Verizon said a gmail account is necessary...why?

Last Updated:

1. westside

westside Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I got my droid Verizon had me sign up for a gmail account. Does anyone know why I need this?

-e

Advertisement
  2. iPhoneMilk

iPhoneMilk Well-Known Member

because it's a google device...

When you turn it on for the first time it also asks for your gmail information.

Trust me this is a positive thing.

I had to drag my Dad by tooth and nail just to get him to sign up for a Gmail account. but once you do you will NEVER go back to anything else.

It;s a whole world of good.. look into all of the features of being on gmail... Picasa pictures... google calender, voice, tasks, the list goes on and on...

Welcome to gmail, Welcome to google.

3. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

so they can control your life better (only half kidding).

4. westside

westside Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I already have an email account and have had the same domain for over 10 years. I'll never send email from gmail. Is there some functional reason for having this? Like I won't get updates if I don't have it?

5. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I don't believe the device can be activated with out a Google Account. It won't be able to backup data...

6. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

Contacts will be backed up on it.

If you put a lock on your phone, and for get the lock code, it'll serve as verification so that you can get back on the phone.

You can create POIs on Google Maps Navigation for quick navigation

Also the GMail app is much much better than the general email app on this phone. It's not necessary, but if you can have messages from your other email addresses forwarded to your gmail, I'd highly recommend it. You can set it up so you send email from the other email address.

There are other benefits, but these come to mind first.

7. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

It is the same reason signing up for XBox live you need a hotmail account (albeit it is more annoying in that case). You are buying a Google phone, why would you object to getting a login for Google?

You could always forward your email into or out of Google if you have another email already. They make it easy to do so.

8. svtpickemup

svtpickemup Member

They signed you up for one....

Now, just use it for phone required functions like Market Purchases and backup.

You can still setup your old email account on the phone.

It's not a big deal, really. I promise. It will be ok.

9. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

I feel like I am really selling my soul to Google. First it was their search, then GMAIL, then Google Apps, then Wave, now I just got Google Voice over the weekend and I get a Droid today..

Wonder when they're going to make a car...

10. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. oceanlight

the more tied in you are to google's apps the less likely you are to leave their "sphere of influence". they try to make all their products complementary and meshed together as much as possible. MS does this with their OS as well. what makes google more insidious imo is that all your info resides in the cloud, on their servers. they "see" everything you do. This is in contrast to MS's more traditional model that mostly just ties you to your OS, and your info remains on your own hardware. although MS is moving to cloud-based stuff as well.

12. jroryl

jroryl Active Member

13. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Heh, I'm stuck one foot in two different spheres of influence. One is in googles and the other is in Apple's..... I still haven't found a decent wysiwyg web page creation software better than iWeb on the mac. Almost all of our media at home is on iTunes, though not strictly drm'd, that would just be the movies and tv shows, which for me isn't a big deal. I've been trying to untie myself from Apple, but I'm just sinking into Google's grasp.

14. oceanlight

yeah apple certainly does do it as well (arguably more so than MS or google). it's a great business model. but the whole cloud thing makes it a bit extra creepy.