[Verizon] The boot loader (US VERSION)

Last Updated: 2012-07-30 07:43:55
  1. chill145

chill145 Well-Known Member

yeah, I had them when I was still in my family plan and they weren't the best company to deal with. I might not have a choice though, only thing they aren't carrying the 32gb version like tmobile is

Advertisement
  2. Metfanant

Metfanant Well-Known Member

HAHA! you didnt own a Droid X did you?
  3. npro1464

npro1464 Well-Known Member

Pre-paid here I come!! VZ just made it a no-brainer for me. An encrypted boot loader is a huge no-no for me, especially if this is my last upgrade ever.

It will be a long wait til next May with my Thunderbolt, but it'll be worth it!!
  4. fbm111

fbm111 Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous at this point. Let the phone get into the hands of the powers to be before you all think strictly doom and gloom.
  5. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

For me it's the principle of the thing and the fact that this sets a precedence. The sgs3 may be rooted, but the bootloader is still encrypted which means no custom kernels.
  6. NightxFall

NightxFall Well-Known Member

Dont give up hope yet, the devs may find a way to crack it. Theres already a ton of dev's, some who dont even have the device yet, working on the bootloader. When the actual phone launches, we'll have a ton more.
  7. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

I'm sure people will try but cracking encrypted bootloaders is more daunting than rooting. I'm a bit worried the bootloader being locked will scare devs away. I'm not very hopeful for AOKP
  8. Metfanant

like the Droid X?

like the Droid X?

:D
    bbuck002 and jkc120 like this.
  9. fbm111

fbm111 Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Phone is not out yet and you keep saying like the DROID X?

I happen to follow quit a few Devs on twitter and I bet this will be taken care of before Tuesday.

Try having a little patience.
  10. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

We shouldn't have to be even having this discussion. Verizon is the ONLY carrier in the entire world carrying the sgs3 that decided to lock the bootloader. And I think you're way overly optimistic about the bootloader being unlocked by Tuesday when it doesn't even launch until Tuesday. Time will tell, but I'm sure the locked bootloader is pissing plenty of devs off (@supercurio for one). True it's not a Motorola bootloader encryption, but it's still not anywhere close to a gimme.
  11. Metfanant

i exercised 2 years of patience as a DX owner :p

1. People not familiar with Moto devices and the consequences of the bootloader being encrypted don't fully understand how much effort was put into cracking the DX

2. i have plenty of patience, however im not interested in locking myself into a phone and a contract (without unlimited data) for the next two years with no idea whether it will be unlocked or not...so for the time being, it is MY OPINION that sticking with my already locked down DX which is running very nicely on Liberty3 Gingerbread and keeping my unlimited data plan is the right move...

i pre-ordered the SGS3 under the assumption it would be unlocked, if this is achieved then i will re-order
  12. fbm111

fbm111 Well-Known Member

I am using a rzr right now. I am very familiar with locked bootloader.

I will even go out on limb and say by tomorrow morning it will be taken care off. It is Samsung not Motorola.
  13. Metfanant

i can only say i hope youre right...and if that is true...then i will be very happy and back on the phone with VZW and placing my order again
  14. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

I wish I shared your confidence. We'll see.
  15. jackdubl

jackdubl Well-Known Member

Was the Thunderbolt bootloader locked in a similar way? And since this is the only S3 version that is locked, would it be possible to downgrade somehow back to Samsung's original software somehow?
  16. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28420589
    So much for the locked bootloader...
  17. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

18. SirKronan

SirKronan Well-Known Member

Hacks are ok, as long as we can do custom kernels there is hope. I have lots of hope mainly because this is a Samsung and NOT a Motorola.
  19. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Well hopefully they gain access to the boot partition and are able to boot from it. Having to boot to recovery to boot a custom kernel every time you reboot is kind of a PITA. They say they're working on it, though. :thumbup:
  20. jackdubl

jackdubl Well-Known Member

Especially for those of us utilizing multiple batteries. I like never having to plug my phone into a charger.
  21. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Verizon sucks... Really, Verizon? The only US carrier to lock down the SGIII bootloader.

What a crappy distinction for Verizon. :(

Just got off the phone with a Verizon CS rep. She had absolutely no idea what I was talking about when I told her the reason why I wanted to cancel my preorder for the 2 SGIII phones I preordered for two lines on our family plan, "what's a bootloader?"

The phones are in the process of being sent out today, so I can't cancel the order. Will have to ship the phones back unopened, or return the phones unopened to a Verizon corporate store for credit back to my account.

I'm going to wait for all the contracts on all lines on our family plan to expire, then I'll seriously think about switching to another carrier. Been with Verizon for ages now.
  22. Metfanant

jkc120 likes this.
  23. timelord65

timelord65 Well-Known Member

Stop knocking the droid x, it had a locked and encrypted boot loader. It still had many great roms that were loved by its users. We're even running ICS roms. Does it suck that the s3 boot loader is locked, yeah. But all this doom and gloom is still rather amusing. Especially so soon after its release.
  24. Eryl Flynn

Eryl Flynn Well-Known Member

Mostly because it was popular AND being one of the first with a locked bootloader it was a challenge. Dev community is just sick of locked bootloaders.
  25. kmoore11

kmoore11 Well-Known Member

I agree with the first part, but there is no way that second part is true. Verizon did not receive them from Samsung, open each one up, hook it up and lock the bootloader.