• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon To Start Selling Iphone In early 2011...

To clarify the situation, I merged the "Verizon iPhone" thread with this one. The thread Jedii started was originally in the Lounge and he had contacted me about it. I thought it was fine, since it had received quite a few replies and it was a nice discussion. Also, a search for Verizon iPhone would not bring any interesting results. However, it has since been moved in the Verizon subforum by a Guide, and we can't blame him for that at all. Merging the two threads did not disrupt the conversation flow, as there weren't any replies in this thread since the other one had been posted.

To keep it on topic, I don't care much for the iPhone to get another carrier or not, even if it's as big as Verizon. Android has received a lot of attention and I doubt the project is going to stop anytime soon. ;)

Thanks!! :)

Upvote 0
3. Verizon has us thinking LTE is just around the corner. Now, it is confirmed for several cities, but to actually believe that Verizon's entire 3G spectrum to be intergrated with LTE is a longshot.

Major cities in 2011 (and that's including Montgomery Alabama as a Major city, which is pretty impressive).

Everywhere they have 3G to have 4G by 2012.

I don't see why you consider that a "longshot". As it is what they have clearly stated.

Upvote 0
Major cities in 2011 (and that's including Montgomery Alabama as a Major city, which is pretty impressive).

Everywhere they have 3G to have 4G by 2012.

I don't see why you consider that a "longshot". As it is what they have clearly stated.

Verizon "hopes" to have LTE over the entire current 3G spectrum by 4th quarter 2012. That would be amazing, but we still need to see it happen. Make sense?

The whole point of me stating that was, why would Apple NOT release a CDMA verison now. I dont think LTE is a valid reason to hold off production of this device.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
True. But, the device is very successful due to Apples control. I think Verizon accepts that. Well, i guess i hope Verizon will accept that. lol

The device is very successful. I personally think that Apple's control on the iPhone limits how successful it can be.

There are plenty that think that as well. I don't think Verizon is going to roll over for the iPhone, especially since they are already outselling the iPhone.

Upvote 0
Verizon "hopes" to have LTE over the entire current 3G spectrum by 4th quarter 2012. That would be amazing, but we still need to see it happen. Make sense?

The whole point of me stating that was, why would Apple NOT release a CDMA verison now. I dont think LTE is a valid reason to hold off production of this device.

Just my opinion.

Because, if Apple releases the iPhone on CDMA, as 4G rolls out, it will be the 3G iphone on the 4G network. This will not look good on the iPhone and Apple is HUGELY concerned about image. That's the same reason that they won't do a 3G/4G iPhone. They cannot stand the idea of someone talking bad about their product because the battery drains quickly.

Upvote 0
Because, if Apple releases the iPhone on CDMA, as 4G rolls out, it will be the 3G iphone on the 4G network. This will not look good on the iPhone and Apple is HUGELY concerned about image. That's the same reason that they won't do a 3G/4G iPhone. They cannot stand the idea of someone talking bad about their product because the battery drains quickly.

Then i'm curious as to why Apple allowed the iPhone 4 to be a 3G launch. If you read ATT press releases on HSPA+, they arent too far behind Verizon.

If at least 50% of the coverage map will stay 3G until at least 3rd quarter 2012, i would without regret launch the device on 3G.

Oh, lets not forget the first iPhone. (in regards to your comment about Apple's image). It was 2G. ATT had over 70% of their map 3G. Just saying...

Upvote 0
Im in no way stating Verizon will "roll over"

Then you agree that Verizon isn't going to be as... compliant with Apple as AT&T has been. That's not what you've indicated in your posts though.

Its not about outselling the device. Its about meeting customer demands.

If a large amount of your customer base would like an iPhone or constantly inquires about it, i say meet their demands.

I can't find anything in the last two months that indicates this is the case.

Don't get me wrong. I find lots of polls that show Verizon users really wanted the iPhone back in March, but now... not so much.

There is a reason that Android is outselling the iPhone Globally, and it's not because the iPhone is only on one network in the US.

I'm not saying that NONE of Verizon's customers want an iPhone. I'm just saying that it is no longer at a fever pitch like it was.

It will do nothing help continue to grow the business for Big Red.

According to recent surveys, they would be able to get about 23% of the current iPhone users.

That's a sizable number of users. However, I don't see Verizon putting in the marketing to undo the "What the iPhone doesn't, Droid Does" prior to 4G.

Upvote 0
Yes. I 100% agree with Verizon not being as compliant, but how much will that actually impact Apple? I do not know.

Trust me. Its still a fever pitch. It always will be. Its just how things are. But, i do see your point.

And about the undo Droid Does. That is the beauty of this. Verizon will have both worlds now. The iPhone is an incredible device. Very easy to use and an attractive device. But, the Droids (most of them at least :p) is for the rest of us. The ones who want everything in a single device. There are many of us out there. :)

Upvote 0
Then i'm curious as to why Apple allowed the iPhone 4 to be a 3G launch. If you read ATT press releases on HSPA+, they arent too far behind Verizon.

If at least 50% of the coverage map will stay 3G until at least 3rd quarter 2012, i would without regret launch the device on 3G.

It launched three years ago.

Oh, lets not forget the first iPhone. (in regards to your comment about Apple's image). It was 2G. ATT had over 70% of their map 3G. Just saying...

And android didn't exist then.

There were no similar phones outselling the iPhone at that point.

There was no comparison to make.

It was the iPhone or... blackberry?

Now, if the iPhone appears behind... then it IS behind. Apple will not have such a clear distinction made between the iPhone and Android.

Upvote 0
look like it will happen

Apple puts Verizon iPhone 4 in field testing: iPhone 5 is in EVT phase | GadgetGlass.com

Apple puts Verizon iPhone 4 in field testing: iPhone 5 is in EVT phase

Posted on October 19, 2010, filed in: Gadgets, Phones, Tech News

By Amanda Lewis
There is new rumor with regards to the release of Verizon iPhone 4 / CDMA iPhone. According to Boy Genius Report (BGR), high anticipated CDMA technology iPhone (or iPhone model 3.2) have been tested in the field. Erictric reported that the Apple has completed the hardware of the phone however it is still on its way to finalize the software of Verizon iPhone 4.
iphone-4-590x374-300x190.jpg
Field Testing is one of the final steps for any product development. Generally this type of testing happens when product is very close to its launch. If the report is believed to be true then it means that Apple is surely releasing Verizon iPhone or CDMA based iPhone 4 in few weeks or possibly few months.
The source also told the blog that iPhone 5, which is due to be released on June 2010, is in the Engineering Verification Phase (EVP).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones