• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon says tiered data in on the way

OK - no killing the messenger now but I read this yesterday and it is actually dated 6.18.2010...

Verizon's 3G Data Plans Aren't Changing | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

If you don't want to bother reading the short article, here's an excerpt: "For the record, Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney said there are no current plans to change Verizon's 3G smartphone data plans."

The keyword there is "current". :p

I like how everyone (except Railz) just ignored this post. Maybe this will help:

" Bloomberg ran a story this morning which is being misinterpreted by some as Verizon following in AT&T's footsteps lowering caps on 3G data plans, when it looks to me like nothing of the sort."

"For the record, Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney said there are no current plans to change Verizon's 3G smartphone data plans."

Reactions: Wickiup
Upvote 0
LOL --- seek first to understand, then be understood --- The article is similar but different - however it is longer with a little more info and details ---

The first giant red quote refers to the source for that exact article you linked to.

EDIT: Hmm. OK I read more. The headline for their article is misleading as it suggests it is like the other articles that say Verizon is ending unlimited plans. You can see my frustration though considering how many people just glossed over the fact that they are currently only considering capping 4G (LTE) plans in the future, and not 3G.

Upvote 0
I read them both before the post, LOL - however, nice try --- but the point is both articles come to a kind of different conclusion --- 1st article leaves you with the impression no to 3g, it probably won't happen by the spokeswomen --- and the other article leaves you to believe, Well, not yet but maybe ...

As the article states, "The bottom line is that Verizon is looking at a tiered model for data plans, but not immediately, and not for 3G data plans (at least not yet)"

Upvote 0
I read them both before the post, LOL - however, nice try --- but the point is both articles come to a kind of different conclusion --- 1st article leaves you with the impression no to 3g, it probably won't happen by the spokeswomen --- and the other article leaves you to believe, Well, not yet but maybe ...

As the article states, "The bottom line is that Verizon is looking at a tiered model for data plans, but not immediately, and not for 3G data plans (at least not yet)"

Considering the bandwidth difference between 3G and 4G, it's pretty likely that by the time the 4G devices start rolling out the bandwidth usage from EVDO (3G) really won't be significant compared to LTE (4G). I suppose it's possible that they could cap 3G data usage, but by that time all the "power users" that supposedly put the strain on the system will be using 4G anyway so there wouldn't be much point.

Upvote 0
Verizon Indirect Dealer Memo
As of this morning we have been given the green light to start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective 7/7/11.
$29.99 unlimited data will be discontinued effective 7/7/11
  • EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited plan after 7/7/11
  • EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)
  • EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post 7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature
  • NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our $29.99 unlimited data package
  • NEW CUSTOMERS- Any new customer that set up service AFTER 7/7/2011, WILL NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited plan
  • BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have
  • BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.
  • Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the business e-mail feature)

Upvote 0
I dont think this is allthat bad since all who are customers now will keep there unlimited (UFN....Until further notice)

Verizon Indirect Dealer Memo
As of this morning we have been given the green light to start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective 7/7/11.
$29.99 unlimited data will be discontinued effective 7/7/11
  • EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited plan after 7/7/11
  • EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)
  • EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post 7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature
  • NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our $29.99 unlimited data package
  • NEW CUSTOMERS- Any new customer that set up service AFTER 7/7/2011, WILL NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited plan
  • BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have
  • BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.
  • Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the business e-mail feature)

Upvote 0
so I work for an indirect dealer for verizon, this memo posted is essentially the same one I recieved. They have been rather obtuse in the even of what will happen to people after their contract or during renewals after 7/7/11. However, I process upgrades all the time for customers who still have old Alltel plans, and who have had them for years and years. Just yesterday I upgraded two people to inc2's on a 6 year old alltel plan and the system did not make me change their price plan at all. So to me, that means that even when you do an upgrade, they may not force you to change to tiered data if you already have unlimited. even if its done after 7/7/11. Just my .02

But, I'm not happy about the change, and obviously many people share my stance on this. I don't use more than 2gb's a month very often. But if your gonna take away my unlimited use, why charge me the same for less? Makes no sense. Make that 2gb package $20 or something like that. Save me and the other loyal customers some money. Just a thought..

Upvote 0
Not sure if I've ever gone over 2Gb or not. When they eventually remove the grandfathering, I think I'll seriously have to debate the need for a smartphone at all since they're pricing themselves out of the market.

Seems more sensible to use a wireless hotspot device (so long as they remain unlimited) and use a laptop or Ipad instead paired with a dumbphone. Wouldn't bother me a bit to blow the dust off one of my junk drawer phones.

Upvote 0
so I just got a document today that said "In general, customers who have unlimited and upgrade after 7/7/11 will get to keep their unlimited data" Not sure why it says "in general" but that is kind of good news for all of us.

Basically, if you don't have unlimited before 7/7, you won't get it. But if you have it, sounds like they won't be taking it away after the fact. Things can change.

I would post a pic, but I'm at work, and stuff needs to be blurred out on the document and I can't do that at the moment.

Upvote 0
I spoke with *611 CSA today and she confirmed to me that if I keep my data plan unchanged I will be able to keep my unlimited data. I asked if I changed to a 4G phone if that is a change or if it is the same. She said the only way it would be a change is if I added a 4G modem. But if I kept the data plan as "unlimited" then it would stay unlimited regardless of what phone I use on it. The phone will upgrade, not the data plan.

Upvote 0
I spoke with *611 CSA today and she confirmed to me that if I keep my data plan unchanged I will be able to keep my unlimited data. I asked if I changed to a 4G phone if that is a change or if it is the same. She said the only way it would be a change is if I added a 4G modem. But if I kept the data plan as "unlimited" then it would stay unlimited regardless of what phone I use on it. The phone will upgrade, not the data plan.
This is what I heard as well. You can bet I will be with Verizon for a long time to come. My data plan won't be changing at all. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones