• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Stock phone app

lefrogdog

Lurker
Sep 28, 2011
I have this horrible looking stock phone app and caller on the galaxy s4 for Verizon. Its a white with black borders. If you refer to the S3 there was a darker color. Reminds me of the windows phones with the the boxes and bad colors. if the attachments showed correctly the darker one if preferred and the other is whats on it now. Im not going to root because my warranty is to much to lose (bad experience) for a few days old phone. Ive looked for a way to change the theme out right. Asking to see if any others had luck. If all else fails I hear dailer one and GO Contacts EX are alternatives, but that also just changes the dailer/contacts. The calling part is also this ugly theme.

Attachments

• GSIII42-620x1102.jpg
    GSIII42-620x1102.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Samsung-Galaxy-S4-VS-HTC-One-Dialer.jpg
    Samsung-Galaxy-S4-VS-HTC-One-Dialer.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 82
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 93
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 98
I have a little bit of a learnign curve coming from the Nexus Prime, but I just got my GS4 today. Rooted and CWM installed. Nandroid backup made. I will be modding this rom and will do a black themed dialer. Already have blacked out my GMail, ES Explorer & Dropbox. Many more to come. Just trying not to overwrite any of the new apps that support gestures. That really kills me on the new email app, I want that sucker to be blacked out. Basically I am looking to port over my MultiMod for the JDX ROM over to GS4.

Upvote 0
So I now have inverted versions of Amazon, Craig's List, Ebay, Facebook, Google Drive, Play Music, Google+, Hangouts, Linked In, Maps, Facebook Messenger, Pandora, Pinterest, ES File Explorer, GMail, Google Reader, Market and YouTube all installed and working. Some of these were a challenge because despite rooting, I can't mount the file system as Read/Write. Titanium Backup is working fine to confirm root and I have ClockworkMod working fine too. Anyone else having this issue? It seems like our kernel is preventing full access despite root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones