battery charging has been an issue for some, but I've not seen new drain issues. And other than some wi-fi connection issues, I've not heard of any signal quality issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones