• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon switching to AT&T-style limited data plans?

Just an fyi, but my sources at VZW corporate are saying that there is no current plan to introduce tiered data plans. Their marketing department is actually telling the CSRs to talk up the unlimited data. They are also allowing a lot of people to do upgrades 30 days early, which wouldn't make any sense at all if they could force them to wait and upgrade to new tiered pricing. All of this screams rumor to me.

How many times has one of these Bloggers said the sky was falling and it still stayed up there? I seam to remember a number of "articles" claiming the Eris would never get 2.1, but it still came out for some reason.

Upvote 0
Just an fyi, but my sources at VZW corporate are saying that there is no current plan to introduce tiered data plans. Their marketing department is actually telling the CSRs to talk up the unlimited data. They are also allowing a lot of people to do upgrades 30 days early, which wouldn't make any sense at all if they could force them to wait and upgrade to new tiered pricing. All of this screams rumor to me.

How many times has one of these Bloggers said the sky was falling and it still stayed up there? I seam to remember a number of "articles" claiming the Eris would never get 2.1, but it still came out for some reason.

can you mod the incredible forum too? :p

Upvote 0
I have learned over the relatively few years that I have been alive that until I hear or read an OFFICIAL announcement, it is just a rumor. Rumors are nothing but people talking.

Think about the telephone game we have all had to play at one point in time or another. The first person whispers something to the next person and continues down the line. By the time the message gets to the last person, it is not even remotely close to what was originally said.

That is what is seeming to happen here. Verizon said that they were going to switch to tiered data plans sometime int he future. Then some blogger said the data plans were going to match AT&T's new data plans. Then some other blogger said that the switch was going to be made this month (July).

It's all just rumors. Until I can go to Verizon's website and read an official statement or call them and get an official statement over the phone, I'm just going to continue enjoying what I have.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I would like to point out how terrible engadget has been with information recently. They were flat wrong about the last two "iphone coming to vzw" scares. They anounce oOTA updates that don't happen for weeks and seem to have a real hard-on for vzw and android for that matter. I wouldn't consider them a reliable source anymore.

That being said I'm becoming a bit disatisfied with VZW latly. First came the realization that unless I got back to a pre paid phone I'm stuck with service fees that resemble a small car payment...WTF? This is without visuall voicemail and wifitether. Then upon my research on the droid x I realize they are putting a lot of effort into locking down the Android OS. I didn't mind a few apps preloaded that I couldn't take off but there's a ton of bloat ware I will never use because I'm no way paying $3 for visual VM so I can up my small car payment.

I like VZW just fine for now, but they are walking that line again and if they cross it I'll let my contract expire again and buy phones outright so I can jump carriers at will. I just don't understand why they developed VZ nav only to be shut down by google nav. Then they make visual VM only to be trumped with google voice. They should have their programers work on pushing out OTA updates in a reasonable time frame instead.

Upvote 0
Tell that to the people who have been complaining about currently having to pay for those with high data use when they don't use it, such as the people wanting to not have any data plan and be limited to voice and Wi-Fi.

I have absolutely thought about differing views.

AT&T's plans are either too pitifully low to be really useful (I think 200 MBs), or only $5 cheaper.

So, pitifully low, or $5 cheaper for only 2 GBs compared to 5 GBs.

200 MB costs $15 (half of the current unlimited). If you go over 200 MB, you automatically purchase a seperate 200 MB plan for $15... (you just paid your unlimited price... for 400 MB).

2 GB costs $25 ($5 less than the current unlimited). If you go over, then you automatically purchase a separate 2 GB plan for $25. That's $50.

It too often seems that people take anything that doesn't support their personal perspective is seen as being directed at them without considering that it may actually be intended to try to benefit others with different views.

Have I thought this through from different sides? Yes. This is designed to get people to use less data while continuing to pay the same, or more money.

It's about gouging.

Are there some people that will benefit? Yes.

Was it designed to benefit those people? No.

And that has nothing to do with your perspective. It has everything to do with the motives of the company that made the changes.

Upvote 0
I'm a global mod:D

venus.jpg

Hooray for global mods.

:D

Upvote 0
Phone minutes have become a NORM for service providers, DATA is where the money is right now and probably down the road. More and more capabilities of cell phones/smart-phones are DATA driven, and more of a cost factor for service providers to supply technical equipment for increase supply of handling OTA DATA.

The money maker is DATA.
I still want them to drop my minutes and let me go with a data/messaging only plan. I can use Skype over 3G to make calls and it would be just fine. VZW is promoting Skype anyway. That would allow them to bring back the unlimited data since it would be justified. And with this awesome new LTE/4G thing they have going on, shouldn't it be able to support more bandwidth? As soon as AT&T said they were doing I knew VZW would... just makes since. The same thing happened with unlimited messaging plans, one started and they all followed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones