[Verizon] Traveling to Europe with Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Eibach, May 21, 2012.

1. Eibach

Eibach New Member

May 21, 2012
    I will be traveling to Europe for a little over a month in the summer.

I have the Verizion version of the Galaxy Nexus. And I really would like to use it over there. However I know that it doesnt work because of the network type they use over there.

I dont want to buy the GSM version of the phone just to go over there but I was wondering if there are any other options that I have

I will be using my phone for mostly calls and text. I can use WIFI for all my data.

Advertisement

2. artman540

artman540 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Restaurant manager
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Only thing you can do is use wifi and Google Voice or something similar.

3. in2uition

in2uition Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Philly
  4. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    calls and texts? have you looked at the cost? 1.99 a minute i think and a separate charge for outgoing and incoming text messages.

I travel to Asia often and have with my G Nex already. I use it on wifi only in airplane mode.

Your phone may work depending on what part of Europe you're in. Believe it or not there are a few CDMA companies out there.

5. Eibach

Eibach New Member

May 21, 2012
    What is the point of using this vs just dialing through google voice itself?

6. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    PA
    Google Voice is not a voip service and cannot make internet calls. In Europe, the only way to make calls is via wifi using a voip service like Skype, Fring, etc.

Other options would be to get a cheap (used?) gsm phone and slap a prepaid sim in it when you get there for calls. They have cheap traveller's phones there too, I believe.

Verizon can also give you a loaner for travelling- probably charge an arm and a leg though.

7. trophynuts

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    Usually when i travel i use a combo of Skype on my laptop and I get a local calling card for dirt cheap to use on land lines. Everyone's needs are different though.

8. val88

val88 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I think you can buy a pay as you go mifi and use that as a hotspot for your GN. I did research on it for my office but that was for domestic use and not international. But I'm guessing somebody will offer something like that. Maybe even a carrier in europe.

Caveat is that you need to get a mifi device.

9. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    But is it anything that the handset can use? There is some 450 MHz stuff in a few places, particularly Nordic countries, but the handset won't support that band.

I can't think of anything else. The UMTS 3G is technically W-CDMA 2100, which can cause confusion as it uses a CDMA air interface, but it's a different standard as well as frequency band.

10. trophynuts

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    if i'm not mistaken there maybe some places in Germany even though it's mostly covered by Vodafone which obviously is GSM.

I do know that South East Asia has some CDMA coverage because i've used it there on my VZW devices.

11. Eibach

Eibach New Member

May 21, 2012
    So if i were to use that app it would go over data?

Also do you think it would be a good idea to fork up the 400$ for a gsm version https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Galaxy_Nexus_HSPA?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

Then just return it when i get back?

12. in2uition

in2uition Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Philly
    colchiro and trophynuts like this.
  13. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    PA
    You would need wifi to use a voip app.

14. Eibach