Verizon start up sound?

Last Updated:

1. EdibleTire

EdibleTire Member This Topic's Starter

So just wonering...did anybody find out a way to disable the loud start up sound on the lg ally? I don't like having my phone on all the time and when I turn it on, I don't want the start up sound playing. Even if the phone is on silent when I turn it off, the sound plays anyway. This seems like it should be a simple fix, but I have yet to see any change since the recent android update. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. x-amp

x-amp Well-Known Member

I dont know if there is a better way to disable it but i igure, you could just override the sound file with just plain silence.

3. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

I imagine that you can only do this by installing a custom ROM, but who knows for sure. I certainly found the audio file that is used when starting up the LG Ally, though. It's at /system/sounds/poweron/PowerOn.mp3. If you access your phone through ADB or a Terminal Emulator on the phone while rooted, you can simply issue the command, "playmp3" and it will play the audio file as a test.

I tried renaming/moving the above file at its location, but even with root access, it won't let me. It says the directory is read-only anyway.

4. x-amp

x-amp Well-Known Member

thats odd, i have rooted my phone and i used root explorer and overwrote the file with something else to play. works just fine, you just have to remember to mount r/w so you can write the file. dont forget to backup the original though.

Paycer likes this.
  5. EdibleTire

EdibleTire Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies, everybody. So it seems like the most annoying things about android phones can only be fixed by rooting the phone. I was really trying to avoid doing that, cuz I've always had bad luck at these kind of things, but oh well. Thanks anyway

6. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

lmao of course. I completely forgot about needing to mount in order to be able to modify. I'm still a bit new with Android. Thanks for that, x-amp.

7. x-amp

x-amp Well-Known Member

no problem, im still figuring out things myself.

8. lon4321

lon4321 New Member

Anyone needs help with the lg ally contact me 8505166753

9. flick159

flick159 Well-Known Member

You can also simply remove the file. It's located in /system/sounds the file is named poweron.mp3