• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Ubuntu Mobile?

I think I'm missing the point with the Ubuntu phones. What is the advantage again? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about new features and OS design but I just don't see why I would want this.

If Android is geared more for the "tech savvy consumer"...who is Ubuntu for? Tech super geek? LOL!

Anything it can do that I can't already do on an Android device? Docking the phone to get the full Ubuntu desktop isn't going to mean much to many people...or am I off base here?

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I think I'm missing the point with the Ubuntu phones. What is the advantage again? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about new features and OS design but I just don't see why I would want this.

If Android is geared more for the "tech savvy consumer"...who is Ubuntu for? Tech super geek? LOL!

Anything it can do that I can't already do on an Android device? Docking the phone to get the full Ubuntu desktop isn't going to mean much to many people...or am I off base here?

Android is a mobile OS, where Ubuntu is a fully featured desktop OS. For comparisons sake.. its like putting the full Macintosh OS onto an iOS device, or would of been like putting windows xp onto a windows mobile device(windows 8 pretty much accomplished this).

If VZW GNex image appears it would also extend the usefulness of the phone... after I move onto another phone, I could use the Gnex as a replacement for one of my older Ubuntu laptops. The Gnex actually is superior hardware wise to 2 of them :p

But this feature is really only going to appeal to certain users ( the tech super geek as you put it :D)

Upvote 0
But Ubuntu apps are currently intended for use with a computer. Compatibility would still be an issue between mobile and desktop apps right?

Windows 8 and Windows Phone are trying this same concept of making your computer and phone as similar as possible and Windows Phone is not very popular at all despite some excellent hardware. Microsoft has many more computers running it's software than Ubuntu does so I'm just wondering how this can catch on...

Maybe it's just because I'm not a Linux PC guy. I tried Kubuntu and as much as I wanted to like a free PC OS, I couldn't get used to it.

Upvote 0
Well Linux seems to be catching on as the average user discovers their options aren't limited to a Mac or Windows PC.

Now as far as Ubuntu mobile, I'll probably be compelled to try it as I have a crack flashing addiction. I'll check it out on my nexus 7 first. I hear as of right now you need USB OTG as there's some problems with the Bluetooth.
Personally on my computer I dual boot Windows 8 and fedora 16. Windows because there's some things I just can't get to work with wine.

Upvote 0
But Ubuntu apps are currently intended for use with a computer. Compatibility would still be an issue between mobile and desktop apps right?

Windows 8 and Windows Phone are trying this same concept of making your computer and phone as similar as possible and Windows Phone is not very popular at all despite some excellent hardware. Microsoft has many more computers running it's software than Ubuntu does so I'm just wondering how this can catch on...

Maybe it's just because I'm not a Linux PC guy. I tried Kubuntu and as much as I wanted to like a free PC OS, I couldn't get used to it.
Yep, ubuntu applications are designed for a desktop (keyboard/mouse), which is why full Ubuntu mode (on the phone) only works when docked. When docked you can use a keyboard/mouse. But also when docked you will have full access to the Android OS too. It's the reverse of having the "Bluestacks" player on your PC. Bluestacks puts the Android OS on your PC, and Canonical is putting your PC onto your phone.
Run Mobile Apps on Windows PC or Mac with BlueStacks | Android App Player

I don't think Canonical's intention is to make this something everyone will want. This will appeal to a good amount of people, but just not a huge proportion of the smart phone users.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
Yep, ubuntu applications are designed for a desktop (keyboard/mouse), which is why full Ubuntu mode (on the phone) only works when docked. When docked you can use a keyboard/mouse. But also when docked you will have full access to the Android OS too. It's the reverse of having the "Bluestacks" player on your PC. Bluestacks puts the Android OS on your PC, and Canonical is putting your PC onto your phone.
Run Mobile Apps on Windows PC or Mac with BlueStacks | Android App Player

I don't think Canonical's intention is to make this something everyone will want. This will appeal to a good amount of people, but just not a huge proportion of the smart phone users.

Thanks for the explanation. What threw me for a loop was not that there would be flashable images for Android phones...but actual hardware for these devices eventually. That takes money, carrier agreements, etc. You have to be able to sell enough of them to justify the cost of production and hopefully turn a profit. Just don't see hundreds of thousands of people buying a Ubuntu phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation. What threw me for a loop was not that there would be flashable images for Android phones...but actual hardware for these devices eventually. That takes money, carrier agreements, etc. You have to be able to sell enough of them to justify the cost of production and hopefully turn a profit. Just don't see hundreds of thousands of people buying a Ubuntu phone.
Yeah, I'm not sure how the flashable images will work since they say ubuntu will run along side of android. They may not need to touch the radios/firmware, so no carrier functions will be touched. It may be possible that Ubuntu would run just like any other app that only needs stock android to work.

They do describe Ubuntu as an app for the phone here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android but it's not clear if they actually mean it that way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones